• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A not so crazy idea -How two comics could have changed POTUS election

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
I fully understand many here will laugh this off and mock it, but some will think a little deeper and get what I'm saying. It's out of the box and a completely logical idea at the same time. So here goes.

First of all, I'm not saying or implying this concept would have changed millions of votes or even hundreds of thousands. Hillary didn't need that. She could have won if she changed 39,000 of those 77,000 votes in PA, MI, WI or if she got 78,000 more people to vote or a combination of the two. It's a very, very minimal change.

The first former comic who could have helped change the outcome of the the presidential election is Al Franken. Many here dismissed my suggestion that Franken be the VP nominee. He should have been. Some of the major problems were that BernieBros didn't get out and vote in the numbers in the primaries and some voted for Stein or Johnson due to Hillary and her mayo on white bread choice of Tim Kaine for VP. Kaine is a good guy, but he isn't progressive. Since arriving in DC, Franken has been one of the Top 5, most progressive Senators. He doesn't hide it and is unafraid to tell everyone about it. BernieBros would have liked Franken.

Also about Franken is his style. He is very, very good at taking shots without upsetting people. He's good enough and darn it people like him. He would have been the only person in the race that tons of people didn't dislike. Additionally, his wit and intelligence could have driven home barbs with a smile. This would have been a good counterbalance to the mean-spirited campaign from both sides. Many people on each side disliked the tone and stayed home or changed their vote.

Again, I'm not talking about a massive change. No VP would make a massive change in the vote.

The other will get some derision, but think before you attack. The "retirement" of Jon Stewart. I don't believe Stewart would have "retired" had he thought Trump would have won the primary. He woudl have had too much fun. Trevor Noah appears to be a good guy and is growing into a huge seat. Taking Jon's spot is probably the most difficult replacement since Johnny Carson retired and is probably more difficult than Leno's ascension. When Stewart "retired", as bizarre as it is to imagine, people under 35 "trusted" more than anyone on TV.

What Stewart could have done to Trump would have hurt his vote total. Plus, by being on four nights a week, Stewart could have gotten fewer young people to switch over to Stein and Johnson, More importantly, he would have cajoled more BernieBros into getting out to vote,

Like I've said multiple times, I'm not trying to say either or both of these people would have caused a sea change. However, we are only talking about less than 1/10 of 1% or slightly more in these three states.

Again, this just an idea, a thought. I am not saying this is #11 on Moses' tablet but is something to think about.

Not all thoughts need to be shared.

I'm not so sure that those are even RJ's thoughts. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something that he saw somewhere and copied & pasted....for two reasons:

I don't remember ever reading an RJ post which was that long & cogent and....more importantly...completely without multiple omitted words from sentences that would have made it almost unreadable.

Trump probably would not have won if Gilbert Gottfried replaced Mike Pence as his VP. May want to change the title to how three comics could have changed the POTUS election. I am not saying this is #12 on Moses' tablet but is something to think about.

I'm not so sure that those are even RJ's thoughts. I wouldn't be surprised if it was something that he saw somewhere and copied & pasted....for two reasons:

I don't remember ever reading an RJ post which was that long & cogent and....more importantly...completely without multiple omitted words from sentences that would have made it almost unreadable.

Run a spell check. If there are no errors found, you have your answer. You don't even need to check the whole thing. Just run it on the first few sentences.

I think he wrote it. I saw a "woudl" just scanning it quickly. And then I found this thing that I think is supposed to be a sentence at the end of a paragraph:

"When Stewart "retired", as bizarre as it is to imagine, people under 35 "trusted" more than anyone on TV."

I think Jon Stewart retiring was a boon to Pubs as so many used him as a legit news source.

Al Franken, on the other hand, is unlikable and pathetic. Would have been an awful choice. Then again, Hillary did make an awful choice so it may have been a wash.

Al Franken comes across as smarmy and elitist to me. He is and always has been like nails on a chalkboard IMHO. The Al Franken choice would have made HRC look even more out of touch with the American voter (lol, as if that was possible) than she already did.

Probs all those elitists like DeacMan in Minnesota who like him.

I think he wrote it. I saw a "woudl" just scanning it quickly. And then I found this thing that I think is supposed to be a sentence at the end of a paragraph:

"When Stewart "retired", as bizarre as it is to imagine, people under 35 "trusted" more than anyone on TV."

You're probably right. However, the idea that not selecting Al Franken as VP & Jon Stewart's retirement cost Hillary the election is certainly a new & unusual twist to the long and constantly growing list of reasons why she lost this election....and one that could easily reflect RJ's bizarre mindset. You have to admit, though, that a post which is that long and has so few grammatical errors is certainly out of character for RJ.

Back