• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC proposes change to redshirt rule

That looks like a good idea.

In summary, players could still play 4 seasons in 5 years, but could play up to 4 games in a season without burning their redshirt.
ie. a player gets hurt after a few games early in the season still a redshirt
a player could play the last 4 games of a season and still keep the redshirt

Overall, I think this is a good idea

We could insert as needed. More DLs vs Army, more DBs vs a bombs away passing team.

Based on what y'all have said, redshirted freshman who develop well could theoretically make the starting lineup at the end of the season without burning their shirt.

Will read the article now...

Ha, the article confirms exactly the point I make above. This would probably help wake a lot more than other schools because we tend to have significantly less depth than others, and we have long-participated in an extensive freshman redshirting program.

While they talked about bringing a kid in for depth at the end of the year, it seems they are saying any 4 games is an option. So, you could play them for 4 select games that you feel you need them and not against other teams where it doesn't seem they are needed, and still keep the year of eligibility. Granted, kids that might make that difference as freshman might be more likely to leave earlier anyway. But, you can give that kid a chance to see if he is ready for game action. If he is not prepared, keep the redshirt and let him mature for next year.
This would be a significant change.

A lot more kids at the big schools will be using their scholarships for 5 years. That spreads the talent out as well.

This is a huge development and I think Clawson could get the most out of it. Hell, we could have played Hinton instead of Kearns in the bowl game last year.

I think I like it but I would like the 4 games to be all in a row. Certainly there is a way to manipulate the system like having a RB play games 1,4,7, 10. Then another one play 2, 5, 8, 11. A third play 3,6,9, 12. You could essentially have 3 really good RB's fresh all year long.

I think this is a good rule for Wake. Another rule I’d like to see considered is to allows a redshirt year and a medical redshirt year if the injury was early enough, regardless as to whether the first redshirt was the result of an injury. Given the rigors of football, a redshirt development year makes sense. If the kid gets hurt early in the season for a year, I think he should be allowed to take one more redshirt.

Plenty of students who work take 6 years to graduate anyway.

I think this is a good rule for Wake. Another rule I’d like to see considered is to allows a redshirt year and a medical redshirt year if the injury was early enough, regardless as to whether the first redshirt was the result of an injury. Given the rigors of football, a redshirt development year makes sense. If the kid gets hurt early in the season for a year, I think he should be allowed to take one more redshirt.

Isn't that already the rule?? There is definitely a 6th year waiver, but not sure how it works.

Isn't that already the rule?? There is definitely a 6th year waiver, but not sure how it works.

I could be mistaken, but to get a sixth year, you generally need to establish that you missed BOTH years because of injury. If your coach just held you out because you were scrawny and not ready to play, you will not get a 6th year.

I'd actually prefer it were 3 games. 4 is 1/3 of a season- that seems too significant to not count against eligibility. Or 4 only if it's the first 4 games of the season...

^ Agree that I like 3 better than 4. And I also think that any playing time in a bowl game shouldn't count against eligibility, so 3+ the bowl game would be perfect IMO.

Back