• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Academics vs. Athletics

Academics vs. Athletics

• Top 25 Academics and dumpter fire athletics

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • Top 35-50 Academics and solid competitive athletics

Votes: 90 77.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We ain't an Ivy, nobody gives a shit what our USN&WR ranking is.

Maybe not, but it sure is fun to see State check in at DFL as the ACC's only three digit school.

Neither are Emory, Duke, Northwestern, William & Mary, Georgetown, etc., but people still recognize those schools simply from their academic reputation. Wake is trying to earn that same level of prestige, and the USNWR Rankings provide a tangible report of our progress towards that goal.

Neither are Emory, Duke, Northwestern, William & Mary, Georgetown, etc., but people still recognize those schools simply from their academic reputation. Wake is trying to earn that same level of prestige, and the USNWR Rankings provide a tangible report of our progress towards that goal.

You had me until W&M.

Funny that in three of the schools that you listed the first thing people will mention for them is their sports programs and the other two 90% of the country couldn't locate on a map.

Funny that in three of the schools that you listed the first thing people will mention for them is their sports programs and the other two 90% of the country couldn't locate on a map.

Duke's academic reputation is nearly equal to it's basketball reputation. Georgetown's academic rep probably exceeds that of it's basketball rep, nobody gives a shit where Patrick Ewing went to college anymore.

Duke's academic reputation is nearly equal to it's basketball reputation. Georgetown's academic rep probably exceeds that of it's basketball rep, nobody gives a shit where Patrick Ewing went to college anymore.

The first thing people will think of if you say either Duke or Georgetown is their basketball program, NOT their academics - I know its hard to wrap one's brain around, but most of this country doesn't give a crap about private schools pissing contests when they can't afford to send their kids to State U without piling up crippling debt.

The first thing people will think of if you say either Duke or Georgetown is their basketball program, NOT their academics - I know its hard to wrap one's brain around, but most of this country doesn't give a crap about private schools pissing contests when they can't afford to send their kids to State U without piling up crippling debt.

Duke maybe, but I disagree about Georgetown; That's not an argument worth having though.

In other news: Detroit's 10ft tall Robocop statue is in the bronzing stage.

Do you people really believe this drivel you are spouting? Nobody cares, really? So it wouldn't matter if we were in the second tier of national universities?

I don't know about everyone else's experience, but, I know that when I tell people I went to Wake Forest, it carries weight - it means something.

Do you people really believe this drivel you are spouting? Nobody cares, really? So it wouldn't matter if we were in the second tier of national universities?

I don't know about everyone else's experience, but, I know that when I tell people I went to Wake Forest, it carries weight - it means something.

And when I tell people I went to Wake people think I attended a military academy on the North Shore.

Yeah, the Duke Biomedical Engineering student from Malaysia who was better at math and geography at 10 years old than most American college grads knew more about Christian Laettner than Duke's academic reputation.

I know it's hard to wrap one's brain around, but a lot of people don't care about college sports, but they do care about the academic reputations of elite schools.

And when I tell people I went to Wake people think I attended a military academy on the North Shore.

And that is a perfect opportunity for you to say -- without including the "bullshit" caveat -- that you went to the #23 ranked school in the country.

This poll is barely a trade off. It should be Top 25 and dumpster fire athletically or solid athletics and Top 100-200 academically.

Not that we can't discuss this as well but it doesn't answer thread title of Academics v Athletics.

Your position is that, for one attempting to obtain a professorship, where they went to school carries absolutely no weight with the people doing the hiring? None? Because that is what you said.

Your position is that, for one attempting to obtain a professorship, where they went to school carries absolutely no weight with the people doing the hiring? None? Because that is what you said.

The reputation of your undergraduate institution does not matter so much when you have already earned a PhD -- especially not when you are "attempting to obtain a professorship", whatever that is supposed to mean.

The reputation of your undergraduate institution does not matter so much when you have already earned a PhD -- especially not when you are "attempting to obtain a professorship", whatever that is supposed to mean.

This. When I interviewed for positions nobody cared where I went to undergrad. They cared about my doctorate, post-doctoral work, papers, and grants/fellowships.

Well I was reading it a little differently - I wasn't making the distinction of where you obtained your undergrad versus grad degrees. I was just on the point that it does matter where you went to school.

This. When I interviewed for positions nobody cared where I went to undergrad. They cared about my doctorate, post-doctoral work, papers, and grants/fellowships.

And who you worked with in your doctorate and post-doc.

Scooter, that may be how you read it, but that's not what was said. This is what I disagreed with:
"I’d say the only other place the US News rankings actually matter is to people who wish to be professors."

As others have said, a ranking of institutions based on things like freshman SAT scores don't really matter. The job market cares about other things like what was mentioned above. A student with a BA or MA from a lower tier school will do well getting into grad schools if they do good work. And a highly ranked institution in US News may not have great grad programs or highly regarded grad programs may be at lower tier schools.

Last edited:
Back