• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

45% of Republicans are birthers

He was born in Hawaii! Since when is that America?

j/k obviously. This poll is bullshit. Just an excuse to label the GOP as a bunch of morons.

A significant number of the people that support the GOP do that quite nicely on their own.

LOLZ

You're just embarrassed that 45% of Republicans in this poll are full on retards.

I'm not a registered Republican or Democrat. This is just incredibly stupid. This is pretty much the problem with political discourse in America. Calling the other side retarded took the place of actually engaging on issues. This poll is flawed in the same way that the 9/11 polls were flawed. I'm not arguing that there are no idiots on either side... they obviously exist. The very existence of idiots like Maddow, O'Reilly, Olbermann, and Glenn Beck proves that. But there is no chance that the number is really that high for either birthers or truthers.

I'll give you that. So then why do a near majority of Republicans believe Obama wasn't born in the US?

I suppose one could provide several answers, each of which could account for a portion of the 45%.

1. Some people are so partisan and pay so little attention that they are likely to believe uncritically anything potentially negative about the leaders of the rival party. My guess would be that this is not an exclusively Republican phenomenon.

2. The liberals and the liberal media constantly reiterating this issue - probably because they need continuously to reassure themselves that they are smarter - has had some effect. If you repeat something often enough, some people will buy it.

3. Lots of people are honestly confused because they simply don't know when Hawaii became a state (1959), and when President Obama was born (1961).

Its only April 2011 and RJ is already getting desperate. I like it.

not at all desparate. The bookies tell the story. Obama is under even money and the shortest priced Republican is Romney at 8-1.

not at all desparate. The bookies tell the story. Obama is under even money and the shortest priced Republican is Romney at 8-1.

He's right about this btw. Obama may not be a very good president, and he doesn't have particularly high approval ratings, but there's no one in the GOP field whos all that scary. The best shots at knocking him off (probably Thune and Christie) have already publicly said they're not running. Romney has his health care thing, Gingrich has his personal issues, Palin is Palin, Huckabee isn't trusted by the fiscally conservative wing of the party, and the list goes on. The next year will have to be pretty bad for me to say anyone but Obama is the favorite in 2012.

That said, the premise of this thread is still dumb.

Ryal, if the results keep coming out the same no matter who does the poll, it's pretty likely they are accurate.

Ryal, if the results keep coming out the same no matter who does the poll, it's pretty likely they are accurate.

So then agree or disagree with the following statement:
Roughly 50% of Democrats believe there was some sort of government conspiracy or coverup with September 11th.

By your logic, that statement is irrefutable. But its obviously false just as the polls about the birther conspiracy are. There are major major problems with polling a question like this no matter how good the polling agency.

So then agree or disagree with the following statement:
Roughly 50% of Democrats believe there was some sort of government conspiracy or coverup with September 11th.

By your logic, that statement is irrefutable. But its obviously false just as the polls about the birther conspiracy are. There are major major problems with polling a question like this no matter how good the polling agency.

No my logic is that if the same results happen many times over a period of time, you can reasonable assume they are accurate.

These poll results have actually been growing over a two year period.

There weren't continuous polls about the "truther" nonsense.

No my logic is that if the same results happen many times over a period of time, you can reasonable assume they are accurate.

These poll results have actually been growing over a two year period.

There weren't continuous polls about the "truther" nonsense.

Many of the ones taken in the link I gave were taken 5 years out. That number actually increased as time went on... just like the birther numbers. The reason the numbers are growing in each case is because the president's approval numbers were declining. I can guarantee that if the economy rebounds, we won't hear about any more of this garbage because the approval ratings will climb and these numbers will fall way off.

The only one that did mutliple truther surveys was Zogby and never did he ask if W was involved only if needed further investigation.

And you still won't deal with the fact the DNC openly got rid of the only truther in Congress and the GOP won't even denounce the multiple birthers in the House.

There was never a "truther" running for POTUS as a Dem, but Trump and others have been birthers.

You really can't compare the two.

My position about the parties since AOL days in the early 90 has and wiull be we need a third party to keep the other two in line.

The only one that did mutliple truther surveys was Zogby and never did he ask if W was involved only if needed further investigation.

Fine, but there were plenty of other agencies that did polls at the same time that showed similar results. No different than your analysis of birther polls really.

And you still won't deal with the fact the DNC openly got rid of the only truther in Congress and the GOP won't even denounce the multiple birthers in the House.

There was never a "truther" running for POTUS as a Dem, but Trump and others have been birthers.

That's kind of changing the argument. The initial point you were making was that large portions of the GOP base are ignorant and answered this question in the affirmative. Similar numbers of Dems answered the 9/11 poll in the affirmative as well. If you want to argue that GOP leadership is incompetent at times, then I won't stop you. I mean, I'd argue that there are different political pressures at play here than there were back when the truther stuff was going on with Republicans being concerned about a potential Tea Party 3rd party and not really wanting to piss off those folks. If there was ever any real threat from the far left about possibly leaving the party, then I doubt you see any rejections of the truther movement by Dems.

And I'm not sure you can really count Trump as a real candidate. Its a publicity stunt on his part. He won't run and he wouldn't collect any real share of the vote if he did. His numbers are kinda like when Colbert made his fake run on the Dem ticket and ended up polling something like 3rd.

That all sad, this is different from the initial point you were making. At this point, the best you can really win is that a majority of both parties are retarded and its really a wonder that we haven't screwed up this country way worse than it already is. Well, either that or there's the option that polling questions like this will always lead to incredibly flawed results.

The other agencies asked about investigating it. Remember W went to lying that Saddam Hussein had something to do with 9/11. At the time we went to war in Iraq a plurality of Americans believed that lie. So it was natural that people would want an invesitgation into whether there was a "cover-up". Part of that investigation would have been about W's lies.

It's not at all the same.

Again if Republicans who are being elected to Congress are unashamed bithers, it shows there are millions of active GOP birthers.

The most direct questions asked are here:
Federal officials either assisted in the 9/11 attacks or took no action to prevent them because they wanted the United States to go to war in the Middle East.

* 59% "not likely"
* 20% "somewhat likely"
* 16% "very likely"[13][14]

The collapse of the twin towers in New York was aided by explosives secretly planted in the two buildings.

* 77% "unlikely"
* 10% "somewhat likely"
* 6% "very likely"[13][15]

The Pentagon was struck by a military cruise missile in 2001 rather than by an airliner captured by terrorists.

* 80% "not likely"
* 6% "somewhat likely"
* 6% "very likely"[13][16]

Obviously those numbers would be even higher among Dems than among the general population. Maybe there are a few more birthers. That doesn't really disprove the points I'm making. Polling these questions always lead to hyper-inflated numbers. I think you think that I'm arguing "WELL LOOK, LIBRULS IS DUMB TOO" but I'm not. I'm just trying to plead for a little bit of sanity is all. All of these polls are flawed.

Even if you take the somewhat and very onl one of those polls reach more than 12%.

If you take the 45% who beleive was born outside the US and the 22% who aren't sure, that 67% is between 250% and 550% higher thna your polls.

Equating truthers to birthers is a false comparision because it's an easy to prove fact that Obama was born in the US compared to the truth about 9/11.

Obviously if there's something to hide the government will hide it. Ask the Tillman family.

My position about the parties since AOL days in the early 90 has and wiull be we need a third party to keep the other two in line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze08wqmNbXg

What "truth" about 9/11 do you think he wanted to come out?

Edited because I tried to embed a video and couldn't get it to work.

Kucinich was one of the first people saying that Bush lied about Saddam's involvement in 9/11.

Back