• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

50 Years Ago Today...

Dearborn Deac

Reaction score
Wake Forest defeated UCLA 82-80 in the NCAA Third Place game.

It's been 50 years to the day since we last played in the Final Four. And at the rate we're going, it will be at least another 50 years before we get back.

Poor Carmichael. He probably never would have believed you if you time traveled to warn him "this is the pinnacle you'll experience for WFU hoops, meanwhile all your in-state rivals will win multiple national championships, a rate of 1 out of every 5 actually." At least he got to be there for the best of times.

Poor Carmichael. He probably never would have believed you if you time traveled to warn him "this is the pinnacle you'll experience for WFU hoops, meanwhile all your in-state rivals will win multiple national championships, a rate of 1 out of every 5 actually." At least he got to be there for the best of times.

Anyone know what kind of influence he has? I know he's the faculty athletics representative or something like that (what Ed Wilson formerly was IIRC). He can't be happy with this.

Bet he wishes he abandon Wake for his other alma mater (Duke).

This attachment to 50 year old "glory" needs to be abandoned. This is a program in need of a full rebuild and Jeff has been chosen for the job. We need to give him the positive support he needs to get the job done. Next year is only year THREE. Jeff had an empty cupboard, with a few rotten items that he needed to restock. Please keep this in perspective. We need to live in today.

In year five, if we have not returned to at least an NIT final, I will start to be concerned.

Why did they ever do away with the 3rd place game?

It does not take a competent coach five years to become competitive.

Why did they ever do away with the 3rd place game?

Because no one enjoyed playing in it, and coaches wanted to be out recruiting instead of spending two more days at the Final Four site. Also, initially the Final Four Semis were played on Friday with the Finals and consolation game on Saturday so teams didn't have to hang around an extra day. Seems to me they switched to the Sat. Mon. format in '73.

The last consolation (3rd place) game in the NCAA Tournament was played in 1981. Virginia (with Ralph Sampson, Jeff Lamp & Lee Raker) defeated LSU 78-74.

An easy way to remember that is that it was the same day that President Reagan was shot. (And the day that Bob Knight's Indiana Hoosiers won his 2nd NCAA Championship by defeating Dean Smith's North Carolina Tar Heels.)

Funny thing I'll always remember about that 1981 Indiana championship. I was at Pinehurst for the Hall of Fame Golf Classic that was played the week after Indiana beat the Heels. I was standing beside the first tee box watching the players being introduced and begining their round. When Fuzzy Zoeller was introduced, he lifted up the front of his shirt and had an INDIANA tee shirt on underneath. The crowd booed him like hell.

Because no one enjoyed playing in it, and coaches wanted to be out recruiting instead of spending two more days at the Final Four site. Also, initially the Final Four Semis were played on Friday with the Finals and consolation game on Saturday so teams didn't have to hang around an extra day. Seems to me they switched to the Sat. Mon. format in '73.

I was there in 1973 (St. Louis Arena) and if I can remember correctly there were two afternoon games on Saturday. That night went to an Arlo Guthrie concert. Sunday, sat around, drank beer and watched the NIT (a Virginia win maybe?). Monday night's double header was followed by my friends and I sitting in a car by the UCLA bus, trying to talk to their cheerleaders when they come out. Long time ago and am recalling from memory, but Saturday/Monday sounds right.

As for 1962, a bunch of scrappy gym rats represented the peak of WFU's basketball history.

I was there in 1973 (St. Louis Arena) and if I can remember correctly there were two afternoon games on Saturday. That night went to an Arlo Guthrie concert. Sunday, sat around, drank beer and watched the NIT (a Virginia win maybe?). Monday night's double header was followed by my friends and I sitting in a car by the UCLA bus, trying to talk to their cheerleaders when they come out. Long time ago and am recalling from memory, but Saturday/Monday sounds right.

As for 1962, a bunch of scrappy gym rats represented the peak of WFU's basketball history.

Since you mentioned the '73 NIT, here's a link to Va. Tech's win over Notre Dame. Watched that game with it's great, buzzer beating finish.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/021809aaa.html

Tech had a key player who was a juco transfer from Mt. Olive College, recruited by ass't Sonny Smith. I mention that because I attended Mt. Olive from '73-'75, and met Sonny when he was recruiting a classmate who later started for two years for Tech. Lot of under the table cash floated around in those days. Saw a roll of bills he'd given the guy with a one on the outside, but significantly bigger bills on the inside.

He did the same thing at the GGO. Fuzzy is a great guy, and I thought he really got a raw deal about the thing at Augusta.....and Tiger could've stopped that in an instant. All he had to do was tell the people to "chill out", that it was no big deal, but he let Fuzzy "twist in the wind" for a day or two before speaking out. I got the feeling back then that Tiger didn't want to go to the bathroom without checking with Nike first. Fuzzy Zoeller is not a racist. That PC crap over innocent stuff like that is ridiculous.

Plus... Collard Greens and Fried Chicken are delicious.

He did the same thing at the GGO. Fuzzy is a great guy, and I thought he really got a raw deal about the thing at Augusta.....and Tiger could've stopped that in an instant. All he had to do was tell the people to "chill out", that it was no big deal, but he let Fuzzy "twist in the wind" for a day or two before speaking out. I got the feeling back then that Tiger didn't want to go to the bathroom without checking with Nike first. Fuzzy Zoeller is not a racist. That PC crap over innocent stuff like that is ridiculous.

Well, for Fuzzy's sake, it's a good thing he made those Tiger comments publicly instead of posting them here on the boards. I mean, could you even begin to imagine...

Back