• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

30+ Years Following Wake Basketball...

This schedule should tell you everything you need to know about how little confidence Ron Wellman actually has in the coaching aptitude of our basketball coach. That's not an ACC team's home schedule.

It's an indictment.

This schedule should tell you everything you need to know about how little confidence Ron Wellman actually has in the coaching aptitude of our basketball coach. That's not an ACC team's home schedule.

It's an indictment.

a ginger's rage

We probably won't go winless in Atlantis but yeah this schedule sucks. Well probably go 8-1.

Just had another horrifying thought. Most of these teams (save probably Richmond) keep their athletic department afloat by playing high majors for a price. Guarantee money is the name of the game, and it usually costs at least $35,000 and as much as $75-90,000 to get a team in the 300 RPI range to come and play on your home court. The big dogs don't mind paying for a few guaranteed wins, and the small schools don't mind getting raped a few times because it pays the bills and you get to expose your team to big time basketball.

Colgate
VMI
Presbyterian
Jacksonville
Citadel
Tulane
UNC-G

All required guarantee money to come play. They simply aren't going to play one of these games without getting paid. St. Bonaventure and Richmond also probably got some cash, but at a lower amount. If we low ball the estimates on these opponents I think we can safely say it will cost us $35,000 a piece averaged out over the 9 contests. A few of them probably cost as much as $60k, and like I said earlier I bet Richmond and St. B were much lower. So in addition to fielding the least competitive schedule in the history of Wake Forest Basketball, and paying our inept coach a million dollars to embarass us, we are now shelling out an additional $300k to bring in teams that nobody will come and watch.

It is almost like Wellman is trolling the entire Wake Forest community. Everytime I think we have hit bottom, he takes us further. I feel like we are stuck in Inception Hell. If there is a better visual of the collective state of our fanbase than this clip, then I would love to see it, but I feel like this is where I am atleast.

A fun (and challenging) contest would be to predict which one of those games will have the worst actual attendance.

Just as a side note were not paying uncg or Richmond anything since we're playing away games with them. Highly doubtful were paying st. Bonnie either.

Just had another horrifying thought. Most of these teams (save probably Richmond) keep their athletic department afloat by playing high majors for a price. Guarantee money is the name of the game, and it usually costs at least $35,000 and as much as $75-90,000 to get a team in the 300 RPI range to come and play on your home court. The big dogs don't mind paying for a few guaranteed wins, and the small schools don't mind getting raped a few times because it pays the bills and you get to expose your team to big time basketball.

Colgate
VMI
Presbyterian
Jacksonville
Citadel
Tulane
UNC-G

All required guarantee money to come play. They simply aren't going to play one of these games without getting paid. St. Bonaventure and Richmond also probably got some cash, but at a lower amount. If we low ball the estimates on these opponents I think we can safely say it will cost us $35,000 a piece averaged out over the 9 contests. A few of them probably cost as much as $60k, and like I said earlier I bet Richmond and St. B were much lower. So in addition to fielding the least competitive schedule in the history of Wake Forest Basketball, and paying our inept coach a million dollars to embarass us, we are now shelling out an additional $300k to bring in teams that nobody will come and watch.

It is almost like Wellman is trolling the entire Wake Forest community. Everytime I think we have hit bottom, he takes us further. I feel like we are stuck in Inception Hell. If there is a better visual of the collective state of our fanbase than this clip, then I would love to see it, but I feel like this is where I am atleast.

I thought Clark gave a very accurate description of both Ron Wellman and Nathan Hatch. Life imitating art...

Just as a side note were not paying uncg or Richmond anything since we're playing away games with them. Highly doubtful were paying st. Bonnie either.

Are you sure of this? That would surprise me. Even in home/home situations the high major pays something. In the past we would certainly have to pay a St. Bonnie to come play us. If we aren't, that might make me even sadder. Mid and Low majors actually might play us for cheap.

Colgate
VMI
Presbyterian
Jacksonville
Citadel
Tulane
UNC-G

Don't worry. With our new CFO pesky things like debits and credits can easily get mixed up.

St Bonnies probably isn't a guaranteed win either. They were better than us last year.

Not only is it a pitiful attempt to portray the basketball situation as improving by padding a bunch of wins over really weak opponents, it is a guarantee that we will not play in the post season AGAIN. Even with 20 wins no one is going to count this as a competitive schedule. So, because we have Bozo Clown coaching the basketball team, we look for ways to make him look good-- no matter that we flush the program down the toilet in the process. If RW had hired a decent coach, this would be the year Wake basketball returned to competitiveness and the post season. The only bright spot, is that if we go 5-5 against this schedule Buzz will be gone. Ron can say "hey I gave you a weak schedule and you can't even win then".

I guess the Braille Institute and CalTech weren't available to be scheduled.

Maybe the idea is to lose at least once a year to a random college named after a brand name of some sort. 2012: Stetson. 2013: Colgate. 2014: Eckerd, maybe, or Hobart? Maybe we should have a pool before the schedule is announced every year to figure out which third-tier brand name we'll get that year. That's pretty much all we've got left in terms of making the schedule interesting.

Maybe the idea is to lose at least once a year to a random college named after a brand name of some sort. 2012: Stetson. 2013: Colgate. 2014: Eckerd, maybe, or Hobart? Maybe we should have a pool before the schedule is announced every year to figure out which third-tier brand name we'll get that year. That's pretty much all we've got left in terms of making the schedule interesting.

Sacred Heart? Pacific? Campbell? Holy Cross? Incarnate Word(Yes, there is such a school)?

We lost to Stetson and the dude is still here. Stetson. There is no pressure, and there will not be any pressure.

Ohhhhh, that's the beauty of Wake owning the stadium now... Now, there is pressure. No W's? More empty seats?...it's on RW now, not W-S.

It's the beginning of the end folks for Bzzz. Way overdue, but better late than never I guess.

and I have never seen such a weak non-conference home schedule: Colgate,VMI, Prebyterian, Jacksonville, The Citadel, Tulane, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, and UNCG. Other than Richmond, these are teams we would beat by 30+ points. Are we now wanting wins that badly that we would schedule all these cupcakes? Does anyone in any era remember such a pitiful schedule?

You mean SHOULD. [Redacted]'s record proves he could lose to any one of these teams. I agree with you it's a sad state of affairs that has totally turned me off from college bball all together. I miss the good ole days.

Back