• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Men's Golf Championship

This is certainly a valid opinion. Obviously winning your region in basketball (getting to the Final 4) is more impressive than winning your conference tournament.

However, I view the regionals in golf as a qualifier. Perhaps it is due to the fact that I've played in so many qualifiers over the years (junior, HS, amateur, etc). I would much rather win the NC Amateur championship than win a regional US Am qualifier. Certainly this isn't the same, but it's the analogy I keep coming back to.

My opinion on that is based entirely on the depth of the field and the "play well or go home" factor.

To use your analogy, I see it more like winning your club championship vs winning a USGA qualifier. And for the record, I'd take the USGA qualifier in that scenario every time because it means I beat a better field in a much more high pressure situation.

My opinion on that is based entirely on the depth of the field and the "play well or go home" factor.

To use your analogy, I see it more like winning your club championship vs winning a USGA qualifier. And for the record, I'd take the USGA qualifier in that scenario every time because it means I beat a better field in a much more high pressure situation.

I think is a better way to look at it. Winning regionals is big in my mind because you beat a much deeper field looking to get into the NCAA tournament.

Now this I compltely disagree with. You really think the ACC Championship means that little compared to NCAA regionals, especially given the strenth of ACC golf over the years? Also, keep in mind that for some of those regionals, we were one of the top 2, maybe 3 teams in our region. I don't know how much those guys were thinking about not even making the Championship. I still think the State Amateur vs. U.S. Amateur qualifier is a far better analogy.

I certainly doubt that Webb, Bill, etc view their team accomplishments as a success based on the fact that they won the regionals. Would winning a couple ACC Titles have made it more successful? Maybe, maybe not. Methinks it would.

Now this I compltely disagree with. You really think the ACC Championship means that little compared to NCAA regionals, especially given the strenth of ACC golf over the years? Also, keep in mind that for some of those regionals, we were one of the top 2, maybe 3 teams in our region. I don't know how much those guys were thinking about not even making the Championship. I still think the State Amateur vs. U.S. Amateur qualifier is a far better analogy.

I certainly doubt that Webb, Bill, etc view their team accomplishments as a success based on the fact that they won the regionals. Would winning a couple ACC Titles have made it more successful? Maybe, maybe not. Methinks it would.

Would you want them to win the ACC Championship and then suck in the Regional and not qualify for the NCAA finals? I'd see that as just as much as a failure as winning the regionals and then not competing in the Finals.

Either way when the guys are as good as ACC golfers are it's a crap shoot to win the tourney because so many of the guys can go low at any time. The futility that WF has shown at ACC tourney is just plain bad luck, there is no other way to look at it. Maybe Haas should be recruiting kids with a different mental makeup where they get up for the bigger tourneys more but that is much easier said than done. As an active High School/Amature golfer there is only so much a coach can do to get you to play well.

2000 - 2001: Finished 3rd at ACC's, 10th at NCAA's
2001 - 2002: 4th in ACC's, flamed out in regionals.
2002 - 2003: 2nd in ACC's (lost to eventual national champ Clemson by a stroke), 4th in NCAA's
2003 - 2004: 2nd in ACC's, can't find NCAA results...don't think we qualified as a team but Haas finished 2nd overall.
2004 - 2005: 6th in ACC's, Won Regional, 16th in NCAA's
2005 - 2006: 5th in ACC's, Won Regional, 3rd in NCAA's
2006 - 2007: 8th in ACC's, 26th in NCAA's
2007 - 2008: 5th in ACC's, Won Regional, Missed Final Round Cut in NCAA's
2008 - 2009: 4th in ACC's, 27th at NCAA's
2009 - 2010: 3rd in ACC's, Didn't qualify for NCAA's

Other than no ACC wins, looks solid to me when you factor in the recruiting disadvantages we are up against.

So other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

In an ideal world our golf team would win ACC Tournaments, Regionals, and Championships. However, it is not an ideal world. If we won 3 ACC Championships and failed to make it out of regionals for 10 straight years then we would be bitching too.

And if you want to talk about severely underperforming, I will submit Georgia Tech to you. They have never won the NCAA title despite having Rymer, Cink, Duval (all there together), Molder, Kuchar, Mattison, Tringale and a ton of other AJGA/NCAA All-Americans.

GT golf and GT baseball are two of the most under-performing NCAA programs of all times in terms of NCAA success. It's nearly impossible to imagine how neither program has ever won an NCAA Title with the ridiculous piles of talent they've pretty much always had.

Back