• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

6 Years Ago Today: RIP Skip

It was so obvious how much Skip loved people. The type of guy who would respond to a random fan letter or e-mail...and not with a prepared response...an actual response that he wrote. And you could tell just by the way he talked that he cared...he legitimately cared...about his job and the responsibility he felt towards his team, the fans, the school, and even the media. The man was never acted bigger than anyone or anything, even though he was. To say he was one of a kind doesn't do him justice.

Reactions: Ayo
Will never forget meeting Skip and the impact he had on 04 and every one at Wake. Sorely missed and one of a kind.

I remember taking my parents by campus the day after as we were passing by winston in between my fresh/soph years. They were obviously shocked and saddened by it and have no ties to the school.

To say he is missed is such a vast understatement. His death has spurned a series of events that has torn the fan base apart. RIP Skip.

It was so obvious how much Skip loved people. The type of guy who would respond to a random fan letter or e-mail...and not with a prepared response...an actual response that he wrote. And you could tell just by the way he talked that he cared...he legitimately cared...about his job and the responsibility he felt towards his team, the fans, the school, and even the media. The man was never acted bigger than anyone or anything, even though he was. To say he was one of a kind doesn't do him justice.

This is just so spot on.

Great post.

Not to mention he was just plain funny as shit

It was a strange day. I remember being on the boards ..the other one ...and no one knew for sure ...or were saying for sure - what exaactly happened. Lots of speculation....and it went on for hours. Later in the day --it was 'official'. Can't believe it has been that long.

Anyone know how his wife is now ? She was a classy person as well. After the Orange Bowl game -- my wife and I were on the plane back...and not knowing her -- started talking to the lady across the aisle. She only said she was 'a coach's wife'...and I asked 'who?'. She said she was Nancy Prosser. We had the best conversation that entire flight. Was not about coaching ...or basketball --- but about teaching and school and literature ...as my wife was a high school english teacher then...and they really hit it off.
Nancy was just like Skip ....down to earth...and a great person. I hope she's doing well.

He was a great guy. My dad, like Skip, was in the Merchant Marine. My dad did it in WWII on convoys to Russia in the North Atlantic dodging Uboats. Skip was fascinated. He loved history. Skip also liked to watch soccer and especially rugby at the OVT over a Guinness. Just a class act all the way round. We'll never find another Skip sadly. He reinvented Wake basketball.

Back