• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

3 QBs in 12 years

Say Hey Deac

Reaction score
I'm no college football historian, but I suspect it's unusual that we've basically had 3 4-year starting QBs in a row - Skinner, Price, and Wolford. Is this indeed unusual? One of you college football nerds confirm or disconfirm. Thank you.

Mauk was the starter in 2006 and was injured the first game. So technically Skinner did not "start" the entire season but that's kind of spitting hairs.

And Hinton had some starts too. Still splitting hairs.

I think it’s highly unusual. The years before Skinner were filled with QB controversies. It was nice to have some stability but I’ll like having an experienced starter next year instead of breaking in a freshman.

And brief though it was, Wolford lost his starting job as well.

Ph beat me to it, although I don't think that one is really splitting hairs. Skinner took over immediately and there was no doubt at any point that he'd continue starting. The Wolford/Hinton battle was raging even through much of this year. It hasn't been that stable.

Last edited:
Didn't Stachitas start also?

Dunno, but Kyle Kearns def did.

Still, think Say Hey's point is interesting which is that we've had a fairly unprecedented stretch of consistency in who is under center over the past decade plus.

Dinguses, of course some other guys played QB as well, that's why I used the word "basically." Those 3 guys have started like 90%+ of our games over the past 12 years, which was my point. I suspect that is pretty unusual. For example, it seems like UNC and NCSU have a new QB every year.

Strange nit picking on this thread. Stachitas and Kearns were injury starts, and Hinton's 2 starts were injury starts after Wolford went out against Army. Its three straight 4 year starters, there is no question.

Dinguses, of course some other guys played QB as well, that's why I used the word "basically." Those 3 guys have started like 90%+ of our games over the past 12 years, which was my point. I suspect that is pretty unusual. For example, it seems like UNC and NCSU have a new QB every year.

Pretty unusual for sure. Though your point about NCSU is a bit off. Have had Finley for 2 years, Brissett for 2 years, a transition year in DDs first year, 2 years of glennon and 3 of Wilson. Think a more normal college trend is a new QB every two years.

The QB "battle" between Wolford and Hinton was mostly waged on this board based on 1 preseason quote from Clawson. Wolford was the clear #1 from our 2nd scrimmage on.

Strange nit picking on this thread. Stachitas and Kearns were injury starts, and Hinton's 2 starts were injury starts after Wolford went out against Army. Its three straight 4 year starters, there is no question.
Stachitas started the first couple of games of Tanner's freshman year I'm pretty sure. And hinton last year did win the starting job for the Delaware game in 2016 but then got hurt in the 1st quarter

Last edited:

Was about to post the same thing. When you think of 06-09, you think Skinner. When you think of 10-13, you think Price. And when you think of 14-17, you think Wolford. But I guess picking nits is what internetz message boards are all about.

The QB "battle" between Wolford and Hinton was mostly waged on this board based on 1 preseason quote from Clawson. Wolford was the clear #1 from our 2nd scrimmage on.

Clawson’s rule that a starter doesn’t lose his job due to injury.

Phrased a different way, I would bet that Wake has the highest percentage of snaps taken by three QBs over the past 12 years.

Also worth noting two started as true freshmen. Hinton would give us our third straight starter who had first started as a true freshman.

Back