• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Sports Journal chimes in on our plight...

thedeacfan

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
I thought that this deserved it's own thread. It's a pretty good analysis of the current state of affairs although I'd really like to know where they got some of their information. Credit for the find goes to WFUtoUSC.

http://www.accsports.com/teams/wake...ellman-has-his-reasons-to-back-[Redacted].php

WINSTON-SALEM – When your fanbase has reached the point where it can’t decide whether it’s cheering for or against your program, your problems are as serious as they can get.
As year three of the Jeff [Redacted] experiment at Wake Forest closes, that’s where athletic director Ron Wellman finds himself.

I read an article last night about Colorado's athletic director being on the hot seat. The article listed a series of greivances against him. Hiring Jeff [Redacted] was second only to the hiring of Dan Hawkins on the list.

Edited to add: http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...college-football-hot-seats-athletic-directors

Football isn't the only sport in which Bohn botched a hire. He fired basketball coach Ricardo Patton after an admittedly dreadful 7-20 season and replaced him with former Denver Nuggets and Air Force coach Jeff [Redacted]. It seemed like a good fit, but the program went into the tank under [Redacted], finishing last in the Big 12 in two of his three seasons in Boulder.

Getting ADs fired three years after you get hired away (not fired, hired away!). Jeff [Redacted] ladies and gentlemen.

Last edited:
Quote: "That brings the president, the Board of Trustees and other campus figures into the discussion, when they usually would let Wellman run his own ship. So far, the athletic situation has not significantly clipped fundraising (it’s up overall and up for athletics, even)."

Really hard to believe that statement. WFU being a private institution can "cook the books" in any manner to suit their needs...Shame there is not a SEC (Sec. Exchange Comm.) to provide oversight...

If Wellman was a CEO of a public corporation, he would have already been fired for the INABILITY TO DELIVER A MARKETABLE PRODUCT!!! Go figure...

I will go further to say that Wellman is unable and incapable of SURVIVING in the private sector!!!

"Football isn't the only sport in which Bohn botched a hire. He fired basketball coach Ricardo Patton after an admittedly dreadful 7-20 season and replaced him with former Denver Nuggets and Air Force coach Jeff [Redacted]. It seemed like a good fit, but the program went into the tank under [Redacted], finishing last in the Big 12 in two of his three seasons in Boulder."

Did he then go on to mock Ron Wellman for hiring him? He should have.

Sweet move, RON.

Cannot agree with that part of article that says we will have a good team in 2014. I thought I was the only one who did not see a lot of ACC talent in the freshman class until I heard the tail-end of David Glenn's(radio sports show) comment comparing
someone or some team to our team's lack of talent. Did anyone hear the David Glenn show to elaborate what he was talking about re Wake forest's lack of talent?

You guys are never going to believe this, but the other board took a thread about Dino's appearance on 610 am radio yesterday and made it about Dino's lack of culture.

We are losing close to half of our current offense over the next two years. Will we be better without CJ and Travis moving forward?

It's dangerous to just assume these players will be better as sophomores. Who can you say about under Bz?

Will Mitchell make an immediate at PG?

Could someone who is registered leave the comment that this is and always has been BS:

• Wellman asked [Redacted] to rebuild the character of the program, at whatever cost. Clearly, [Redacted] has brought players to Wake Forest who are quality individuals. The fact that most of those players are freshmen allows Wellman to use that as an excuse and to point out that they’ll obviously get better with age.

Wellman only trotted the "Culture" BS out after it was apparent that we weren't going to win any games. When asked point blank about why the coaching change, he said winning in Feb/march....and nothing about culture.

How can one read that article and think that Wellman or Bzz should stay? Wellman should resign yesterday. I am forwarding this email to the board of Trustees and the Deacon Club. What has happened the last three years in both programs is a disgrace. Especially when you consider the amount of resources they have been given.

Could someone who is registered leave the comment that this is and always has been BS:

• Wellman asked [Redacted] to rebuild the character of the program, at whatever cost. Clearly, [Redacted] has brought players to Wake Forest who are quality individuals. The fact that most of those players are freshmen allows Wellman to use that as an excuse and to point out that they’ll obviously get better with age.

Wellman only trotted the "Culture" BS out after it was apparent that we weren't going to win any games. When asked point blank about why the coaching change, he said winning in Feb/march....and nothing about culture.

Wellman's handling of the change from Dino has been a PR disaster from Day 1. But is it really so hard to consider that the reason the culture excuse wasn't brought to the forefront at the outset was b/c he was trying to cover up for the Wake Forest name, for Skip's legacy, and even for Dino?

Whether Wellman was right or wrong in doing so, I think that's a more than logical explanation for his publicly stated rationale for firing Dino. Thus I think it's a bit counterproductive and naive to use that statement as the end-all-be-all threshold for the Dino firing and [Redacted] hiring comparison. Everyone knows what he said. But Bzz-in folk think it was always about culture deep down. It was about winning in Feb/March down the road with the proper culture rather than being high profile and making only the first or second rounds in Feb or March with the wrong kind of culture.

Dino needed to go. Wellman may've been trying to save face for everyone in citing the Feb/March reason. But was [Redacted] the right hire? I agree that it sure as hell doesn't seem that way.

Wellman made the right fire when he canned Dino, actually a year too late.

Then he screwed it up royally with the wrong hire.

Wellman made the right fire when he canned Dino, actually a year too late.

Then he screwed it up royally with the wrong hire.

Two wrongs (timing of Dino dismissal) And hiring Buzz, Does Not Make a Right!

Dino should have been named interim and then we start over with a new coach and highly touted recruits.

Nothing crazy. Happens all the time and what many of us thought should happen. Ron missed an opportunity to significantly upgrade our coaching situation.

Back