• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

5 police officers shot/police chief killed serving search warrant in NH

HuskyDeac

Reaction score
Probably not worthy of it's own thread, but how does this happen? There's apparently 1 suspect and his girlfriend still holed up in the house some 5 hours later. It seems crazy to me that the suspect was able to take down 5 cops. It happened in Greenland, which is a town of 3,500. That's likely the whole police force.

Just heard the police force is actually 10. Police chief was 10 days from retiring.

Ive been through that area. Definitely not some backwoods mountain yokel (of which NH has its fair share). I really love the Portsmouth area.

I have no idea about the details of this story, but I know how it can happen. It can happen the same way officers are often injured during traffic stops. That is to say they get too comfortable with their surroundings. I am glad I am not involved with that anymore because it so so easy to become laid back when you do something for the millionth time and then all of a sudden some aggressive person causes a situation that you are now way out of position to handle.

I have no idea about the details of this story, but I know how it can happen. It can happen the same way officers are often injured during traffic stops. That is to say they get too comfortable with their surroundings. I am glad I am not involved with that anymore because it so so easy to become laid back when you do something for the millionth time and then all of a sudden some aggressive person causes a situation that you are now way out of position to handle.

Exactly. That's why cops are often dicks when they pull people over. It gives them the upper hand and an immediate mental edge needed to do the job.

I grew up in a town of 3500, would be surprised if we had 5 cops on our police force.

It seems crazy to me that the suspect was able to take down 5 cops.

Awful situation, but not all that surprising to me. While cops carry a weapon, they are usually very poorly trained on it's use or what to actually do when under fire. Especially in a small town.

Recent example: 8 cops took more than 90 shots to take down an unarmed man in a populated area on a major highway in LA. 90 SHOTS! That's a lot of stray bullets flying around from some cops who 1) obviously can't fire their weapons effectively and 2) didn't remain in control when their stress levels went up.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0413-freeway-shooting-20120413,0,2722576.story
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/04/police-90-rounds-101-freeway.html

As forensic mentioned. These guys probably walked up thinking this was going to be routine and had dropped their guard after years spent without anything like that happening.

Last edited:
Ive been through that area. Definitely not some backwoods mountain yokel (of which NH has its fair share). I really love the Portsmouth area.

The Seacoast area of NH is awesome. It's just SUPER expensive to live there

Awful situation, but not all that surprising to me. While cops carry a weapon, they are usually very poorly trained on it's use or what to actually do when under fire. Especially in a small town.

Recent example: 8 cops took more than 90 shots to take down an unarmed man in a populated area on a major highway in LA. 90 SHOTS! That's a lot of stray bullets flying around from some cops who 1) obviously can't fire their weapons effectively and 2) didn't remain in control when their stress levels went up.
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0413-freeway-shooting-20120413,0,2722576.story
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/04/police-90-rounds-101-freeway.html

As forensic mentioned. These guys probably walked up thinking this was going to be routine and had dropped their guard after years spent without anything like that happening.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/04/nc-police-chief-cant-carry-gun/

Jacksonville, NC Police Chief fails annual firearms exam so can't carry badge or gun, wear his uniform, make traffic stops, or operate the police vehicle with the blue lights on.

Basically the only thing he can do now is run the department

I have it on good authority that there was once a police chief in SC that had to re-qualify with his sidearm. While at the range his gun would not fire. After tapping/re-racking his piece it still wouldn't fire. Was it the ammo? No. An instructor/gunsmith took the gun away to to see what was the mechanical problem; turns out there was so much lint in the gun that the firing pin could not hit the bullet. All the embarassment could have been avoided if the chief had just regularly cleaned his gun.

2 of the guys were shot in the chest. Every drug raid I've ever seen, 1 in real-time, many on tv, the guys are always wearing kevlar, helmets, etc. I'm not blaming them, but fuck if I would go into a drug den without at least a vest. Maybe they didn't have access to the equipment. Regardless, I hope his widow gets the pension he earned.

The war on drugs claims more lives. Shame.

Unfortunately this will be the case until we take a more realistic approach to battling drug abuse. As long as we call it a war, and treat it like one with paramilitary-style raids, there will be casualties. It truly is a shame that the chief of this department lost his life in this awful war.

I think the entire police force of my town would get wiped out by a plastic knife.

I still haven't heard exactly what happened, but it sounds like they got hit walking up to the house. Makes a bit more sense as they'd all be exposed and probably didn't even see the shooter. It still sounds like they were ill prepared to serve a warrant on someone they thought was armed and dangerous.

2 of the guys were shot in the chest. Every drug raid I've ever seen, 1 in real-time, many on tv, the guys are always wearing kevlar, helmets, etc. I'm not blaming them, but fuck if I would go into a drug den without at least a vest. Maybe they didn't have access to the equipment. Regardless, I hope his widow gets the pension he earned.

The vests most regular police wear will stop low velocity handgun bullets, but even a softnose bullet from any centerfire rifle one would take deer hunting would not be stopped at all. Granted, I have no idea if the police were wearing vests, or what they were shot with...

Back