• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A way out of this mess for John Boehner...and the nation

That would be a dire political miscalculation for a lot of moderate Republicans.

The Dems would come away as huge winners...the GOP wouldn't hand over a victory like that. They'd rather burn.

What's out of political pressure reach from the Tea Party these days? They're in bed with the conservative media. None of this is about anything other than politics.

i actually kind of sort of feel sorry for boehner. i honestly believe that he wants to deal

Then get enough Republicans to make a deal and do the deal. Not hard. His problem is he is the leader of the Republican Party which is made up primarily of idiots. The base wants this. They don't want government.

Boehner would be an even less effectual leader than he is currently if he did that. He'd effectively be a puppet of the Dem party going forward and would lose any trust he has with Pub representatives.

Boehner is as much a lame duck as any politician now or ever. The Tea Party is calling the shots, and those people are ready and willing to drive us right over the cliff.

i actually kind of sort of feel sorry for boehner. i honestly believe that he wants to deal

I kind of do as well. I may not like him but I don't think he's an idiot and I wonder what it must be like to have to say the things he's said to the media recently.

I'm going to Ph this thread and say that I put forth this idea a week or so ago in the other thread, IIRC.

Sounding like there's a 6 week deal on the table...is anyone going to go for that?

ETA: This is for the debt ceiling only. No deal in sight to fund the gubmint.

Last edited:
Sounding like there's a 6 week deal on the table...is anyone going to go for that?

It's debt ceiling only and they're going to try and keep Treasury from doing "extraordinary measures." They want complete control to crash the plane without any safety features.

The TP has no incentive to deal if they can keep getting massive concessions every 6 weeks.

ETA: The $986 billion CR the Senate has passed is roughly 10% lower than the projected 2014 budget in the Paul Ryan 2010 budget plan.

Last edited:
Back