• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Sports Journal: Ron Wellman’s Risky Call

No doubt that Wellman’s earned that. For most of his 22 years at Wake Forest, he’s been one of the nation’s most respected athletic directors, earning praise from his coaches, his peers and even opposing fans. Wellman has taken Wake Forest to sports heights that are almost unimaginable for a school of its size (third-smallest undergraduate enrollment among the FBS schools) and academic reputation.

I thought this was proven to be a myth in another thread

Total myth. Dismantled basketball on his own by getting rid of Dave Odom and his 2 ACC titles. Totally dismantled baseball by firing George Greer after 1 losing season after a run of 600 wins and 3 ACC titles. Both because he & his huge ego wanted to hire his own coaches & not keep winners.
We see where baseball has gone with his own hires. The man has driven our athletic program into the ground and only his own retirement after his NCAA bball chairmenship ends in 2014 can save us from this abyss.

Bob Staak was the only coach even comparable to Buzz and even Staak had a .395 winning percentage. We also got rid of him after 3 years. Buzz is no doubt the worst coach in D1 today. What is sad is that he was not in the top 200 at the time czar Wellman decided he was THE answer to our inability to get past the first round of the NCAA tourney and ACC tourney. Hell now we would have a hard time getting past the first round of the big south tourney. The way I see it Wellman thought Rusty ws the long term answer and looked to his friend Buzz to "fill the gap" until Rusty was ready. Well rusty is not ready and is only hurting his career by hanging around our loosing program.

Staak was here for 4 years, trust me on this one.

Total myth. Dismantled basketball on his own by getting rid of Dave Odom and his 2 ACC titles. Totally dismantled baseball by firing George Greer after 1 losing season after a run of 600 wins and 3 ACC titles. Both because he & his huge ego wanted to hire his own coaches & not keep winners.
We see where baseball has gone with his own hires. The man has driven our athletic program into the ground and only his own retirement after his NCAA bball chairmenship ends in 2014 can save us from this abyss.

Do you have this post saved for quick copy paste. I would hate to think that you have typed it out every time you have posted it.

Do you have this post saved for quick copy paste. I would hate to think that you have typed it out every time you have posted it.

The truth bears repeating. At least as long as RW holds our basketball program hostage.

It's not really true at all. The Reff's bizarre insistance that getting rid of Odom and Greer ruined these programs is just nonsense, regardless of how many times he repeats it. Just one of the many things he is wrong about.

Yep. Those programs were going downhill under Odom and Greer. Wellman just didn't replace them with championship level coaches.

Have you? What did they tell you?

Not directly but knew several people around Tabb's year at other high schools in the area. Most of what I heard indicated that he would need strong guidance to fit in academically at Wake. He also got up to shenanigans pretty typical of high school basketball stars. Like I said no red flags but could have used a strong leader as a coach (a la Skip) instead of what he got.

Yep. Those programs were going downhill under Odom and Greer. Wellman just didn't replace them with championship level coaches.

I think Skip Prosser was a fantastic hire.

Well, who was the drunk coach that got fired in mid-season. Of course maybe he won more games.

He's no longer coaching college basketball and I have been very clear on my stance on O'Neill. Next?

Back