• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A tivial question for serious runners

mebanedeac

Reaction score
What would be a good 5k time for an 11 yr. old?

The reason for the question is that my 11 yr. old grandson ran a community wide 5k last week-end and finished well; but I am wondering how good his time actually was. Not being a runner, it is difficult to know.

It is trivial but I would appreciate any information.

I'd say around 20-22 minutes is probably a pretty good time for a kid that old. But that's just from some quick googling plus knowing what my niece ran around that age (and that spurred her to start running more/taking it seriously).

Eleven-year olds should be playing real sports, not competitively exercising.

Why don't you just let a kid be a kid and be happy that he is being active and enjoying a healthy activity?

If he finished well and had fun, then his time was good enough.

I'd say around 20-22 minutes is probably a pretty good time for a kid that old. But that's just from some quick googling plus knowing what my niece ran around that age (and that spurred her to start running more/taking it seriously).

Thank you. That's helpful. His time was 20 minutes and 46 sec. He finished 3rd over-all behind two adults.

Thank you. That's helpful. His time was 20 minutes and 46 sec. He finished 3rd over-all behind two adults.

Damn, yeah, I'd say that's pretty good. Especially so if he hasn't really trained for it.

Have you told him that he'll only truly become a man by playing high school football ?
Especially if he's into soccer and running

May need to go ahead and get him into pop warner now before the soccer sets in permanently

Especially if he's into soccer and running

May need to go ahead and get him into pop warner now before the soccer sets in permanently

Well, he can always join the military. But it has to be the Army or Marines. None of that sissy Air Force stuff.

Back