• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

We weren't going that extreme, but were basically looking at switching from Platinum to Bronze but using an HRA, but yes there were significant savings. What was interesting about the entire process is that I interviewed between 4-5 brokers, and not a single one even brought the option of self-insuring as a possibility for us to consider. We ultimately went against it because I was worried about the service from our broker, as they were not enthusiastic about going the HRA route. (Lower base fees = lower commissions)

The HRA is a great way to self fund. I strongly endorse this approach. Id demand this of my broker.

Factors Associated With Increases in US Health Care Spending, 1996-2013
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2661579?redirect=true

These are referencing the same study, but tilt's article on the study is a bit more readable. The study says we are being gouged by providers, paying more for the same services than in Europe. And we get more services when treated. This could be because we pay per service (more services =>more provider profit) or fear of litigation. Our utilization rates are comparable with Europe. The article mentions all-pay or single payer as possible solutions. A medical usury law would have the same effect (outlaw charging more than some percentage above Medicare rates). This solution has not been politicized yet, so partisan members hesitate to embrace it. We'll wait for it to become part of one side's talking points.

The HRA is a great way to self fund. I strongly endorse this approach. Id demand this of my broker.

A lot of carriers (supposedly) won't allow HRA's in California, for example UHC won't. Blue Shield is more don't ask don't tell.

Its pretty much impossible to police.

My main concern was I wasn't able to accurately describe simple things like how claims get processed, etc., using the 3rd party HRA administrator. And I didn't have enough time this year to fully vet/review the different competing platforms/companies that provide that service. I had learned the math worked, but I hadn't been familiar enough with the process to take ownership of making the transition a smooth one.

Strange they would start in KY. Not many black folks there. A lot of white oxy abusers who watch FoxNews 24/7 about to take a hit.

"If the courts rule that my actions were illegal I'll kick a half million people off healthcare" is one hell of an executive order.

What a clusterfuck.

All in the cause of trying to prevent Obama from getting credit for accomplishing something good. Because that's what I think really has driven the political opposition to the ACA.

Great job, Pubs. Dumbasses.

Back