• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

3 timeouts...we had THREE!

I would rank our most pressing issues as:
1. Defensive personnel
2. Offensive coordinator
3. Offensive line coach
4. Punter/kicker
5. Defensive coordinator
6. Special teams coaching

Four through six could go in almost any order, and it's possible I forgot something.

I disagree about personnel on D. I think out Lb's this year are still young but talented, our db's are solid and most were highly recruited. We are never going to recruit the big defensive linemen. Ever. Their personality profile is typically (according to NFL physchology experts) not going to work at wake.

We are not going to get them. The Big Ten and SEC. Duke Mosby fit the profile of as good as it gets recruiting that area. This is where we have a recruiting puddle.

We have to play fast and creative on D, and I love the way we play there. Their goal is to control the other team and win the TO battle and we did that today against a very explosive team. We have talent

Offense CO-rodiator - GEEEEZ Lobo should have run more clock on that last drive. Seriously he makes bad decisions. He is MEDIOCRE at best, and damnit the rest of this program and I mean PROGRAM is GOOOD.

Last edited:
Why do we have dual defensive coordinators? Are there other teams that do this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoldBeard View Post
We would be 8-2 with a competent offensive coordinator. Not good, competent. He wasn't the primary culprit today, but our last four drives went 25 yards and punt, 19 yards and missed FG, 0 yards and punt, and 5 yards and punt. We mustered only 317 yards of offense and were outgained by over 200 yards; turnovers, short fields, and Camp's punt return kept us in it.
+1,000
The problem isn't just Lobo is a bad OC he is a terrible OL coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGoldBeard View Post
We would be 8-2 with a competent offensive coordinator. Not good, competent. He wasn't the primary culprit today, but our last four drives went 25 yards and punt, 19 yards and missed FG, 0 yards and punt, and 5 yards and punt. We mustered only 317 yards of offense and were outgained by over 200 yards; turnovers, short fields, and Camp's punt return kept us in it.
+1,000
The problem isn't just Lobo is a bad OC he is a terrible OL coach!

Lobo is not TERRIBLE. He is like a mediocre military officer, He can draft a battle plan with hard work and intel. Then when the battle starts he is unable to adjust.

He has been here long enough. Time to move on. This is a must. He is holding the program back.

KEEPER - stop with the LOWF shit. this team is damn good! and Lobo is not. We deserve better. it is Lobo's time to move on and give one of the other guys a shot.

In fact if Lobo were any good he would have moved on by now. He is mediocre. He is not incompetent but he lacks talent.

He does not have a flair for play calling. he does not have that feel. Plus he does not have a good feel for when to be aggressive and when to be conservative. Nothing blunderous, but NOT RIGHT.

Lobo please get one of these head jobs. He deserves it and may well be a good head coach. It is time for a change folks. Especially you KEEPER.

After a great 4th down stop to get the ball on their 34-yard line with a 7-point lead & less than 9 minutes to play....then missing a chip shot FG that would have made it a 2-score game with 5 minutes to play....we got a reprieve when they missed a chip shot FG with 1:18 to play. How in the world do you let the other team get the ball back near midfield with almost a minute left to play....without even using one of their timeouts....in a situation like that???

Absolutely. I am beside myself with this loss. The problem is the LOWF does not see the subtlity here between winning and losing. Lobo does not have "it"

After a great 4th down stop to get the ball on their 34-yard line with a 7-point lead & less than 9 minutes to play....then missing a chip shot FG that would have made it a 2-score game with 5 minutes to play....we got a reprieve when they missed a chip shot FG with 1:18 to play. How in the world do you let the other team get the ball back near midfield with almost a minute left to play....without even using one of their timeouts....in a situation like that???

That's bad. So is giving up two 80 drives for TDs. I find it interesting and frustrating that this board lives and dies on the Lobo question but never ever questions our leadership on the defensive side of the ball.

The leadership on the D side was questioned a lot last year. That guy is gone, and our D has improved significantly this season.

With a young unit I would expect it to continue to get better next year

The leadership on the D side was questioned a lot last year. That guy is gone, and our D has improved significantly this season.

With a young unit I would expect it to continue to get better next year

He was fired?

If we would have sat on the ball. I don't like our chances in OT and our coaching staff should have been rightly criticized.. I think we need to try to get into FG range there, particularly with a 1st and 10 at our own 37. The only way to do that is to pass.

That's bad. So is giving up two 80 drives for TDs. I find it interesting and frustrating that this board lives and dies on the Lobo question but never ever questions our leadership on the defensive side of the ball.

Our defensive coaches get more of a pass because it is pretty obvious that our defensive players simply aren't very good. They are often in the right spot, but simply don't produce (Wilbur -our supposed NFL caliber LB- getting the ball ripped away by a backup running back; Okoro giving up catch after catch despite being right next to the WR; getting nowhere near the QB despite blitzing; etc). We have a ton of talent on offense, yet seem to call plays with a high likelihood of going backwards at crucial times.

Best post of the day. Can we do our record the past 9 years with a competent OC (post Calhoun)?

For what it's worth, I like the calls. They were not successful, but I don't think a bunch of runs were the call. You are on the road at the number nine team in the country. You have to go for the win. They thought Tanner's arm was the best way to get there.

If we started running the ball and were unsuccessful, everyone would talk about how big of a pussy Lobo is. Clemson's D made plays.

For what it's worth, I like the calls. They were not successful, but I don't think a bunch of runs were the call. You are on the road at the number nine team in the country. You have to go for the win. They thought Tanner's arm was the best way to get there.

If we started running the ball and were unsuccessful, everyone would talk about how big of a pussy Lobo is. Clemson's D made plays.

This is correct. 2 missed FGs and 3 dropped INTs were the culprits today. Gut wrenching loss nonetheless with all on the line

A couple of points...when Tanner has been sacked, its always been in the pocket. When other team is coming hard, why is that not an opportunity to roll him out? Press coverage and the D slowly all getting closer to the line and no long throws? By bringing there D up to stop the run, contest the short routes, and get to Tanner, not one quick long pass over the top all day.

This is correct. 2 missed FGs and 3 dropped INTs were the culprits today. Gut wrenching loss nonetheless with all on the line

Correct. We just did not make enough plays to be a more talented team. Missed interception opportunities, the missed short field goal. Those things kill you when you need everything to go right to win. The main problems with the d is size up front, depth and the lack of a pass rush.

In retrospect, I would have like us to the quick dive play again on the last drive and see if it could find lightning again. I think you need to run that on first down.

We just panicked after the missed FG. Everyone panicked. Tons of dumb decisions. Pendergrass runs out of bounds instead of going down in bounds. That would have at least gotten us overtime. Price forgets (again) to throw it away and takes that moronic sack. The coaches forget that Clemson was unable to stop the run, and think we need to pass to win (even with three timeouts). Panic, panic, panic. I don't know where the poise is going to come from, but we don't have it.

I disagree about personnel on D. I think out Lb's this year are still young but talented, our db's are solid and most were highly recruited. We are never going to recruit the big defensive linemen. Ever. Their personality profile is typically (according to NFL physchology experts) not going to work at wake.

We are not going to get them. The Big Ten and SEC. Duke Mosby fit the profile of as good as it gets recruiting that area. This is where we have a recruiting puddle.

We have to play fast and creative on D, and I love the way we play there. Their goal is to control the other team and win the TO battle and we did that today against a very explosive team. We have talent

Offense CO-rodiator - GEEEEZ Lobo should have run more clock on that last drive. Seriously he makes bad decisions. He is MEDIOCRE at best, and damnit the rest of this program and I mean PROGRAM is GOOOD.

And if he had folks would complain we didnt have faith in our players to win as we were playing for overtime.

I would rank our most pressing issues as:
1. Defensive personnel
2. Offensive coordinator
3. Offensive line coach
4. Punter/kicker
5. Defensive coordinator
6. Special teams coaching

Four through six could go in almost any order, and it's possible I forgot something.

I think this is basically accurate. I'm actually pleased with some of our defensive personnel play this year - such as the linebackers - but the issues with depth on the defensive line are just scary. And there's no help on the horizon.

Back