• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

It is true that there are free courts all over, but tennis is an expensive sport to be good at

This is correct - it’s a very outdated stereotype. Tennis can be a relatively inexpensive sport because there are free courts all over the place. My kids have played all youth sports - basketball, baseball, soccer, football, etc - and youth tennis has by far the most diverse participants.

#anecdotes

vs data:

e4eebad225f84d87a5c6a50f572955e5.jpg

http://www.asandaces.org/uploads/4/...more_than_a_sport_full_report_2.27.13_1_1.pdf

Regardless of whether tennis is diverse, here are Harvard's tennis teams

TNM_1011_Team%2Bphoto.JPG

D_x9Lw2WwAEWUQM.jpg

These are the kids gaining acceptance to Harvard as athletes and paying tuition because Harvard does not have athletic scholarships.

Regardless of whether tennis is diverse, here are Harvard's tennis teams

TNM_1011_Team%2Bphoto.JPG

D_x9Lw2WwAEWUQM.jpg

These are the kids gaining acceptance to Harvard as athletes and paying tuition because Harvard does not have athletic scholarships.

Uh, that women’s team is not proving your point. 10 of the 15 girls on their roster are black, Hispanic, or asian.

Yeah...that’s from 2006 and doesn’t include Asians. But good try.

Here’s some more relevant data, if you’re interested. On Sept 30, 2019, of the top 100 ranked boys 14s in North Carolina, 35% are black, Asian, or Hispanic.

How is the makeup of the top 100 in one state at one point of time anywhere close to relevant to the overall diversity of players?

I think tennis has a very low entry barrier with respect to necessary equipment and facilities, but to become an elite talent is incredibly expensive.

How is the makeup of the top 100 in one state at one point of time anywhere close to relevant to the overall diversity of players?

Because it’s current, accurate, and we were discussing youth sports.

Tennis is just one of the sports mentioned in this article. This discussion is just obscuring the broader point.

Ph is correct that there are a few conversations going on.

Merlin correctly pointed out that tennis is not a rare and exclusive sport.

In regards to athletics increasing acceptance chances at Ivys, that is also correct. It’s not a surprise - the qualified applicants all have good grades and test scores, so it takes an elite talent (sports, music, art, writing, etc) to stand out.

That’s not what the article says.

That’s not what the article says.

Wrong. That’s exactly what the source paper says. Pay particular attention to Table 2. 84% of the recruited athletes have an academic score of 1-3, and 83% of the non-athletes have a 1-3 academic score. However, the athletes are accepted at a much higher rate. So both groups have the same academic score (which is calculated using grades and standardized tests) but athletics gives that group a boost for acceptance.

This all seems rather intuitive. Harvard has a lot of sports, they want their teams to do well, so they recruit and accept the best athletes with qualifying academics that they they can get.

Last edited:
If you have some current data with all racial groups included, please post it.

I’ve posted a study that includes nationwide data from this decade that shows an apples to apples comparison between tennis and other sports.

All you have are #anecdotes.

I’ve posted a study that includes nationwide data from this decade that shows an apples to apples comparison between tennis and other sports.

All you have are #anecdotes.

You posted data from 2006 (you really need to work on critical reading skills). I posted data from last week.

You posted data from 2006 (you really need to work on critical reading skills). I posted data from last week.

I’ll give you another chance to reread the methods section...

Back