• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

9 mile over ticket in NC -- insurance ramifications

West End Deac

Living The Last One Down
Reaction score
I have a friend who picked one up on Silas Creek Pkwy by the Armory, a spot where it's 35 and not 45 and where WSPD and the NCHP have run radar since the beginning of time (run radar, eat at Sonic, run radar, eat at Biscuitville -- it's a beautiful plan, really). After I finished cackling and she finished glaring, she tells me she was going 50 and he reduced it to 44 in a 35.

She says she's just going to pay it because it's only 9 over. I think even at 9 over if she pays it she's looking at a couple of points but, with her clean record, she should be able to get it reduced to improper equipment or a prayer for judgment. I tell her to let me ask the all-knowing Pit and I'll get back to her. Affirm for me that her best play is to go to court where she'll spend all of an hour and likely leave without a speeding ticket on her record.

I have a friend who picked one up on Silas Creek Pkwy by the Armory, a spot where it's 35 and not 45 and where WSPD and the NCHP have run radar since the beginning of time (run radar, eat at Sonic, run radar, eat at Biscuitville -- it's a beautiful plan, really). After I finished cackling and she finished glaring, she tells me she was going 50 and he reduced it to 44 in a 35.

She says she's just going to pay it because it's only 9 over. I think even at 9 over if she pays it she's looking at a couple of points but, with her clean record, she should be able to get it reduced to improper equipment or a prayer for judgment. I tell her to let me ask the all-knowing Pit and I'll get back to her. Affirm for me that her best play is to go to court where she'll spend all of an hour and likely leave without a speeding ticket on her record.

yep. With many insurance companies, they'll forgive 1 ticket every 3 years before things really happen, but it's better to have a non-moving violation than a speeding ticket on file.

I would hold off on the prayer for judgement card...
My wife and I, both have had the privelege of being pulled over by the fine police officers of Fletcher, NC were able to take a class (which we paid for), and paid the court courts (although we did not have to show up to court) to have it reduced to improper equipment and not get any points on our insurance
I would contact the courthouse and see if that is possible.

The prayer for judgement would handle this, but I have heard it is for much more serious traffice offense.

DeacOnCapeCod
now driving the speed limit in Fletcher, NC

Last edited:
i got a ticket the exact same place on my 19th birthday. dickhead cop even told me happy birthday with a smirk as he handed me the ticket. if you are headed southbound, you go down a pretty steep hill right as it changes to 35. pretty bullshit place to gun people.

I would hold off on the prayer for judgement card...
My wife and I, both have had the privelege of being pulled over by the fine police officers of Fletcher, NC were able to take a class (which we paid for), and paid the court courts (although we did not have to show up to court) to have it reduced to improper equipment and not get any points on our insurance
I would contact the courthouse and see if that is possible.

The prayer for judgement would handle this, but I have heard it is for much more serious traffice offense.

DeacOnCapeCod
now driving the speed limit in Fletcher, NC

i don't think this is right (though it's been almost 10 years since i've done it, so maybe my memory is wrong). IIRC, they don't even let you take the class if it's for anything like speeding in a school zone, work zone, etc.

My last ticket was about 8 years ago, I just paid the fine, but it was 9-over on Silas Creek and my insurance never changed because of it (had Liberty Mutual at the time).

I think she should take out a hit on the cop.

Take the course and get it dismissed if possible. I've done that twice in VA. The class is actually decent and filled with some bizarros.

Good Lord, Get a lawyer. In NC, you can speed with impunity, all you need is a barrister to clean up the mess.

My Wake county court date is Feb 23

Pay it. No impact on insurace. Save your PJC for your next ticket within the next 3 years. That way, you effectively get 2 with no impact on insurance.

Back