• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

90s Christian Rock

timthedeac

Reaction score
Middle school Tim loved this stuff. I haven’t listened to Christian music in at least 15 years and don’t believe in the majority of what they’re singing about, but I pulled out some old cds this week for old times sake. DC Talk and Newsboys haven’t aged well (surprised by the former, not the latter). Jars of Clay, Audio adrenaline, and third day still hold up pretty well. Did anyone else listen to this back in the day or is this just a cool story Hansel?

Middle school Tim loved this stuff. I haven’t listened to Christian music in at least 15 years and don’t believe in the majority of what they’re singing about, but I pulled out some old cds this week for old times sake. DC Talk and Newsboys haven’t aged well (surprised by the former, not the latter). Jars of Clay, Audio adrenaline, and third day still hold up pretty well. Did anyone else listen to this back in the day or is this just a cool story Hansel?

I think Jars of Clay was the only band of that group that could stand on their own based on talent as a band without the carved out Christian subculture market. I’d might put Caedmon’s Call/Derek Webb in that category as well, but few others if any.

Don't forget Casting Crowns (I think that was the name of them)...

I think I still have some Switchfoot in my library

I remember being so pissed when I found out they were god bros. The Beautiful Letdown was tits.

Woah I did not know that

WE WERE MEANT TO LIVE FOR SO MUCH MORE

Oh snap, that totally makes sense.

But yeah I wasn't really in to Jesus Jams. Those songs were the worst part of Young Life.

Jars of Clay is an extremely talented band. Listen to all that is going on within the song from lyrics to instruments and timing. Even if you are not a Christian, I think that you will appreciate the music.

I have no idea what anybody on this thread is talking about but I do remember my freshmen year suitemate blasting Amy Grant on his stereo every afternoon. We used to drive him crazy by talking about the sexual things we would like to do to her.

Loved me some classic Audio Adrenaline (not the current version of the band). I think they were doing their best to buck the controlled Christian music industry as much as they could at the time, especially on Bloom and Some Kind of Zombie. I can't stand what's out there today. In fact, I was just in Chik Fil A yesterday, heard Christian music in the bathroom, and told my wife it sounds exactly the same as the last time I listened on the radio five years ago. And five years ago sounded the same as the previous 10. Every Christian band sounds the same and that sound no longer speaks to me. I used to have major issues with the Christian music industry for not supporting Stryper, but I'm so glad it didn't now. They have been able to to their own thing, evolve their sound over time, and continue to put out fantastic music with a great message. God Damn Evil is the best album they have ever recorded.

Back