• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC coaching salaries

Wake must figure out how to develop a geographical can base. The Triad has enough transplants who have no serious loyalty to the schools in the Triangle to make that possible. I'm not sure what that will require but national publicity brought by winning and having recognised stars (like Surratt and Newman) will surely help. The SID must figure that out!

Wake must figure out how to develop a geographical can base. The Triad has enough transplants who have no serious loyalty to the schools in the Triangle to make that possible. I'm not sure what that will require but national publicity brought by winning and having recognised stars (like Surratt and Newman) will surely help. The SID must figure that out!

Wake is still one of those "transplants" in the minds of some. There are still people who remember Wake as "that little Baptist college near Raleigh." The number of people who do continues to shrink.

The conversion of Winston-Salem from a factory town to a college town is very recent and still sinking in to the residents of the triad. Reynolds, Hanes, Burlington etc. along with Wachovia Bank, were the identity of the city. Wake Forest College. And later University, was a bit player, not the lead.

Today, the mills and industry are gone. The banks are gone (or going) and Wake Forest University is the new 800 pound gorilla in town - the dominant employer and financial engine for the city. That is a very new order of things. People often continue to see and think of things as they were, not as they are.

Wake needs to continue and expand the advertising of Wake as "the Triad's team." The success of the football team this century has helped move this narrative forward. Unfortunately, for the last decade, basketball has not had enough success to carry the aura of football success into the Spring months.

Improving the fan experience, as has been noted elsewhere.

I would like to see something like a feature HS "band of the week" which invites a local HS band to play each and every week (at least when Wake isn't playing Friday night.) Make it a bigger deal. Give the chosen band a certificate or plaque. Do something like this in addition to the massed band day.

Invite the band and give everyone in the high school a ticket in a separate reserved section. If they enjoy themselves they might return.

Invite the band and give everyone in the high school a ticket in a separate reserved section. If they enjoy themselves they might return.

Maybe not a ticket for every student, but enough for the HS to have a good size bloc. Several hundred. Not thousands.

With the ACC TV money, we need live fans in the seats more than the gate revenue. We need to creatively give seats away or sell them dirt cheap to get people out and to help energize the atmosphere . Anyone remember all the Baptist church youth buses from all over NC that came to every home game in the 70s? That natural base has shifted away over time and events, but that is the type of marketing approach we need, at least for a part of our crowd building.

Empty seats are the single biggest indictment of Wake Forest athletics. The goal is to fill them.

If community relations can be strengthened by reaching out to schools and community organizations with free admission, do it. If lowered game day prices can fill seats, do it.

A full BB&T and a full Joel are the best advertisement of Wake Forest athletics. If community outreach can be added, the message by the media is enhanced. Goodwill is always a good message.

The goal is to fill their pockets. I doubt the powers that be are too worried about empty seats.

They should be. Our stadium looked pathetic against Louisville on tv. I know the students were out, but it looked rough on the home side in areas too.

Random related question. Why does Wake have Fall Break?

I think the sorry state of the MBB program has really impacted FB attendance. Excitement around MBB brings excitement to the whole athletic department. BB&T was pretty full during most decent home games during the 06-11 time period. This coincided with the MBB program doing pretty well also before we plunged in the the Era of Unwipped Ass and the Manning Era.

The Thursday and Friday night games hurt attendance since many alums and their family have to travel to games. I live about 3 hours away so the weeknight games are almost always a no go for me and my family. I know TV drives this but the noon games when it's hotter than hell hurt turnout. Nothing is much less enjoyable than a noon kick on the East side of the stadium.

This may not work but we need to boost our band numbers by reaching out to the area high schools. Take $100K and offer 100 HS student each $1K to be in the band for 6-7 home games. That would immediately get our number up to nearly 200 and the band wouldn't look so pitiful.

I would hope that Currie is just as concerned about attendance and is working on some ideas with his staff.

It will be very frustrating if another year goes by and nothing happens to address the FB turnout issue more creatively!

I think the sorry state of the MBB program has really impacted FB attendance. Excitement around MBB brings excitement to the whole athletic department. BB&T was pretty full during most decent home games during the 06-11 time period. This coincided with the MBB program doing pretty well also before we plunged in the the Era of Unwipped Ass and the Manning Era.

The Thursday and Friday night games hurt attendance since many alums and their family have to travel to games. I live about 3 hours away so the weeknight games are almost always a no go for me and my family. I know TV drives this but the noon games when it's hotter than hell hurt turnout. Nothing is much less enjoyable than a noon kick on the East side of the stadium.

This may not work but we need to boost our band numbers by reaching out to the area high schools. Take $100K and offer 100 HS student each $1K to be in the band for 6-7 home games. That would immediately get our number up to nearly 200 and the band wouldn't look so pitiful.

I would hope that Currie is just as concerned about attendance and is working on some ideas with his staff.

Well it certainly hasn't helped for sure....

Back