• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC vs Maryland heating up

The Superior Court Judge that initially hears this case is elected, with elections being every 8 years. Certainly some of them, I would not want to decide a seat belt violation, much less something of this significance. I am sure the attorneys will place this in front of someone reliable

The butthurt associated with WVU not getting invited to the ACC is astonishing.

they're a weird bunch in general, but their attitudes regarding conference realignment are off the charts

I wonder if DonaldRoss is in a position where he can talk about this on the boards? He probably is more informed on this issue than all of us put together.

Louisville currently number 1 in basketball and their football team just made the Sugar Bowl and beat UF. The ACC will be fine without MD, but not before the conference fleece's their bankrupt AD. Good times.

It is hilarious that the ACC is withholding their payouts. Without help from the Big Ten, they may not be able to pay their debt service.

Louisville currently number 1 in basketball and their football team just made the Sugar Bowl and beat UF. The ACC will be fine without MD, but not before the conference fleece's their bankrupt AD. Good times.

It is hilarious that the ACC is withholding their payouts. Without help from the Big Ten, they may not be able to pay their debt service.

It's funny but I am curious how long they can legally do that. James post on here made several points I didn't realize.

In the long run adding Maryland and Rutgers really weakens the Big Ten athletically and doesn't solve their shifting population issues. If ala cart TV happens (which seems inevitable given technology shifts) then the financial reasons for adding those schools goes away. If the Big Ten really wanted to land UNC/UVA then they shouldn't have wasted a spot on Rutgers that could have been used to include another southern school to woo UNC. Nobody wants to play Rutgers regularly and now UNC sure as hell doesn't want to be forced into following Maryland to the Big Ten. Bad blood now makes it easier to justify choosing the SEC if a collapse occurs.

The Rutger/MD adds could go down as Delaney's major misstep. He was angry about ND and wanted to make a big move to respond, but didn't have a strong enough hand to land anyone better than Maryland and Rutgers. He thinks this was a proactive step to getting the big fish but it could easily backfire. I don't think Rutgers/MD is going to make PSU less likely to jump to the ACC if ND joined in full (PSU is bitter about the Big Ten like MD always was about the ACC). Even if Delaney's plan does come true and he gets UNC, Duke, and UVA - those are still weak football programs in weak college football states further watering down Big Ten football's long term appeal like Rutgers/MD.

All that said, Maryland leaving might collapse the conference because of the ensuing fear and distrust. Point at the Big East and tell me schools leaving doesn't produce financial damages that could reach 10s of millions. There was no guarantee the ACC could find a good 14th school or prevent a mass exodus at that point. Explain how Maryland's president suggests 1.3x revenue as an exit fee and now they say publicly they'll get out for under 10 million, less than his proposed fee in the previous agreement.

Last edited:
As the head of the Terrapin Club in Pittsburgh, in what way is Pitt better than Maryland?

They're not trying to get out of paying us our $50M.

Maryland paying any less than $50 mil would be devastating to the ACC. FSU and Clemson would be gone the day after.

Yeah, the ACC needs to set a precedent by extracting as much as possible from MD.

Back