• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

I look forward to reading more about James Franco's 6 favorite books.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/10/14/five-thoughts-on-the-obamacare-disaster/

"We're now negative 14 days until the Affordable Care Act and most people still can't purchase insurance. The magnitude of this failure is stunning. Yes, the federal health-care law is a complicated project, government IT rules are a mess, and the scrutiny has been overwhelming. But the Obama administration knew all that going in. They should've been able to build an online portal that works.

Early on, President Obama like to compare the launch of the Affordable Care Act to Apple launching a new product. Can you imagine how many people Steve Jobs would've fired by now if he'd launched a new product like this..."

"A lot of liberals will be angry over this post. A lot of conservatives will be happy about it. But it's important to see the Affordable Care Act as something more than a pawn in the political wars: It's a real law that real people are desperately, nervously, urgently trying to access. And so far, the Obama administration has failed them.

The Obama administration's top job isn't beating the Republicans. It's running the government well. On this -- the most important initiative they've launched -- they've run the government badly. They deserve all the criticism they're getting and more."

Last edited:
Is it possible to purchase insurance before it becomes active on January 1? The policies aren't enforceable until then.

Is it possible to purchase insurance before it becomes active on January 1? The policies aren't enforceable until then.

They can't even run a website to a deadline of their own choosing....and you want a single-payer system? Good grief, Charlie Brown.

Around 40% of US health expenditures are already single payer, in the form of Medicare, Medicaid, VA, and CHIP. http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/NationalHealthExpendData/Downloads/Proj2011PDF.pdf

We would have been far, far better off to just expand Medicare and Medicaid to everyone in 2008 than we're going to be under the crazy, cobbled together teetering edifice of Obamacare. At lease with Medicare and Medicaid we have a working infrastructure already in place. Both have their problems but they are working models, especially Medicare. Old people love Medicare and count down the days until they can get signed up. Docs and hospital executives bitch about Medicare reimbursement rates but then put up billboards on the highways advertising that they're accepting Medicare patients, so their actions speak louder than words.

has anyone posted the admin costs associated with the single payer plans versus private plans? the difference is huge. damn efficient public sector.

Around 40% of US health expenditures are already single payer, in the form of Medicare, Medicaid, VA, and CHIP. http://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/NationalHealthExpendData/Downloads/Proj2011PDF.pdf

We would have been far, far better off to just expand Medicare and Medicaid to everyone in 2008 than we're going to be under the crazy, cobbled together teetering edifice of Obamacare. At lease with Medicare and Medicaid we have a working infrastructure already in place. Both have their problems but they are working models, especially Medicare. Old people love Medicare and count down the days until they can get signed up. Docs and hospital executives bitch about Medicare reimbursement rates but then put up billboards on the highways advertising that they're accepting Medicare patients, so their actions speak louder than words.

+1. The amount of misinformation on this subject is stunning and at the same time unremarkable.

Good piece.

Quote:
----------
...What Obamacare has wrought is the kind of market-driven reformation that Republicans pretend to believe in. Which makes you wonder how much of their opposition rests on the merits, and how much is just a loathing for anything associated with Barack Obama.
----------

Which is why, I speculate, Obama went with a Republican model for the ACA, even without Republican support. Had he tried to "force" single payer (etc.), Pubs would be now not stupidly opposing the ACA but offering the present ACA as a viable alternative. Now they've really no alternative. But still they oppose, and do so by manufactured crises after manufactured crisis. With gusto and passion sans reason.

My existing policy premiums (the one I liked, and wanted to keep) just went up 16.1%. #wearepayingtoomuchforthismuffler

Apparently I can like my policy, but not actually keep it after all. Knock me over with a feather. Meanwhile, the myDeaconmyhand Doucheband plays on....

was it the lack of maternity coverage?

Back