• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

9.2% of people in PA don't have ID

You'd need to have remote printing, encoding, laminating and other devices at each of tens of thousands of locations in each state under your plan.

OH, the Humanity!!!!! What if those charges were paid for by the state GOP? would that be OK with you?

Still haven't seen this answered yet. Everyone keeps saying they don't have a problem with requiring an ID to vote, but if voter fraud isn't a problem, then why is this necessary?

I actually tried to answer this earlier.....I am pretty sure there have been books written about stolen elections (1960 election for pres), pretty much any election in Chicago since then, the LBJ election for Senate.

It is not like it has not happened...just because people have not been caught, does not mean that a crime did not happen.

I actually tried to answer this earlier.....I am pretty sure there have been books written about stolen elections (1960 election for pres), pretty much any election in Chicago since then, the LBJ election for Senate.

It is not like it has not happened...just because people have not been caught, does not mean that a crime did not happen.

Stop talking about the distant past.

W's DOJ found SEVEN cases of voter impersonation out of over THREE HUNDRED MILLION votes cast from 2000-07.

What 50 or 60 years ago is not relevant. No matter how much you need it to be.

There's NO problem today. NONE.

So you are saying that even if the State GOP paid for everything, you would still be against voter ID requirements? (no out of pocket to the voters, no cost to the govt, etc and done over a couple of elections to make it easier on people who may not vote in the next election.)

Stop talking about the distant past.

W's DOJ found SEVEN cases of voter impersonation out of over THREE HUNDRED MILLION votes cast from 2000-07.

What 50 or 60 years ago is not relevant. No matter how much you need it to be.

Just curious, how many voter fraud cases were brought and prosecuted in the 1960 election? I don't know, but you seem to have the most extensive data base.

It's a different world than 1960.

In 1960 most southern conservatives opposed civil rights, integration and allowing blacks to vote. Is that the same as it was then?

So you are saying that even if the State GOP paid for everything, you would still be against voter ID requirements? (no out of pocket to the voters, no cost to the govt, etc and done over a couple of elections to make it easier on people who may not vote in the next election.)

Answer?

If you are truly worried about voter impersonation, you can fix it in a much cheaper and efficient way:

Every polling place gets web cams for the sign in desk.

Every person who votes looks into the camera with no hats or glasses.

Every person who votes put a thumb/fingerprint along with their signature.

For attempting to commit voter impersonation there is 5 year federal prison sentence without any parole and a $250,000 fine that gets interest and penalties while in prison and until it's 100% paid off.

If you actually commit voter impersonation, the penalty is 10 years without parole and a $500,000 fine.

If you allege someone stole your vote and they didn't the same penalty.

With those penalties and that amount of proof, there would be no voter impersonation. It would cost less and wouldn't disenfranchise a single person.

legit question. what would the finger print be compared to?

I'm sure that every GOP voter would pay $1-2 surcharge on their next DL bill to ensure that it would not cost the state anything. Would you be OK with it within those parameters (however, I don't see how printing the photo is 10s of millions more $$ than just taking the photo.)

That's laughable. First, GOP voters don't want to pay for anything. Second, GOP voters don't want non-GOP voters to vote. The next step from voter ID laws (which are fine in themselves) is making it more difficult for people to get IDs.

If you are truly worried about voter impersonation, you can fix it in a much cheaper and efficient way:

Every polling place gets web cams for the sign in desk.

Every person who votes looks into the camera with no hats or glasses.

Every person who votes put a thumb/fingerprint along with their signature.

For attempting to commit voter impersonation there is 5 year federal prison sentence without any parole and a $250,000 fine that gets interest and penalties while in prison and until it's 100% paid off.

If you actually commit voter impersonation, the penalty is 10 years without parole and a $500,000 fine.

If you allege someone stole your vote and they didn't the same penalty.

With those penalties and that amount of proof, there would be no voter impersonation. It would cost less and wouldn't disenfranchise a single person.

This makes no sense. You think it is overly burdensome for people to have to get IDs, but apparently it is easy for them to go somewhere to get fingerprinted in advance of an election so that there is a massive civilian fingerprint database that can be compared with polling sites? Even the FBI's database, which is mostly only criminal prints, takes abut half an hour to search. If you had every voting-age person in a database, people would be standing in line for hours before voting (not to mention the initial trip for the baseline prints). Or is each state or county maintaining a separate print database? Yeah, that sounds a helluva lot easier than people just getting a photo ID.

That's laughable. First, GOP voters don't want to pay for anything. Second, GOP voters don't want non-GOP voters to vote. The next step from voter ID laws (which are fine in themselves) is making it more difficult for people to get IDs.

You know, you're right, because obviously GOP voters pay for nothing! Let alone something that they think would benefit them. I still wonder how they get their own groceries since they don't want to pay for anything!!!! How is it that they pay their mortgages? Gas? Oh, here is one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

It was an "an if this happened" situation, would he agree with it. But go ahead with your "GOP voters don't want to pay for anything!!" canard!

I wouldn't trust either party to do something like this exclusively.

You are also selectively forget that these draconian laws were not phased in over multiple elections.

If you were being honest with yourself, you'd admit the main purpose of these laws is to suppress the vote.

OK, last time asking...if there were no cost to the State and this was done over an agreee upon length of time (two elections), would you be OK with ID to vote going forward?

Simple question, yes or no.

I answered it. No cost to the state, no cost to the voter and NOT done by either party and phased in over two presidential elections.

How can it be funded and implemented?

Last edited:
I answered it. No cost to the state, no cost to the voter and NOT done by either party and phased in over two presidential elections.

How can it be funded and implemented?

So, based on these parameters, you are OK with voter ID?

I don't understand the hang up on "done by a party". The entity, the government, which we are discussing may be structurally influenced by domestic political parties, but which party passes the legislation is completely irrelevant from the policy implications post-passage.

You know, you're right, because obviously GOP voters pay for nothing! Let alone something that they think would benefit them. I still wonder how they get their own groceries since they don't want to pay for anything!!!! How is it that they pay their mortgages? Gas? Oh, here is one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

It was an "an if this happened" situation, would he agree with it. But go ahead with your "GOP voters don't want to pay for anything!!" canard!

I already debunked that clip earlier this week.

Hulka, legit question here. Have any proposed voter ID laws included measures to make it easier to get IDs?

I don't understand the hang up on "done by a party". The entity, the government, which we are discussing may be structurally influenced by domestic political parties, but which party passes the legislation is completely irrelevant from the policy implications post-passage.

Not sure what you mean. Are you saying parties don't propose legislation with an eye on the intended and "unintended" consequences of the legislation?

Back