• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Modest Proposal: #BuzzOUT

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
Hello sports board.

A few of us have been kicking around an idea, and it's time to take it public. We need a larger way of letting the university and community know that we don't want Jeff [Redacted] to coach our basketball team anymore. Yesterday's ESPN pieces were a great start for exposure's sake. Today, I'm proposing we as an online community collect funds to purchase a good sized advertisement in the Winston Salem journal.

It will be very simple, not at all harsh or mean, and it will deliver your message that we have had enough. A simple Fire Jeff [Redacted] with one ot two charts and a sentence of explanation will almost certainly suffice.

Irish and OGB (an unlikely combo) have agreed to help composed the message. What writeups need from these boards is someone who knows anything about ad sales to make sure this will fly to get in touch with the journal to see that we can get it printed in a timely manner and a prominent location in the paper. What we will then need is a decent amount of $, any excess of which can go to this board's burgeoning server costs.

Before I set up a PayPal ac account, I wanted to test the waters and take the idea out from behind the scenes. This, to me is less ostentatious than a billboard, but still a clear message and expression of discontent. Any and all ideas and opinions of assent and dissent are welcome.

As the noble ESPN writer mentioned yesterday, we are a proud fanbase. Let's see if we can't do our part to tip the scales any more than we could by idly message board posting. Go Deacs.

Would they run it? They probably rely quite a bit on ad dollars from Wake.

A PR campaign like the ESPN piece is effective and a proper form of communication. This could move to all blogs, college basketball writers and networks that have journalist who are looking for things to cover. Wake is enough of a brand name where you would continue to get traction as long as personal attacks are not part of the message.

On the other side billboards and ads are just that...paid advertising which will carry no credibility and further damage our brand.

I'm Buzz out but there is a right and wrong way to do this.

Not sure why you think an ad by the fanbase wouldn't be picked up by other media outlets. When other schools have done similar things in the past, blogs are always jumping to talk about it. Can also help cement the #BuzzOut hashtag.

Also, might be worth removing the sticky on this for the day as I assume many people (including myself) immediately scroll down past the stickies and look for threads. I imagine this will stay near the top from discussion for today at least, and then can be stickied later.

Good idea, Townie. I say that with complete seriousness.

A PR campaign like the ESPN piece is effective and a proper form of communication. This could move to all blogs, college basketball writers and networks that have journalist who are looking for things to cover. Wake is enough of a brand name where you would continue to get traction as long as personal attacks are not part of the message.

On the other side billboards and ads are just that...paid advertising which will carry no credibility and further damage our brand.

Oh, HAI, AD PLANT!!!

100% correct.

In once we get permission. Sadly I have no contacts at WSJ.

Nobody reads the fucking Winston-Salem Journal. If you want people to actually notice, you need to be in the paper in Greensboro, Raleigh and Charlotte, on the same day.

Anyway, I think you're wasting your money and effort at this point unless you're just in fundraising mode. He's not going to be fired before March anyway. Besides, you've already announced it on a message board. Wake knows what you're doing. Wellman knows what you're doing. If they're able to persuade the papers not to run it, they will.

And let me point out that the very fact that you're trying to put this together with $25 donations to a Paypal account only proves that you have absolutely no clout with anybody who matters when it comes to determining whether [Redacted] will continue as coach after this year.

As Gus said to Walter on his second cell phone as Walter was walking up the street towards his house to kill him, "Go home Walter."

Nobody reads the fucking Winston-Salem Journal. If you want people to actually notice, you need to be in the paper in Greensboro, Raleigh and Charlotte, on the same day.

Anyway, I think you're wasting your money and effort at this point unless you're just in fundraising mode. He's not going to be fired before March anyway. Besides, you've already announced it on a message board. Wake knows what you're doing. Wellman knows what you're doing. If they're able to persuade the papers not to run it, they will.

And let me point out that the very fact that you're trying to put this together with $25 donations to a Paypal account only proves that you have absolutely no clout with anybody who matters when it comes to determining whether [Redacted] will continue as coach after this year.

What HP is trying to say is he'll kick in $50 if you add "P.S.: Georgia Tech is ghey" at the bottom in comic sans.

This is unnecessary. Newspaper ads will not tell Wellman anything he is not already aware of and it would make the WFU fan base look bad. I don't think it will help in attracting our next head coach, either.

This is unnecessary. Newspaper ads will not tell Wellman anything he is not already aware of and it would make the WFU fan base look bad. I don't think it will help in attracting our next head coach, either.

This is something worth considering.

Back