• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Lie So Obvious It Is Funny

oldmandeac

Reaction score
There was an online interview with Carly Simon (songs like You're So Vain years ago) about several topics but a lot of it was about her friendship with the Clintons. She has sang at many of their birthday parties. One of the interview questions and her response:

Did Hillary Clinton ever ask you about your life? Is she a fan?
She did and she is. Bill and Hillary both told me that they danced at their wedding to my song from Torch "I Get Along Very Well Without You." Bill put it on his record of favorite songs. 

Only one small problem. Bill and Hillary were married in 1975. The album mentioned was released in 1981!

This thread is awesome. By the way, though, Torch is a cover album. Simon didn't write the song; some dude wrote it in the 1930s or 40s.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Get_Along_Without_You_Very_Well_(Except_Sometimes)

Notable recordings:

Dick Todd and his orchestra (recorded February 8, 1939, released by Bluebird Records as catalog number 10150, with the flip side "I Promise You")

Charlie Barnet and his orchestra (recorded January 20, 1939, released by Bluebird Records as catalog number 10119A, with the flip side "I'm Prayin' Humble")

Chet Baker – Chet Baker Sings (recorded 1954, released 1956)

Frank Sinatra – In the Wee Small Hours (1955)

Karen Chandler – Her Dot single brought the song to #19 on Billboard's 1968 Easy Listening chart.

Larry Clinton and his orchestra (recorded January 20, 1939, released by Victor Records as catalog number 26151A, with the flip side "The Masquerade Is Over")

The Four Freshmen – Four Freshmen and Five Saxes (1957)

Billie Holiday – Lady in Satin (1958)
Evelyn Knight (released by Decca Records in the United States as catalog number 27992, with the flip side "The Purtiest Little Tree," and in 1953 by Brunswick Records (United Kingdom) as catalog number 05039, with the flip side "Lonesome and Blue")

Frankie Laine – Torchin' (1958)

Dirk Bogarde – Lyrics for lovers (1960)

Rosemary Clooney – Rosie Solves the Swingin' Riddle! (1960)

Peggy Lee – If You Go (1961)

Matt Monro – Matt Monro Sings Hoagy Carmichael (1962)

June Christy – The Intimate Miss Christy recorded April 1963

Petula Clark – In Other Words (1962)

Tony Mitchell (released 1957 by Liberty Records as catalog number 55110, with the flip side "Tell Me, Tell Me")

Red Norvo and his orchestra (vocal by Terry Allen; recorded February 8, 1939, released by Vocalion Records as catalog number 4648, with the flip side "Kiss Me with Your Eyes" and by Conqueror Records as catalog number 9177, with the flip side "Could Be")

Nina Simone – Nina Simone and Piano (1969)

The Durutti Column – I Get Along Without You Very Well/Prayer (Factory Records FAC 64, 1983)

Linda Ronstadt – For Sentimental Reasons (1986)

Dinah Shore (recorded October 1947, released by Columbia Records as catalog number 38201, with the flip side "I'll Be Seeing You" and as catalog number 38570, with the flip side "Little White Lies")

Carly Simon – Torch (1981)

This thread is awesome. By the way, though, Torch is a cover album. Simon didn't write the song; some dude wrote it in the 1930s or 40s.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPSsssss

jesus christ, guys. at least google something for 2 seconds before posting it

I don't know, dude, it #feels like something Clinton would deliberately mislead the American public about.

I wish these stories weren't distracting from president elect clinton implanting her agenda. Besides the songs a counting crows song anyways.

oldman is hilarious...like Trump didn't tell a ton of whoppers....or most politicians...

Hoagy Carmichael was a bit more than just "some dude"

Didn't actually realize it was him that wrote it. Thank god for this thread.

Also, Hoagy is a badass name. Kinda makes me hungry.

She's saying they told her they danced to her version of the song. Duh. Just another well documented Clinton lie. Like when she claimed she was named after Sir Edmund Hillary or this whopper:

The woman is clearly a chronic, degenerate liar.

Let her go. She can't hurt you anymore.

its very very likely there was a copy of Carly Simon covering that song well before her cover album was released.

So typically Clinton: an ingratiating lie. Lies have always been the cornerstones of any good Clinton relationship. To be sure, Carly does not show too much knowledge or intelligence in not noticing the lie and repeating the story. The Clintons just have this way of making all of their supporters look foolish sooner or later. So, if you want to remain a glutton for punishment, just continue to defend away.

Back