• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC to try 30-second shot clock, join modern basketball era

bigdoublezero

Reaction score
Would expect the NCAA to adopt a 30 second clock within the next year or two. It won't make much of a difference except at the end of games.

I assume they'll be keeping the 10 second rule unlike what the women do with a 30 second shot clock. Is this correct?

I assume they'll be keeping the 10 second rule unlike what the women do with a 30 second shot clock. Is this correct?

It appears this is the only rule change they are trying out when it comes to the shot clock/game clock but this is pretty fresh news.

It would be interesting if they changed the 10 second rule to 7 second rule, or whatever it took to make pressing a much more popular strategy. I was excited when the NBA changed it to 8 seconds. But NBA players are too skilled (and I guess the game and season are too long) so nobody tries to press.

It would be interesting if they changed the 10 second rule to 7 second rule, or whatever it took to make pressing a much more popular strategy. I was excited when the NBA changed it to 8 seconds. But NBA players are too skilled (and I guess the game and season are too long) so nobody tries to press.

You're basically begging to set up a 5-on-4 or 5-on-3 break after made baskets doing that in the NBA.

Sorry to have to tell you this....but you're out of luck. The NBA has totally ruined college basketball forever. It's not coming back. It's over. You may as well accept that fact and move on to something else in your life. And if Wake Forest is going to stay in the ACC in today's world of mega-buck college sports....where it has no hope of competing on any kind of regular basis....you will just save yourself a lot of pain & anguish if you just forget about it. It's not that bad, once you get used to it. Believe me. I don't even miss it anymore.

(I'm just waiting for them to make the official announcement that dribbling is now optional. After all, it slows the game down. You can run down the court much quicker if you carry the ball all the way, rather than having to dribble it. And since you can already take 3 or 4 steps without dribbling when driving to the basket, why not just eliminate the dribbling requirement alltogether?)

I have to admit, when I first read this I thought it was a bkf parody. It is even over the top for the real bkf.

Sorry to have to tell you this....but you're out of luck. The NBA has totally ruined college basketball forever. It's not coming back. It's over. You may as well accept that fact and move on to something else in your life. And if Wake Forest is going to stay in the ACC in today's world of mega-buck college sports....where it has no hope of competing on any kind of regular basis....you will just save yourself a lot of pain & anguish if you just forget about it. It's not that bad, once you get used to it. Believe me. I don't even miss it anymore.

(I'm just waiting for them to make the official announcement that dribbling is now optional. After all, it slows the game down. You can run down the court much quicker if you carry the ball all the way, rather than having to dribble it. And since you can already take 3 or 4 steps without dribbling when driving to the basket, why not just eliminate the dribbling requirement alltogether?)
:bowrofl::bowrofl::bowrofl:

The shot clock is one of the best things that's ever happened to the sport of basketball. The NCAA should move to 30 seconds immediately and force teams to adjust.

I know I'm in the minority - but I hate the shot clock and wish it would go away.

Lol god. What does this have to do with Wake "staying in the ACC" anyways? Wake has two of the top players in the NBA, so how can you possibly argue that Wake can't compete with an NBA style?

This is just old white guys being old white guys. Literally the definition.

I like the college shot clock where it is. The NBA is boring. I totally agree on the lack of traveling and palming calls. The "Euro" step or two is just annoying. It's closer to professional wrestling than basketball. Yes, the NBA guys are incredibly skilled--maybe too good, but who cares. It's getting harder to recognize the game as basketball. I would rather watch golf--maybe switch back to watch the last 3-4 minutes of an NBA game.

Pressing might become more popular anyway (in college). Even if it's not designed to force turnovers necessarily, if your press makes your opponent start their half court offense with 20 sec on the shot clock, that's pretty disruptive to your opponent.

In the same way that "Styles make fights" in boxing, differing styles of play make college basketball special. But I don't expect the idiots in charge to understand that. They'll do whatever television tells them to do. #thatshowwhoresact

I like the college shot clock where it is. The NBA is boring. I totally agree on the lack of traveling and palming calls. The "Euro" step or two is just annoying. It's closer to professional wrestling than basketball. Yes, the NBA guys are incredibly skilled--maybe too good, but who cares. It's getting harder to recognize the game as basketball. I would rather watch golf--maybe switch back to watch the last 3-4 minutes of an NBA game.

None of these reasons you name have anything to do with the shotclock though.

You guys all realize that the game of the 90's and early 2000's had a drastically higher possession count right? Teams now just milk the clock almost every possession so the game is changing to get possessions back up.

Back