• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

64-team College Football Playoff Bracket

PhDeac

PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
Reaction score
From USAToday:
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/12/college-football-playoff-bracket/

#1 seeds: FSU, MSU, Auburn, Alabama
ibhyrbGBgH2mBs.jpg

Brutal second round matchup for the de-Clawed BGSU Falcons

honestly this would be the best thing to ever happen in the history of the world. too bad our young student athletes aren't demi-gods who can play up to 18 games a year (even though young professional athletes can...)

honestly this would be the best thing to ever happen in the history of the world. too bad our young student athletes aren't demi-gods who can play up to 18 games a year (even though young professional athletes can...)

Was thinking about the flawed "it's too many games" argument against a playoff last night, when I read an article about the state football championships coming up in North Carolina this weekend and saw that the teams had played 15 games each prior to the state championship. 64 teams is too many, but a 16 or maybe even a 32 team playoff would be awesome. And if 16 and 17 year old kids can play 16 games a year why can't the college guys?

Was thinking about the flawed "it's too many games" argument against a playoff last night, when I read an article about the state football championships coming up in North Carolina this weekend and saw that the teams had played 15 games each prior to the state championship. 64 teams is too many, but a 16 or maybe even a 32 team playoff would be awesome. And if 16 and 17 year old kids can play 16 games a year why can't the college guys?

Money

That's the main one that stood out to me.

The college guys already do that at every level but FBS.

No chance, South Carolina is just now getting rolling. Did you watch their dismantling of Clemson?

Bama-Baylor, that would be nuts.

A 16 team playoff would only be 2 more games than some teams play now with conference championships and bowl games. It wasn't all that long ago that the regular season was only 10 games, which would have meant the champion and runner up would only play 14 games, or exactly what a lot of bowl teams play now.

I just don't get the argument against a playoff. (I mean in academic sense, I understand the bowl system is ingrained and money talks, but come on, a 16 team playoff would make a fortune! You could play the games at bowl sites if you had to concede that. It could be something like "First round NCAA FBS Championship game at the Peach Bowl, sponsored by Chick-Fil-A." (I am only half joking.)

If you took the bracket above and split it out into four team pods for a 16 team playoff, your first round games would be:

First Pod:
1. FSU vs. Oklahoma
2. South Carolina vs. Arizona State

Second pod:
1. Auburn vs. LSU
2. Ohio State vs. Oregon

Third Pod:
1. Alabama vs. Oklahoma State
2. Baylor vs. Missouri

Fourth Pod:
1. Michigan State vs. UCLA
2. Stanford vs. Clemson

That's a lot of compelling games that I would watch.

I think an 8 team play off with the auto bids for the Power 5 conference champs and three wild card spots would be good enough.

Do people actually think there won't be a 64-team (or at least 32) playoff soon? They didn't create a 4-team playoff to stop at 4 teams. The basketball tourny has expanded; the NFL playoffs have expanded; the MLB playoffs have expanded. They started with 4 as the gateway drug to transition away from the BCS and provide time to work out the logistics. There will be a full playoff system within 10 years.

Do people actually think there won't be a 64-team (or at least 32) playoff soon? They didn't create a 4-team playoff to stop at 4 teams. The basketball tourny has expanded; the NFL playoffs have expanded; the MLB playoffs have expanded. They started with 4 as the gateway drug to transition away from the BCS and provide time to work out the logistics. There will be a full playoff system within 10 years.

College Football works on church time. I think the eventual goal is 8.

I think we're playing Kentucky in the NIT

Back