• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Attendance

Except for the Georgetown part, I like it.

Lol at people not going to games because their smart phone won't get a signal, if that is someones excuse they need to be punched in the face, or just come to the Joel where you won't have to worry about crowds overloading the cell towers.

The ACC has done a poor job with letting ESPN brand the Conference. ESPN has turned the league into Carolina, Dook and the ten dwarves.

The decision to add Boston College was turrrrible, and we should contract them in favor of Georgetown. Georgetown is a fine academic school that is also a traditional basketball power and a natural rival for Maryland. We can teach them to play football (it would take about five minutes to get them up to ACC-caliber anyway).

If the ACC refuses to be smart and play a round robin, they should at least bundle its marquee product declare that the week after the Super Bowl (the noncoincidental annual scheduling of the first Dook-UNC game) be re-branded "ACC Hate Week."

ACC Hate Week is as follows:
Monday 7:00 game: Pitt-Syracuse
Tuesday 7:00: Ga Tech-Clemson; 9:00 Miami-Florida State
Wednesday 7:00 Maryland/Georgetown; 9:00 Virginia-Virginia Tech
Thursday 7:00 Wake/State 9:00 UNC/Dook

Repeat same sequence to end the year, adjusting for days of the week.

Georgetown would never do home and home with Maryland, and they likely never will as long as a Thompson is coaching. This is pretty well documented. If somehow they did come to the ACC they would probably demand Syracuse. Also, that little detail of no football program is a game changer.

Obviously a better team in a better league would yield bigger crowds, but does this trend potentially lead to smaller, more intimate venues?

I think it clearly does. Cameron Indoor Stadium is about right for a private school college basketball venue (and even there, they've had to sell some of the student seats to fill them up).

The Joel at 14,000 is a dinosaur from a universe long ago and far away. In 1989, cable and satellite were not factors, and the only ACC games on TV were one or two on Saturday afternoon. So live attendance was about the only way to see a lot of games and you were almost always attending a game that was not on TV, so you got something special for your time and money. Not now.

Best thing Wake should do with the Joel purchase is renovate it to make it around 9000 max seating, so it would look a lot better on TV instead of acres of empty seats.

Let's face it: Basketball arenas now are primarily just TV studios.

Georgetown would never do home and home with Maryland, and they likely never will as long as a Thompson is coaching. This is pretty well documented. If somehow they did come to the ACC they would probably demand Syracuse. Also, that little detail of no football program is a game changer.

Dook says wut?

Lol at people not going to games because their smart phone won't get a signal, if that is someones excuse they need to be punched in the face, or just come to the Joel where you won't have to worry about crowds overloading the cell towers.

I thought that was a rather stupid point as well. The ACC's attendance problems aren't that complicated.

1. The economy sucks
2. Flat screens, HD, and most games are on television.
2. One & dones have watered down college basketball tremendously in the last 10 years
3. The ACC has weakened it's self by adding teams with no regional ties (BC), or historical basketball following (Miami), which removed the round-robin schedule.
4. The ACC itself has sucked outside of UNC/Duke.

Add in LTR's and it costs a small fortune to go to a game. As others have said, with the currentl product on the floor, I am much happier in my man cave with some adult beverages.

The ACC has done a poor job with letting ESPN brand the Conference. ESPN has turned the league into Carolina, Dook and the ten dwarves.

The decision to add Boston College was turrrrible, and we should contract them in favor of Georgetown. Georgetown is a fine academic school that is also a traditional basketball power and a natural rival for Maryland. We can teach them to play football (it would take about five minutes to get them up to ACC-caliber anyway).

If the ACC refuses to be smart and play a round robin, they should at least bundle its marquee product declare that the week after the Super Bowl (the noncoincidental annual scheduling of the first Dook-UNC game) be re-branded "ACC Hate Week."

ACC Hate Week is as follows:
Monday 7:00 game: Pitt-Syracuse
Tuesday 7:00: Ga Tech-Clemson; 9:00 Miami-Florida State
Wednesday 7:00 Maryland/Georgetown; 9:00 Virginia-Virginia Tech
Thursday 7:00 Wake/State 9:00 UNC/Dook

Repeat same sequence to end the year, adjusting for days of the week.

ESPN has done an incredibly shitty job with the ACC Sunday Night Hoops package.

ACC teams just need to start dominating again and the problem will be solved.

ESPN has done an incredibly shitty job with the ACC Sunday Night Hoops package.

Aren't they all on ESPNU? I never look to see what's on ESPNU unless it's a college football Saturday, and even then, it's about my 5th or 6th option.

I think it clearly does. Cameron Indoor Stadium is about right for a private school college basketball venue (and even there, they've had to sell some of the student seats to fill them up).

The Joel at 14,000 is a dinosaur from a universe long ago and far away. In 1989, cable and satellite were not factors, and the only ACC games on TV were one or two on Saturday afternoon. So live attendance was about the only way to see a lot of games and you were almost always attending a game that was not on TV, so you got something special for your time and money. Not now.

Best thing Wake should do with the Joel purchase is renovate it to make it around 9000 max seating, so it would look a lot better on TV instead of acres of empty seats.

Let's face it: Basketball arenas now are primarily just TV studios.

LOLWUT

Back