• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A "Culture" Question

DeacLaw05

Reaction score
I was thinking earlier (and it may have been mentioned somewhere here before), but has it ever been pinpointed the first time that Wellman cited the alleged culture deficiency under Gaudio as a means of defending the Bz hire?

I'm certain that it was never mentioned at the time of Dino's firing and Bz being hired, and I'm pretty confident that it didn't happen until after the product on the floor under Bz turned out to be something south of horrible in his first year. However, I don't recall the exact date or circumstance in which Wellman first brought it up. Anybody know when this was?

It was in the introductory press conference for Bzz...Wellman also threw in some reference about dino eating steak with his hands in public.

I think he's over-reacting to the Today Show incident. I think this put the wheels in motion re Dino. I don't think he mentioned culture until it was obvious Bz can't win, and culture is some sort of consolation prize/primary objective. Somehow he's created the false dilemma that only Bz can provide the right culture and everyone else has bad culture. Bz is a jedi.

Dino was extended after the Gary Clark scandal.

IIRC, when [Redacted] was hired he was a good fit for Wake's culture, it wasn't till he started failing that [Redacted] became the person to change Wake's culture. It's all cover for [Redacted] under-performing. Wellman, for reasons that aren't clear, seems to think that [Redacted] is a really good coach.

Posted before:

I coached AAU ball with JTT's uncle. JTT used to come by sometimes. He knew in was a big wake fan and he was the one told me that Dino had been fired. He said Dino told the recruits he was fired because RW wanted to change the type of players we were recruiting - no more one and dones majoring in pre-nba like James Johnson. He wanted 4 year kids that rep wake well on and off court. Dino, fresh off contract extension the year before, said he needed nba talent to be top team in acc. Wellman insisted he change, Dino stood his ground, so Wellman fired him.

Wellman blamed the firing on lack if post season success, but culture was the reason and buzzy was his version of the answer.

Last edited:
we currently have MBA talent. that's the problem

Posted before:

I coached AAU ball with JTT's uncle. JTT used to come by sometimes. He knew in was a big wake fan and he was the one told me that Dino had been fired. He said Dino told the recruits he was fired because RW wanted to change the type of players we were recruiting - no more one and dones majoring in pre-nba like James Johnson. He wanted 4 year kids that rep wake well on and off court. Dino, fresh off contract extension the year before, said he needed nba talent to be top team in acc. Wellman insisted he change, Dino stood his ground, so Wellman fired him.

Wellman blamed the firing on lack if post season success, but culture was the reason and buzzy was his version of the answer.

And this is what we all fear - that Wellman doesn't want us to compete year in and year out. We will be good every 3-4 years or so and suffer through miserable seasons in between. The team with the most NBA talent wins. That's college basketball. Wellman needs to be fired if he refuses to allow us to field a winning team based on his personal beliefs.

And this is what we all fear - that Wellman doesn't want us to compete year in and year out. We will be good every 3-4 years or so and suffer through miserable seasons in between. The team with the most NBA talent wins. That's college basketball. Wellman needs to be fired if he refuses to allow us to field a winning team based on his personal beliefs.

but.. but... but, the Butler...

Posted before:

So, naturally, he brought in a guy who has never held a HC job for more than 3 years.

Back