• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Choose Your Own Adventure thread

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
Hello traveller.

In this, the very first of its kind, I will be taking you on a message board thread adventure. I’ll clearly lay out rules for points in the game where you will be faced with a choice that will determine what happens next.

I have been working on this thread for months now, writing literal hundreds of pages of content for different paths to be taken. I only ask that you take this game as seriously and have as much fun with it as I have had making it. I encourage discussion, debate, making fun of the thread/me/each other, anything goes.

Here we go!

The Chronicles of Zolkobb

INTRODUCTION:You are about to embark on an epic adventure in the mythical land of Alarien. As you start the game, you will assume the role of Zolkobb, a young and brave warrior with a destiny that lies in the balance. Your choices will shape the outcome of the story, potentially leading you through encounters with elves, dragons, wizards, trolls, thieves, soothsayers, and the royal family. Good luck!

SCRIPT:

Scene 1: The Forest of Enchantia

You find yourself in the mystical Forest of Enchantia. Ahead, you spot a group of elves in a heated argument with a massive dragon. What will you do?

Option 1: Approach the elves and offer your assistance in negotiating with the dragon.

Option 2: Sneak around the confrontation and try to bypass them unnoticed.

The first person to respond with a response that either states “Option 1” or “Option 2” will dictate how the story unfolds from here. Good luck!

You have chosen option 1.

Well met fellow traveller! We are Gordoryx and Smellmam, twin brothers and immortals from the Isle of Uske.

The dragon you see here has blocked our path and threatened our livelihoods if we do not agree to his terms. He wants us to cede control of our ancestral strait, the Waters of Ismungruin to his kind, the dragons, who will run ruin over the pathway between our people and the rest of civilization, seizing every ship’s coin unless they pledge fealty to Dragonkind.

We can turn back now, or we can pass on our quest together, betraying our people but seeking our riches in the mountains beyond. What say you?

Option 1: Council the elves to turn back, the three of you can return together to Uske and plot another quest with more troops to take on the mountain treasure.

Option 2: Council the elves to betray their kind, join them together on the mountain treasure quest.

In order for the story to proceed, three posters need to vote for an option.

You and the elves have decided to take the dragon’s deal, and he shall let you pass. Three of you together now start along the winding path up towards the mountains.

As you embark on the winding path into the majestic mountains, you can feel the air growing colder and the atmosphere thick with anticipation. The breezes whisper secrets of forgotten quests and hidden treasures as you press on, guided only by the distant glow of a mysterious jewel said to lead the way. The path ahead is treacherous, but determination and camaraderie fuels your spirits, filling you with the courage to face the unknown.

As you ascend higher, the terrain becomes steeper and more challenging. With each step, you encountered tests of wit and strength, overcoming perilous obstacles and navigating through hidden traps. Finally, you reach a crossroads that presents you with two distinct choices.

Option one: follow a narrow, perilous ledge that promises a shorter route but poses a significant risk of falling into the abyss below. The reward, though, could be a treasure chamber hidden away from the conventional path, guarded by ancient magic.

Option two: take the longer, safer route, winding around the mountain, a more predictable journey with fewer immediate dangers. The legends hint that this path might lead to a series of enchanted challenges, testing our inner strength and resolve before granting access to the treasure.

For this choice you must first appoint a DECIDER with five nominations. Once the decider has been nominated, they may make their choice how to proceed.

You have nominated a decider, who has chosen the perilous option 1.

Fortune favors the bold, and you have proven yourself bold indeed. Many have attempted this narrow path up the mountain cliffs, but few have survived. On the second eve up this pass, gravel starts to give way, and the elves cling to the mountain side, sending debris back toward you and making your footing unsteady.

You grasp at anything to hold on, but gravity wins the day, and you find yourself tumbling down the mountain, head over foot over head over foot. Bloodied and bruised you come to a landing 2/3 of the way down the mountain, your gear nowhere in sight, your left leg surely broken, agony and despair setting in.

For two long days trapped in a prison of pain and despair the sun beats down in the day with no water to slake your thirst, and for two desperate nights the moon looks down over a relentless cool with no cover for your chilled body. You find but a few beetles and roots to satisfy your hunger, but cling feebly to life.

In your darkest hour, a talking cat comes around a boulder and begins to speak to you. She says: “I am Osgilioph, Queen of the cats. I will save your life if you make one decision that shows cleverness, which we value over all else. If not, I cannot guarantee your safety. We cats are a proud and ancient kind, older than your people, and wiser still.

In days of old, we were revered for our ways, our skill in hunting, our cunning in danger, and our friendship to man. Now we have fallen out of favor with your people, relegated to the place of servitude, enslaved in your cities, defanged and declawed, and at your whim. I am the last of a long line of regal cats, and I must know what fate you see for our race.

Option 1: set my race free, let no man ever take a cat into his care and charge again, and agree that cats are the superior kind to your feeble humanity. In exchange I will heal your broken bones and give you a map which leads through the mountain and back up to the treasure you seek, but never again shall you be able to tame another beast of the wild.

Option 2: I will leave you supplies enough to survive for another fortnight, for ours is a merciful and noble race, but otherwise leave you on your own, for your wounds to heal or not, for the elements to take their toll, and to await whatever fate may come.

To make this next choice, whoever makes the post 47 posts from now shall be the next DECIDER.

You have chosen option 2, and declined the help of the Osgilioph.

“Curses and gadzooks! My people remain enslaved, and my kindness and grace spit upon. I will leave you my hunted and foraged food and water, and I’ll be on my way. You humans are always too clever by half, seeing every gift as a trap and every trap as a gift.”

“Your leg may heal in the next fortnight, and you may survive the elements, for I know you shall not starve nor die of thirst. But be warned if you continue on your mountain quest for treasure and glory, I’ve seen two cackling elves atop the mountain who looked up to no good, and I’ve heard a wizard is trapped inside the mountain stuck with the treasure’s curse applied, he’s no likely to help you either.”

“I’ll give you some advice, you can take or leave. The mountain treasure you sought is very difficult to obtain, and the one who seeks it rarely finds happiness when they obtain it. I will give you a hint of how to defeat the cursed wizard if you choose to proceed or, if you come with me back to our Kingdom of the Cat, you may be our honored guest, and you can heal and choose your next path from there.”

Option 1: listen for the hint and try and recover your injuries and stay on your mountain treasure quest.

Option 2: return with Queen Osgilioph to the Kingdom of the Cat as honored guest to recover and regroup.

The first responder on Tuesday, 8/8 will choose the next option in your quest.

Last edited:
Option one. I am so fucking here for this.

If we're allowed to add more than just one or two, I would like to approach the group in a way that didn't clearly favor the elves or the dragon. Let's keep our options open if the dragon is more amenable to negotiation.

You find yourself siding with the elves, and the dragon gets more angry and bbqs you all. /thread

If we're allowed to add more than just one or two, I would like to approach the group in a way that didn't clearly favor the elves or the dragon. Let's keep our options open if the dragon is more amenable to negotiation.
Christ, of course the Public Defender doesn’t want to appear biased against dragons. Dragons have rights man. Ya? Where was the Dragon January 6th?

Christ, of course the Public Defender doesn’t want to appear biased against dragons. Dragons have rights man. Ya? Where was the Dragon January 6th?
Bro, Dragons are wise and powerful. Who needs some fuckboi elves if we can get some milage out of a dragon buddy for a bit. Have to peace before he eats us, but the upside is 100% there.

Gotta keep the options open while we learn the lay of the land.

Bro, Dragons are wise and powerful. Who needs some fuckboi elves if we can get some milage out of a dragon buddy for a bit. Have to peace before he eats us, but the upside is 100% there.

Gotta keep the options open while we learn the lay of the land.
from the guy most likely to be seen dressed as Legolas out at a gay bar

You have chosen option 1.

Well met fellow traveller! We are Gordoryx and Smellmam, twin brothers and immortals from the Isle of Uske.

The dragon you see here has blocked our path and threatened our livelihoods if we do not agree to his terms. He wants us to cede control of our ancestral strait, the Waters of Ismungruin to his kind, the dragons, who will run ruin over the pathway between our people and the rest of civilization, seizing every ship’s coin unless they pledge fealty to Dragonkind.

We can turn back now, or we can pass on our quest together, betraying our people but seeking our riches in the mountains beyond. What say you?

Option 1: Council the elves to turn back, the three of you can return together to Uske and plot another quest with more troops to take on the mountain treasure.

Option 2: Council the elves to betray their kind, join them together on the mountain treasure quest.

In order for the story to proceed, three posters need to vote for an option.

OR Option 3

original.gif

Option 1

It seems like having an entire race of creatures pissed at us this early in our adventure is not a great choice.

Back