• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Leads BCS Conferences in "Best Colleges" Rankings

LadyDeac03

Reaction score
Some ACC bragging rights

It's not often the ACC gets to boast a victory over its BCS opponents, so revel in this, ACC fans:

The ACC led the way among BCS conferences in the latest “Best Colleges” rankings released on Tuesday by US News & World Report. It's the sixth time in the past seven years that the ACC has led all BCS conferences.

It's important to remember things like this as expansion rumors run rampant. There is an academic standard that needs to be upheld when considering potential members, should it ever come to that.

The ACC is the only BCS conference to place seven schools among the top 38 in the rankings, and it was also the only BCS conference with over half of its members in the top 50. The ACC has also had a school finish in the top 10 every year since 2006 (one of only two BCS conferences that can make that claim).

Here's how your schools stacked up:

No. 10 Duke
No. 25 Virginia and Wake Forest
No. 29 North Carolina
No. 31 Boston College
No. 36 Georgia Tech
No. 38 Miami
No. 55 Maryland
No. 68 Clemson
No. 71 Virginia Tech
No. 101 Florida State and NC State

Really surprised to see Va Tech so low, expected it to be in the 50's. I always thought it was a pretty solid school.

Really surprised to see Va Tech so low, expected it to be in the 50's. I always thought it was a pretty solid school.
You're not from Virginia are you?

Not at all saying Tech is a bad school (I have tons of friends, and family, that went there). But I am not at all shocked at its ranking.

Duke's tobacco barons had more money than our tobacco barons.

They were merchants, bro, not tobacco barons. Plus our tobacco barons didn't roll up until RJR in 1950 or so, right? Before then, our alumni were lowly farmers.

They're all in the Top 101 colleges and universities in the country. They're all good schools. Some are just better than others.

They're all in the Top 101 colleges and universities in the country. They're all good schools. Some are just better than others.

Yeah, the entire conference is in probably the top 1/4 to 1/3 of all major universities in the country. That's pretty good.

.......why would umd be ahead of va tech?

VT: Mid-50% SAT 1160–1340

MD: Mid-50% SAT 1250 to 1400

I mean I don't know too much about VT or MD specifically, but I always thought VT students were there for engineering or couldn't get into UVA/other VA schools. I could be way off though. Virginia residents just seem to have way better options (UVA, W&M, W&L, Richmond, etc...) than Maryland residents who want to stay in-state (Hopkins?).

VT: Mid-50% SAT 1160–1340

MD: Mid-50% SAT 1250 to 1400

I mean I don't know too much about VT or MD specifically, but I always thought VT students were there for engineering or couldn't get into UVA/other VA schools. I could be way off though. Virginia residents just seem to have way better options (UVA, W&M, W&L, Richmond, etc...) than Maryland residents who want to stay in-state (Hopkins?).

W&L and Richmond aren't state schools.

Back