• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC COY

COY awards usually go to the coach whose teams exceed expectations the most. Based on that (VT was picked to win the conference this year), the voting will prolly be London, Swinney, Beamer and Grobe in that order. Most folks had UVA at 5-7 or so (I did). But I'd be tempted to vote for Beamer because they only have 1 loss with what I consider their worst D and ST in over a decade. I know they've had some injuries on their DL, but overall, the talent level on the entire D and the OL is nothing to write home about. That team would be awfully mediocre without Thomas, Wilson and the WRs.

So all the offensive skill players?

London has to be considered based on turn around in UVA. Beamer remains a great coach and is the clear best coach in this league.

Fixed. I hate COY awards at all levels. Might as well rename it to some combination of, or selection from among the following:

"Team that we, the media, underestimated the most"
"Team with the most favorable schedule in hindsight"
"Team that stayed the healthiest over the course of the season"
"Team that, even though they weren't the best or anything, just kinda seemed a lot better than we thought"
"Team that didn't win the league, conference, or division, but that we think should get something and we can't really give them anything else"

Good point. Also add "Team with the highest increase in wins from the year before" to the criteria.

Yup. Coach Grobe is the 2nd best, but there is a noticeable drop-off.

Some people aren't content with the 2nd best coach in the ACC though. I find that hard to believe.

Out of curiosity, what's your criteria? Calling Grobe 2nd best may be the most compelling heart-based position but what's the rational criteria? Can't just be longevity.

Bet Grobe wishes we'd played William and Mary (they have a football team?), Indiana (solid 1 win season, winless in-conference), and Idaho (oooh, 2 wins and it took UVA OT to beat them).

Nice year for UVA, but what a horrid schedule. GATech has been exposed since they beat them dropping 4 of 6. Flip those three cakewalks for Notre Dame, Vandy, and Syracuse and we go 9-3 this year but still 2nd in the division just like they are.

At least we gave Clemson a game for the ACC championship spot...

Out of curiosity, what's your criteria? Calling Grobe 2nd best may be the most compelling heart-based position but what's the rational criteria? Can't just be longevity.

I would say the following (in no particular order):

1. Longevity
2. Record
3. Historical context
4. Bowl Games attended over tenure
5. BCS bowls
6. ACC record
7. Record vs. rivals/in-state opps.

Anything else?

Back