• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

30 plus year Deacon Club member finally understands....

BillDoodle

Reaction score
I have finally concluded Wake is guilty of bait and switch or false advertising (which explains everything). Unfortunately, I was one of the most naive, who took everything at "face value" and was completely fooled.

1) to the prospective and current Deacon Club members--give (more) money so we can build a winning/championship athletic program--the sky is the limit; give more and we will build it.

2) but in reality, behind the scene, corporate group think--we are LOWF, all we can expect/hope for is to remain included with the "big boys" in the ACC and Division 1 and field enough teams to satisfy ACC requirements; winning is nice (not required) but staying in the "big boys' club" is the real purpose for overall university status/marketing (US News College Rankings, et al.) if fan support/attendance falls the "general fund" will underwrite the shortfall---but the more Deacon Club contributions received --the less the General Fund has to pay to maintain Big Boy membership.

Compare the results at Baylor, Stanford and even Vanderbilt, and Northwestern where the leadership is more committed to actually winning (not just football and men's basketball) on the field/court.

Based on this new realization, no billboards, airplane signs, message board threads or other form of protests will ever have any impact. Wake Forest doesn't care what you think and is not going to change the business policy (and this is what college athletics is today--a big business) based on anything a fan (or group of fans) does or says (even withholding future contributions---they are currently raising $1 Billon). They may give larger contributors an "audience" but does the basic policy ever really change? Of course there will always remain a small group of "Kool-aide drinkers" who just want to kiss the ring every once in awhile.

The University really doesn't care about winning on the field/court---so why should I?

I have learned my lesson and chosen the course of apathy. I will contribute my hard earned money to a more suitable recipient (not that Wake Forest cares or ever really cared in the least).

I think you make some good points.The DC called me today asking me to rejoin. I told the guy I would as soon as they got rid of Bz and have Wellman call me about it. The guy couldn't get off the phone any faster.

Last edited:
Apathy isn't going to solve anything. We've sat back and taken this for far too long.

Move on that is your only hope.......actions speak louder than words....if they do not care why should you?

The thing is, if we're asked to give money to win, but we don't try, that is criminal. I mean literally on some level like mail fraud right?

I just received an email from Madison Overbey with the Deacon Club asking me nicely to come back. I sent this response:

Thank you for your email and your work in support of Wake Forest athletics. I love Wake Forest as much as anyone, however, I will not support the Deacon Club or Athletic Department financially at this time. I reached this decision last year because of the poor performance of our flagship sports and apparent lack of commitment to fielding winning teams over the past 5 years. I am also concerned about the decision to hire Randy Casstevens to handle operations and finances, given his past involvement with serious accounting scandals at Krispy Kreme.

I regret the impact that this decision may have on the Deacon Club’s ability to offer scholarships to student athletes. Unfortunately, withholding my support of the Deacon Club and forgoing ticket purchases is the only way I can register my dissatisfaction in a meaningful way. I look forward to again supporting the Deacon Club and attending Wake Forest athletic events when the Athletic Department again demonstrates a commitment to excellence and accountability at the highest levels.

I recognize that you are not responsible for theses issues and you probably don’t enjoy getting emails like this. I hope that you will pass along the concerns I have expressed, which are shared by many other former Deacon Club contributors, to the Athletic Department.

She responded that she appreciated the feedback and would pass it on.

They don't give a crap about my piddly Golden C membership or whatever, but sending these messages is the only way the non-Don Flows of the world can have any impact at all.

The Wake of today is not the one I fell in love with when I entered in 1971. And it hurts me greatly to say that.

Move on that is your only hope.......actions speak louder than words....if they do not care why should you?

Because it's a game that's usually played by teenagers. If you have a passion for the Deacs then it should never cross your mind to stop being a "fan".

Because it's a game that's usually played by teenagers who earn millions of dollars for fat-cat athletic directors who charge major prices to see these teenagers play. If you have a passion for the Deacs then it should never cross your mind to stop being a "fan".

FIFY

Back