• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC NCAA Tournament Bids (NWT... kinda)

Miami has no top 100 OOC wins. They are going to have to do great in the ACC to get a bid.

This is really looking like a 3 or 4 bid year.

Wake has a better resume than Clemson right now. They have NO shot.

Miami also just got experienced player Daquan Jones back. They should be able to make a run in conference with their personnel.

According to real-time RPI, the ACC is #2 in RPI, and 6 teams have an RPI of 52 or better (Duke #2, UNC #13, UVA #32, FSU #47, VT#48 and State #52). Remember 68 teams make the tournament now; so, that leaves almost 40 at large bids (and many of the automatic invites will go to teams in the top 40; so any team with an RPI of 50 or higher has a really good shot at bid).

Agree that the ACC has some bad losses, but every conference does. I would put the ACC over/under for teams in the NCAAs at 5. With 4 or 6 equally likely.

Hate to say it, but Dad has lost it if he thinks WF is getting an NCAA bid this season.

It will be interesting to see if their RPI drops a little or stays about the same after conference play. I don't know the RPI for Wake, Maryland, Clemson, or BC but it can't be good

Locks:
Carolina
Duke

Likely In:
Virginia
Florida St

Bubblicious:
Virginia Tech

Fringe Possibilities:
State
Georgia Tech
Miami
Clemson

No Shot:
Maryland
Wake Forest
Boston College

LOL. You sure believe in Wake Forest, don't you...

That said, Georgia Tech and Clemson are fringe possibilities to make the NIT, let alone the NCAA.

Yea I posted that before GaTech lost at home to Mercer, and Clemson lost to Southern Illinois and Hawaii. I would feel comfortable moving Clemson into the "No Shot" category now. I hesitate to close the door on GT because of their schedule. Has anyone else looked at their conference schedule? Check this out...

Top 5 teams in the conference (# of times GT plays them):
1. Carolina (1)
2. Duke (1)
3. Virginia (1)
4. Florida St (1)
5. Virginia Tech (1)

Bottom 4 teams in the conference (# of times GT plays them):
9. Clemson (2)
10. Maryland (2)
11. Wake Forest (2)
12. Boston College (2)

It's really incredible- they have essentially the easiest schedule they could possibly have. As bad as they are, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they go 10-6 or something in conference play, which would give the committee an interesting case.

Three or maybe four at most. Of course Carolina and Duke and most probably Virginia. After that it is hard to tell if we have any other good teams. Florida State seems to be able to play great defense but can not score, Virginia Tech, who knows. North Carolina State is a possibility. Clemson, Wake, Boston College and Georgia Tech have no real chance. Maryland and Miami are real unknowns. The ACC is really down

Yea I posted that before GaTech lost at home to Mercer, and Clemson lost to Southern Illinois and Hawaii. I would feel comfortable moving Clemson into the "No Shot" category now. I hesitate to close the door on GT because of their schedule. Has anyone else looked at their conference schedule? Check this out...

Top 5 teams in the conference (# of times GT plays them):
1. Carolina (1)
2. Duke (1)
3. Virginia (1)
4. Florida St (1)
5. Virginia Tech (1)

Bottom 4 teams in the conference (# of times GT plays them):
9. Clemson (2)
10. Maryland (2)
11. Wake Forest (2)
12. Boston College (2)

It's really incredible- they have essentially the easiest schedule they could possibly have. As bad as they are, it's not out of the realm of possibility that they go 10-6 or something in conference play, which would give the committee an interesting case.

Yea it is, because they suck.

Who was it that didn't make the tourney at 10-6 a few years ago?

If Tech goes 10-6 against that schedule without at least 2 wins against those 5 teams at the top (assuming those are even NCAAT teams), Tech would need to get to at least get to Saturday likely with another win over one of those teams to get considered. Those 4 teams are going to be RPI killers.

Thanks. Of course. I could have just asked, "Who was it that didn't make the tourney?" and gotten the right answer.

Do you think Wake has a shot, because I don't see any way in hell Wake makes the tournament.

I don't see any way in hell, either, but I don't see any way in hell Clemson and Georgia Tech are any better equipped (or better) than we are this year...

'Twas a sarcastic aside, anyway. Lighten up.

Back