• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Barnstorming - CJ

91deac

Richard Joyce
Reaction score
http://www.greensborosports.com/ind...ast-guilford-high-school-this-thursday-night/

ACC Barnstorming Tour tickets are on sale!
Greensboro, NC – This Thursday April 11th, the ACC All-Stars will appear in Greensboro for a basketball game at Southeast Guilford High School. This year’s roster includes Duke’s All-Americans Seth Curry and Mason Plumlee along with teammate Ryan Kelly, UNC’s Dexter Strickland, NC State’s Scott Wood and Richard Howell, and Wake Forest’s C.J. Harris. This is the first time in Barnstorming history that the roster includes starters from ALL four schools.

http://www.greensborosports.com/ind...ast-guilford-high-school-this-thursday-night/

ACC Barnstorming Tour tickets are on sale!
Greensboro, NC – This Thursday April 11th, the ACC All-Stars will appear in Greensboro for a basketball game at Southeast Guilford High School. This year’s roster includes Duke’s All-Americans Seth Curry and Mason Plumlee along with teammate Ryan Kelly, UNC’s Dexter Strickland, NC State’s Scott Wood and Richard Howell, and Wake Forest’s C.J. Harris. This is the first time in Barnstorming history that the roster includes starters from ALL four schools.

Weird. They've been doing this for a long time. It's not like this is the first time all Big Four schools have had senior starters.

Code:
They've been doing this for a long time.

Very fond memories of this event 30+ years ago. More scaled down now; felt like they used to hit every small town in the state. I am happy, but surprised, they still do this.

Are there enough 3pt FGA to go around? With Wood, Kelly, Curry, and Harris, the scoreboard might explode.

Usually they stack the team with Blue Steel (or whatever they call it now) scrubs. Actually these are fun events, especially when they are out in the sticks. Last year I covered the one at North Wilkes High...great crowd.

have great memories of the barnstormers rolling through the gym at Reynolds HS. I think Dudley Bradley was one of the players.

Refereed a bunch of of those back in the day. Laettner, Rodney Rogers. All star basketball & just don't let them get hurt.

Rodney went to the NBA after his Jr. year. When would he have played in this game?

Rodney went to the NBA after his Jr. year. When would he have played in this game?

That summer. They got about $2000 per game as the stars back then. Great money for those guys. The regular seniors got about $200 per game. They started usually in April and before the draft. Took a real chance of course, but Laettner did too and whoever else was draftable. They played in Greensboro at UNC-G, Hickory at Lenoir Rhyne I think, McGeachy ran the show and lined things up. He didn't pay us much but that was fine as it was fun reffing these guys.

Also did the Jordan Games one year at UNC-G. He & fellow pros would come to Greensboro & play a big pick up game as an exhibition while he was in town. His agent or attorney was in the Triad. Muggsy & Grant Hill played along with others. Definitely a dunk & 3 point contest and nobody get hurt.

Also did the Jordan Games one year at UNC-G. He & fellow pros would come to Greensboro & play a big pick up game as an exhibition while he was in town. His agent or attorney was in the Triad. Muggsy & Grant Hill played along with others. Definitely a dunk & 3 point contest and nobody get hurt.

Fred Whitfield. Met him by chance at a radio station when I was helping Andy Durham do some GGO, or whatever they called it back then, radio broadcasts. He'd been a guest before we started the golf stuff. He was a bigwig with the Wizards at the time. One thing he told me was how Press Maravich, Pete Maravich's dad and former Clemson and N.C. State head coach, counseled him to avoid entering the coaching profession. Told him he should go to Law School. It's worked out pretty well for Mr. Whitfield.

Took two of my boys to see Chill that year in Fayetteville. Got an autograph. Good times...

Last edited:
I went to one of these at the Reynolds High gym back in the early 90's. I think Chris King from Wake was there that year. I know Rick Fox was there from UNC. Chris Corchiani and Rodney Monroe from State were there that year.

Saw David Thompson, Monte Towe, Mo Rivers at my high school gym in little Laurinburg, NC in 1975. Amazing, Thompson finally allowed to dunk. Although I was a WFU fan even back then, NC State was my second team after that experience.

Back