• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC coaches considering out of conference games against ACC teams

The ACC shouldn't try to schedule so many games within each division. In fact, why not just get rid of divisions entirely and rotate schedules more equally across all conference teams? Is the only purpose of the coastal and atlantic divisions to choose the conference championship contenders? Why not just take the top two teams in the standings (with tiebreakers)?

Should do away with divisons and assign each team 3 permanent opponents, then divide the remaining teams in half and play home and away with them. With that model, every ACC team would play every other ACC team in two years

Edited to add an example:

Wake's permanent opponents are State, Duke, and UNC - play them every year, rotating home and away
Remaining conference games in Year 1 - Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, Virginia
Remaining conference games in Year 2 - Louisville, Pitt, Cuse, BC, Virginia Tech

Last edited:
Should do away with divisons and assign each team 3 permanent opponents, then divide the remaining teams in half and play home and away with them. With that model, every ACC team would play every other ACC team in two years

Edited to add an example:

Wake's permanent opponents are State, Duke, and UNC - play them every year, rotating home and away
Remaining conference games in Year 1 - Miami, FSU, GT, Clemson, Virginia
Remaining conference games in Year 2 - Louisville, Pitt, Cuse, BC, Virginia Tech

If that happens then I'll think that UNC's three rivals will be State, Duke and UVa.

If that happens then I'll think that UNC's three rivals will be State, Duke and UVa.

The perma-rivals would likely be a major obstacle to this ever happening. The person who I was discussing with this yesterday said NC State and Clemson should be perma-rivals because of their engineering, agro-business, etc. backgrounds.

The perma-rivals would likely be a major obstacle to this ever happening. The person who I was discussing with this yesterday said NC State and Clemson should be perma-rivals because of their engineering, agro-business, etc. backgrounds.

Possible perma-rivals for NC schools if they ever did away with divisions:

UNC: NCSU, Duke, UVA
Duke: UNC, WF, GT
NCSU: UNC, WF, Clemson
WF: NCSU, Duke, VT

Back