• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Presidents meet with Notre Dame

WakeForestRanger

Reaction score
We really are becoming the Big East... First BC, Miami, VT, 'Cuse, and Pitt. Now, ND.

This would be great news for ACC basketball.

I believe the rumor was that they met at Wake. Seems like someone on here would know if it actually happened.

Rumor is ND might be trying to negotiate joining ACC in olympic sports immediately with football joining at set period in future. Other possibility is just a plain old olympic sport invite. If the latter is the case the ACC is arranging its own funeral for short term gain.

Rumor is ND might be trying to negotiate joining ACC in olympic sports immediately with football joining at set period in future. Other possibility is just a plain old olympic sport invite. If the latter is the case the ACC is arranging its own funeral for short term gain.

The phased-in option is interesting. I would hope that there would be a very hefty penalty should they not follow through.

Agree entirely that Olympic sports only should not be an option.

Feel the same as you guys. 100% or not at all. If they only want Olympic sports, let em head into the Big 12 and destroy that conference.

I thought Swofford was an all or nothing guy, too.

I would imagine that adding an independent to the conference would be a bit more difficult than adding a member from another conference.

A member of a different conference can just drop their regularly scheduled conference games in future seasons and replace them with their new conference games without affecting any of their non-conference schedule.

ND probably has too many games under contract in the next few seasons to play a full conference slate. Thus, the phase in option may be out of necessity.

A phase in option would probably be acceptable.

As long as the end result is ND as a full member.

A phase in option would probably be acceptable.

As long as the end result is ND as a full member.

This. I'm sure ND would structure a deal to maximize their revenue. I could see a scenario where they aren't a full on member until 2020.

I still personally think the best ACC would be on with both West Virginia and Notre Dame. I think you can "demand" certain academic markers from West Virginia and they could hit those markers. UConn or Rutgers would be a mistake IMO as much as get the TV market thing. But as discussed a lot, NYC is not a college sports town and Syracuse gets that market anyway. West Virginia simply offers too many potential long-term rivalries in both football and basketball to turn your back on.

1. Notre Dame
2. Tennessee
3. Penn State*
4. Kentucky

I love the ACC, but no chance in hell we pull a school out of the Big 10 or SEC. We missed out on West Virginia to boost our Football rep, but inorder to remain in the inevitable 16 team Super Conference BCS league, I definitely see us picking up Rutgers, UConn, and maybe a directional Florida school in the future.

I would imagine that adding an independent to the conference would be a bit more difficult than adding a member from another conference.

A member of a different conference can just drop their regularly scheduled conference games in future seasons and replace them with their new conference games without affecting any of their non-conference schedule.

ND probably has too many games under contract in the next few seasons to play a full conference slate. Thus, the phase in option may be out of necessity.

this is a really good point.

i think as long as there is a solid drop dead date that would result in a large payout to the acc and an immediate removal from the conference schedules for all other sports, phasing them in for football would be acceptable.

Clearly, if Notre Dame joins the ACC, then the possibilities for the 16th member have been greatly expanded.

Magnolia League might have nervous breakdown but we could all throw some money in for his treatment.

How about Notre Dame is given a tie in to the Orange Bowl and in return, the ACC gets a certain number of football games per year against ND.

How about Notre Dame is given a tie in to the Orange Bowl and in return, the ACC gets a certain number of football games per year against ND.

That would be a horrible deal.

Back