• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Officiating Just Got Worse

tagsfan

Reaction score
Mike Eades, one of the league's best, has taken over as coordinator of officials for the SEC and a few other conferences. Mike has worked several Final Fours and has avoided the spotlight, unlike some of his colleagues (talking about you, TV Teddy). He will be missed.

Whew! I thought you were telling us that Lenny Wertz was back.

Will miss Mike. Calming presence out there. A lot like Bryan Kersey who is also sorely missed. Can’t blame the guys for taking the better paying easier jobs.

Will miss Mike. Calming presence out there. A lot like Bryan Kersey who is also sorely missed. Can’t blame the guys for taking the better paying easier jobs.

I'm sure Mike logged a lot of windshield time. Also, conference expansion meant more time spent waiting in airports. From his home, he could easily drive to 6 schools but the remainder likely weren't direct flights from the closest major airport (Roanoke) with the exception of GT.

Mike Eades was a ref who was professional, proficient and fair. He didn't make the game about him.

If a buddy asked you about a game the day after and asked about the officiating and you didn't remember anything remarkable, many times "Mike Eades" name would be found in the box score.

Let us hope that some of the young officials coming in will emulate his style and demeanor.

Hard to say "easier" but well paying and a lot less stress on the body as they get older. Plus these type jobs just don't come around very often so even if you have to come off the court in your prime when game fees are approaching $4000 per game, this type job was worth it for both Kersey & Eades. They both work consortiums now with multi-conferences and they all work together so they keep the travel of these guys to a minimum. That way they can stay up in the same area for a few days while working 3-4 games for a couple of big conferences and hardly have to travel.

I'm just glad that this thread isn't about a return to ACC officiating by Karl Hess.

Watched the UNC/Maryland game yesterday from 1984. Lenny Wirtz, Dick Paparo were 2 of the refs, couldn't name the third.

Just got a text from our favorite lower case letter. Third official at the 1984 Unc/Maryland game was Tom Fraim.

thought Jamie Luckie might getting a larger role

Bill Covington Jr is stepping up to a very large role. You are seeing a lot of Jerry Heater, Raymie Styons, Burt Smith, Ron Groover, A.J. Desai, Mark Schnur, Brian Dorsey [who has been around for a while], Roger Ayers has been to several Final Fours. You will probably see some of the young sons come thru the pipeline down the road--Eades, Luckie, Styons & Nestor all are in the Big South right now being groomed plus a young gun by the name of J.W. Lucas.

Bill Covington Jr is stepping up to a very large role. You are seeing a lot of Jerry Heater, Raymie Styons, Burt Smith, Ron Groover, A.J. Desai, Mark Schnur, Brian Dorsey [who has been around for a while], Roger Ayers has been to several Final Fours. You will probably see some of the young sons come thru the pipeline down the road--Eades, Luckie, Styons & Nestor all are in the Big South right now being groomed plus a young gun by the name of J.W. Lucas.

I don't know why this gives me the image that the grooming is being done by coach k and the young refs are a bunch of at risk teenagers. It's like an episode of SVU.

I don't know why this gives me the image that the grooming is being done by coach k and the young refs are a bunch of at risk teenagers. It's like an episode of SVU.

By the time these young guns get in the league doing conference games you will have an entirely new crop of coaches who have replaced Coach K, Roy, Hamilton, Larranaga & Boeheim. That is the nice thing about the "consortium" concept. A guy like Kersey supervises something like 4 or 5 leagues himself and then works with the guy up north who also does 4 or 5 leagues. So they can bring in the young rising stars they see at their summer camps or happen to find by word of mouth or see at other games and they start them in their lower leagues like the Big South, Ivy or America East. As they get better they progress up to games in the Colonial for instance and then maybe some ACC non-con games.

To take it a step further, the lady that got the ACC job last year, Debbie Williamson happens to have I believe 9 leagues going up & down the East Coast. So she can really work officials up and down the ladder of success until they get to the top rated conference in women's basketball--which is the ACC.

Lol at referring to refs as "young guns"...

Back