• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Basketball Early Projection by Dan Hanner

I can't wait to see what the national and regional presses write about us come Fall. I'm literally more excited to see how much worse it can get, than by the team we'll put on the floor next year. As much as I want Devin and Codi to improve, Travis to end his career with a postseason appearance, and to watch this mythical post-grad lead us to our first NCAA Championship, I'm intrigued to see just how deep rock bottom truly is...

Between basketball and football, I'm not sure how Ron Wellman plans to stay employed through 2014.

This was posted in another thread by ogb&c. I thought I'd give it a little air...

http://basketball.realgm.com/article/227422/ACC-Basketball-Early-Projection

The comment about Wake in it's entirety...
"Wait, why is Jeff [Redacted] still the head coach? Senior Travis McKie deserves better."

Hanner has us tied for 11th place with Clemson & Ga Tech and a record of 6-12. The only teams he projects ending the season with records worse than ours is Miami at 14th (5-13) and VaTech at 15th (3-15). When you compare Wake opponents to his conference win/loss chart, it gets hard to find 6 wins. He has us tied with Clemson (who we play twice) and Ga Tech (who we play once at home). If we assume that we win both GT and Clemson at home, that's two wins. We only play Miami and VT each once and those games are on the road. (We lost by one to VT in Blacksburg last year.) But even if we win both of those, that only gives us a total of 4 wins.

So where do we get two more to get to a 6 win total?
1) We do play BC at home so there's that possibility. We split 3 point home and home games with BC last year but BC should be better so I don't think we beat them next year.
2) Could we do it on the road and sweep Clemson? I actually think that next year Buzz may double or even triple his ACC road win total at Wake. But I do not see him suddenly becoming a "road warrior".
3) Could there be more surprises at home like NCSU and Miami last year? Well besides BC, Clemson, and Ga Tech that we have already discussed; we have home games with Duke, Florida State, UNC, NCSU, Notre Dame, and Syracuse. Duke, UNC, and Syracuse have nothing to fear. Notre Dame is losing it's best defensive rebounder, but with Buzz's rep for rebounding ND is also safe. Florida State did not play that well last year but took Wake to the woodshed both times and Hanner thinks they will be better next year. That leaves NCSU and they do have some challenges next year to overcome. NCSU may be the most likely of the unlikely home win possibilities.

BuzzOUT! Till he's gone...
WellmanOUT! And the sooner the better...

Last edited:
Interesting read. Should be a fun ACC season with the new teams coming in. Don't agree with all of the guys projections but it's a good discussion starter.

We have become a national punch line, and an easy one at that. Thanks Ron, thanks Jeff.

I don't know if we're even relevant enough to be a punchline anymore. We might as well be Sloth from The Goonies.

Can't spin 11th as historically competitive. At least if that happens, [Redacted] will be fired for sure.

It is so, "I don't care anymore" funny that all I can do is laugh. I seriously do not know where we are going to find 6 wins. I'm thinking an historic level of losses.

someone should print this out and bold/highlight the Wake comment and tape it to Wellman's door.

Scorch & Burn or Crash & Burn, the results are the same...BUZZ/WELLMAN OUT!!!

It is so, "I don't care anymore" funny that all I can do is laugh. I seriously do not know where we are going to find 6 wins. I'm thinking an historic level of losses.

someone should print this out and bold/highlight the Wake comment and tape it to Wellman's door.

If that happens and we lose more than 24 games, I'd like to see the list of D-1 coaches who have ever set school records for losses in their first AND fourth years.

If a 6-12 conference record in his 4th season doesn't get [Redacted] fired then nothing will. Then we can know that rock bottom has arrived.

Back