• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Realignment Article: Will Wake get left out of Big 4?

Wouldn't have to put up with this step-child treatment if you'd just take my advice.

Contact your AD and higher ups, switch with APP St. and all will be good. You guys will be winners!

We should consider ourselves lucky the ACC didnt implode. Everything else is icing on the cake

DeacdeTejas said:
We should consider ourselves lucky the ACC didnt implode. Everything else is icing on the cake

This. If the ACC flopped, we would be Baylor left out in the cold. Wellman realized that and fixed it.

There was never any danger in the ACC imploding. The core of the North Carolina schools plus UVa pretty much guaranteed that the conference would come out of this more or less intact.

There was never any danger in the ACC imploding. The core of the North Carolina schools plus UVa pretty much guaranteed that the conference would come out of this more or less intact.

There was zero guarantee that Wake Forest was going to be safe in a non-ACC world.

There was zero chance there was going to be a non-ACC world.

For them. If our conference had been twice raided by SEC like the ACC has been raiding the Big East, I have no doubt that UNC, Duke, NCSU, and UVA would be fine, in some fashion. But there's no guarantee that their new plans would've involved us. We bring nothing to the table when discussing added value to a reformed conference, other than academic reputation and reasonably competitive teams. You want to hedge our future on UNC promising to take care of us because we've played together for so long? I didn't and don't. That's why we had to okay expansion even if we didn't directly benefit from it.

New plans? There would have still been an ACC even if FSU, VT and whoever jumped to the SEC or if Maryland jumped to the Big Ten. There's no reason to believe that the other ACC schools would have kicked us out at that point and little reason to believe the remaining schools would have left behind the valuable brand name of the ACC to form a new conference or join the hodge podge coalition that is the Big East.

The danger to Wake in this whole expansion mess has been seriously overblown by this board. At no point in this whole process were we beggars.

Wellman has been so influential in bringing these new teams in (from what we've heard) that I would guess he should be able to use some of his built-up capital to make sure we don't get stuck in a division by ourselves.

This sounds like just more Athletic Dept. BS ("I heard from an insider that Ron was the guy who put this whole deal together..."). Syracuse and Pitt desperately wanted into the ACC and John Swofford did not need RW or anyone else to persuade them to come. Syracuse was Swofford's original preference in 2003 (and had agreed) until Va Tech elbowed its way in.

I don't honestly care about continuing to play State or Duke in football. The NC schools have a bad football product. UNC we've already lost and they suck at football anyway. So any changes will be minimally worse or improvements. Holding onto State as our rival into the future is just as out of touch with our student body as naming a building the Barn.

In predicting what will actually happen one thing to remember is the world is run by old rich white men, so their decisions will be more influenced by history than the internet understands, with the only trump being TV ala Duke-MD contrivances.

Last edited:
I don't get it.... We already don't play UNC in football every year and nobody cares about Duke in football. Divisions only matter in football right?

We're already on a stupid 3 year rotating schedule for hoops... so what extra complication does this really add? We'll keep our home and homes with the other 3 NC schools and we can rotate with everybody else. I bet they don't do divisions (or do them for football only) and we'll keep our Big 4 hoops schedule.

Last edited:
We only have home and home's with NCSU.

New plans? There would have still been an ACC even if FSU, VT and whoever jumped to the SEC or if Maryland jumped to the Big Ten. There's no reason to believe that the other ACC schools would have kicked us out at that point and little reason to believe the remaining schools would have left behind the valuable brand name of the ACC to form a new conference or join the hodge podge coalition that is the Big East.

The danger to Wake in this whole expansion mess has been seriously overblown by this board. At no point in this whole process were we beggars.

We are non factors, which is just a slight step up.

Non-factors with a vote that helps decide who will become a member of one of the BCS leagues that's guaranteed to survive.

I want two seven team divisions that are the same for football and basketball. Basketball would have 19 games in conference. H&H within division and once against everyone in the other division. No permanent rivals.

So we hang our 'relevance' on hoops and football, so NSCU is relevant because?

Back