• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

4/9/15: 150th anniversary of Lee's surrender

I'd rate Johnson better than mediocre. Apart from the Crater, he put together a very solid combat record, spearheaded Longstreet's breakthrough at Chickamauga, and had a terrific couple of days in the Bermuda Hundred Campaign, particularly at Port Walthall Junction. As a division commander, I'd put him on par with or slightly ahead of a Charles Field or Joe Kershaw, a step behind Rodes or Walthall, but ahead of a Wilcox or J.C. Brown.

I'd rate Johnson better than mediocre. Apart from the Crater, he put together a very solid combat record, spearheaded Longstreet's breakthrough at Chickamauga, and had a terrific couple of days in the Bermuda Hundred Campaign, particularly at Port Walthall Junction. As a division commander, I'd put him on par with or slightly ahead of a Charles Field or Joe Kershaw, a step behind Rodes or Walthall, but ahead of a Wilcox or J.C. Brown.

I'd put Pender near the top of the list.

I love Dorsey Pender, and agree that he was an absolute stud. As a brigadier, he had probably the best record of anyone in the ANV (honorable mention to J.R. Cooke, Winder, Gordon, and McGowan) and I'm confident he would have excelled in division command, but it's nearly impossible to evaluate him in that capacity because he only held it for a day and a half of combat. Lee did say that if Pender hadn't been wounded on July 2, he would have won at Gettysburg.

Damn, OGB, you are a Civil War savant!

At the time I made my post about Bushrod Johnson a few days ago, I was finishing up reading No Quarter, by Richard Slotkin, about the Battle of the Crater. Johnson's poor performance at the Battle of the Crater, and the lack of confidence that the other Generals in the ANV had in him (due in large part to their lack of familiarity with him) were discussed at some length and were fresh in my mind when I decided to poke fun at his name. (It's a decent book. If anyone would like to borrow it, I would be more than happy to send it your way.)

My 7 y/o son and I visited the Petersburg National Battlefield Park in April on our way back from the NASCAR race in Richmond (I have visited it many times during my life, but it was his first time). The mine dug by the 48th PA is still an engineering feat to me. It's cool to see how the mine entrance is situated in a ravine where the Confederates at Elliott's salient could not see it.

Frankly, I am amazed and gratified at the number of Civil War aficianados (sp?) on this board, many of whom, like me, had ancestors who served in Lee's Army.

I think it would be cool for some of us (at least those of us who live in North Carolina) to perhaps get together one long weekend and ride up to Fredericksburg and walk the Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville/Wilderness/Spotsylvania battlefields together (or some similar sort of thing).

Last edited:

At the time I made my post about Bushrod Johnson a few days ago, I was finishing up reading No Quarter, by Richard Slotkin, about the Battle of the Crater. Johnson's poor performance at the Battle of the Crater, and the lack of confidence that the other Generals in the ANV had for him (due in large part to their lack of familiarity with him) were discussed at some length and were fresh in my mind when I decided to poke fun at his name. (It's a decent book. If anyone would like to borrow it, I would be more than happy to send it your way.)

My 7 y/o son and I visited the Petersburg National Battlefield Park on our way back from the NASCAR race in Richmond (I have visited it many times during my life, but it was his first time). The mine dug by the 48th PA is still an engineering feat to me. It's cool to see how the mine entrance is situated in a ravine where the Confederates at Elliott's salient could not see it.

Frankly, I am amazed and gratified at the number of Civil War aficianados (sp?) on this board, many of whom, like me, had ancestors who served in Lee's Army.

I think it would be cool for some of us (at least those of us who live in North Carolina) to perhaps get together one long weekend and ride up to Fredericksburg and walk the Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville/Wilderness/Spotsylvania battlefields together (or some similar sort of thing).

A law school friend of mine's Dad is ranger there. He's a Major and judge advocate in the USMC. I think he would be the guy to talk to if we wanted to set something up. My friend (WFU SOL '01) is stationed in DC so it wouldn't be hard to make that happen.

I love Dorsey Pender, and agree that he was an absolute stud. As a brigadier, he had probably the best record of anyone in the ANV (honorable mention to J.R. Cooke, Winder, Gordon, and McGowan) and I'm confident he would have excelled in division command, but it's nearly impossible to evaluate him in that capacity because he only held it for a day and a half of combat. Lee did say that if Pender hadn't been wounded on July 2, he would have won at Gettysburg.

Can you imagine being there on July 1-2? By the 3rd the lines had (quite literally) been drawn and everyone knew the deal (well, everyone except Lee). Being there on the first two days when Pender's crew was trading iron with the Michigan and Indiana regiments would have been absolutely nuts. They you are elbow deep in Pennsylvania taking the fight to the enemy and you think you've got 'em. Amazing.

At the time I made my post about Bushrod Johnson a few days ago, I was finishing up reading No Quarter, by Richard Slotkin, about the Battle of the Crater. Johnson's poor performance at the Battle of the Crater, and the lack of confidence that the other Generals in the ANV had in him (due in large part to their lack of familiarity with him) were discussed at some length and were fresh in my mind when I decided to poke fun at his name. (It's a decent book. If anyone would like to borrow it, I would be more than happy to send it your way.)

My 7 y/o son and I visited the Petersburg National Battlefield Park in April on our way back from the NASCAR race in Richmond (I have visited it many times during my life, but it was his first time). The mine dug by the 48th PA is still an engineering feat to me. It's cool to see how the mine entrance is situated in a ravine where the Confederates at Elliott's salient could not see it.

How was Slotkin's book? It's on my list, though I haven't gotten around to it yet. My g-g-g-grandfather was in the 51st NC, Clingman's brigade, so he would have been in the general vicinity of the Crater had he not been captured at Cold Harbor. Would possibly be interested in the trip, depending on timing.

A law school friend of mine's Dad is ranger there. He's a Major and judge advocate in the USMC. I think he would be the guy to talk to if we wanted to set something up. My friend (WFU SOL '01) is stationed in DC so it wouldn't be hard to make that happen.

Not sure if your friend's dad does them, but they do offer (personal) guided tours of the Spotsylvania Battlefields. Jake Struhelka was the guide I had, and he did a phenomenal job.

Can you imagine being there on July 1-2? By the 3rd the lines had (quite literally) been drawn and everyone knew the deal (well, everyone except Lee). Being there on the first two days when Pender's crew was trading iron with the Michigan and Indiana regiments would have been absolutely nuts. They you are elbow deep in Pennsylvania taking the fight to the enemy and you think you've got 'em. Amazing.

Not entirely related, but the biggest what-if for me about the battle wasn't if Ewell had taken (or tried to take Cemetery Hill), but if he hadn't later changed his mind about being able to take it and had instead swung his corps around to Lee's right, like Lee had initially wanted. Longstreet was slow enough that it wouldn't have held his attack up any, and his 2 divisions (plus half of Anderson) alone nearly shattered the Federal line. Johnson was fresh, Early not too badly scathed, and Rodes could have put in 2-3 brigades (Ramseur, Doles, maybe Daniel). Add that to Longstreet's attack, and could the Federals have stopped it? I doubt it.

How was Slotkin's book? It's on my list, though I haven't gotten around to it yet. My g-g-g-grandfather was in the 51st NC, Clingman's brigade, so he would have been in the general vicinity of the Crater had he not been captured at Cold Harbor. Would possibly be interested in the trip, depending on timing.

OGB: It's a pretty good book. As you might expect, he focuses heavily on the role played by the Black troops of the 4th Division, IX Corps and the racial aspect of the combat. I was aware of the rage with which Mahone's brigade (many of whom were from Petersburg and were literally defending their homes) fought upon learning that they were facing Black troops and the "take no prisoners" attitude that they took on. Slotkin points out that some White Union troops, in the face of the irresistible Confederate counterattack, began to shoot their fellow Black Soldiers in an effort to avoid being captured with them or otherwise associated with them. I had never heard of this before.

If you will PM me your address, I will be happy to mail the book to you.

Last edited:
It is really neat to see so many Civil War students on this board. Has anyone read the newly released book about the Battle of Gettysburg, by Cuelzo (sp?)? I feel like I've read so much about the battle already, but I was curious to see if anyone here thinks it's worth a read.

It is really neat to see so many Civil War students on this board. Has anyone read the newly released book about the Battle of Gettysburg, by Cuelzo (sp?)? I feel like I've read so much about the battle already, but I was curious to see if anyone here thinks it's worth a read.

I've listened to about half (10.5 hours) of the audio version and find it pretty interesting.. It's my first real Civil War read and isn't too difficult to take in so far.

Why do I have to choose?

ACW has some epic names. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galusha_Pennypacker

Yeah, I forgot about Galusha Pennypacker. WTF kind of a name is Galusha? Is it Biblical?

I also get a kick out of the nicknames that Confederate companies gave themselves. My favorite is Company D, 28th North Carolina (L.O'B. Branch's brigade). Hailing from Stanly County, they were the "Stanly Yankee Hunters."

Yeah, I forgot about Galusha Pennypacker. WTF kind of a name is Galusha? Is it Biblical?

I also get a kick out of the nicknames that Confederate companies gave themselves. My favorite is Company D, 28th North Carolina (L.O'B. Branch's brigade). Hailing from Stanly County, they were the "Stanly Yankee Hunters."

They need to re-constitute.

I've listened to about half (10.5 hours) of the audio version and find it pretty interesting.. It's my first real Civil War read and isn't too difficult to take in so far.

Go read Shelby Foote next. Greatest nonfiction ever written, besides the end is not the trophy.

Galusha isn't a biblical name. It's a corruption of the Celtic word "Gallus" which means stranger or foreigner. Seems to have been used by French Huguenots and Germans mostly.

Last edited:
I'm listening to the third volume of Shelby Foote's Civil War on my commute to and from work. I've finished up the the other two volumes already. It's a classic for popular history and unlike some books holds up well in audio form. Since you can't reference maps while driving it helps if you have a great natural understanding of American geography particularly of Virginia, Tennessee, and the Mississippi River Valley.

My g-g-g-grandfather was in the 51st NC, Clingman's brigade, so he would have been in the general vicinity of the Crater had he not been captured at Cold Harbor.

OGB: Wasn't the 51st NC one of the primary units defending Battery Wagner, repulsing the assault by the 54th Massachusetts? If so, was your g-g-g-grandfather there?

Good catch. Yes, they were and yes, he was. Unfortunately, we don't have any letters he wrote, but I was able to find this one online.

The letter is addressed to Mrs. Elender Branch, Lumberton, Robeson county, N.C.
Charleston, S.C.
July the 26th, 1863
Dear Mother,
I seat myself to drop a few lines to let you know that I am well at this time hoping these few lines to find you the same and mother I have been in a big fight on Morris Island on the 18 of this month/ I came out safe and sound but there was 6 of our men got killed—S. Clemons, S. Spivy, W. Boon, A.C. Baxley, S. Lock, and Jepsy Henderson/ I should like to go home very much at this time/ I want to see you all worse than I ever did in my life/ We will have to go back to that island again/ I expect it/ So no more at present. Write soon. Tell Mr. Tyner that I am well and George and W. Tyner is well. So I can’t set down more at present only I remain your loving son until death. J.E. Douglas
Write soon direct to Charleston SC Co. F 51st Regt NC Troops
In case of capt(ure) W.S. Norment, Clingman’s Brigade
Write soon if you please.

W. Tyner is my ancestor.

Bump for 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address.

Meanwhile, as Lincoln was giving his speech, one of the three major Union armies (the Army of the Cumberland) was penned up in Chattanooga following the rout at Chickamauga. Help had (and was) arrived, however, in the form of U.S. Grant and two corps from his Army of the Tennessee. On November 23, Fighting Joe Hooker fought the battle of the clouds, taking the Confederate position on Lookout Mountain. Two days later, Sherman launched what was to be the main attack, but Confederate forces under Pat Cleburne, despite being outnumbered 4-to-1, held him off.

A frustrated Grant ordered the battered Army of the Cumberland to take the Confederate rifle pits at the base of Missionary Ridge. The men rumbled forward, easily capturing the pits, and then, without orders, charged up the slope itself. The Confederate defenders had been placed too far back on the slope to effectively fire down at them, and often were blocked from firing at all due to their own men (from the pits) retreating before the Union advance. The Union soldiers captured the ridge, and the Confederates retreated pell-mell into Georgia, saved from destruction only by Cleburne's stand at Ringgold Gap. Missionary Ridge/the Battles for Chattanooga would be the only battle in which elements from all three major Union armies (Cumberland, Potomac, and Tennessee) would take part.

Lookout Mountain is a bear to get up to, but I highly recommend the battlefield to anyone in the area. Missionary Ridge is lined with houses, but has a beautiful monument (to Illinois, IIRC), and gives you an idea of the incredible bravery shown by the Union troops in advancing up the heights. Chickamauga is nearby (technically part of the same park), and is very well preserved. The whole battlefield probably ranks third on my list, behind only Gettysburg and Sharpsburg.

A last note on Cleburne: despite being the best general in the Army of Tennessee (not to be confused with the Union's Army of the Tennessee, named for the river rather than the state), Cleburne never advanced in division command. This is in large part, if not entirely, due to the fact that shortly after the rout at Missionary Ridge, he proposed to the army's ranking officers that the Confederacy enlist slaves in their armies and grant them and their families freedom in exchange for service. The idea, predictably, did not go over very well. A little over a year later, however, when a man named Robert E. Lee got behind the idea, the CSA finally gave in and raised a handful of slave companies. They were drilling in Richmond at the time the city fell, and there are even a few accounts of them participating in rear-guard skirmishing during the retreat to Appomattox. Cleburne, however, wouldn't live to see it. He was shot down during the Battle of Franklin on November 30, 1864, as always, at the head of his men.

Back