• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC wants to change Championship Game Requirements- also 9 games?

What I'd like to see:
--9 games with 3 annual rivalry games including the Big Four having each other.
--Top two finishers play in the ACCCG. That would be tougher for us but it makes sense without pure divisions.

Wake won't play in a championship game with the current divisions anyways. Might as well play teams we want to.

Nine game schedule, no divisions each school gets four permanent opponents and rotates the other five every year. You play everyone in the conference at least once every two years.

WF- Duke, UNC, NC State, BC
Duke- WF, UNC, NC State, Syracuse
UNC- NC State, Duke, WF, UVa
NC State- UNC, WF, Duke, Clemson
GT- Clemson, FSU, Louisville, Miami
FSU- Miami, Clemson, GT, VT
Miami- FSU, GT, Clemson, Louisville
Clemson- GT, FSU, Miami, NC State
VT- UVa, Pitt, FSU, Louisville
UVa- VT, UNC, Pitt, BC
Louisville - GT, Syracuse, VT, Miami
Pitt- BC, Syracuse, UVA, VT
Syracuse- BC, Pitt, Duke, Louisville
BC- Syracuse, Pitt, WF, UVa

GT will howl about it worse than anyone. But it looks worse than it is. Remember each school sees every school in the ACC in a two year span.

Why 4 rivals instead of 3?

If I were GT (and to a lesser extent, Miami or FSU), I'd certainly be unhappy about that schedule.

Why 4 rivals instead of 3?

UNC needs UVa in addition to the Big Four and NC State needs Clemson in addition to to the Big Four. With a nine game schedule 4 rivals let's you split the remaining 10 teams even into 5 one year and the other five the next.

If I were GT (and to a lesser extent, Miami or FSU), I'd certainly be unhappy about that schedule.

You have to decide what you're trying to accomplish with your scheduling. Equity of schedule strength which is frankly impossible to achieve anyway or preserve traditional and regional rivals while keeping as many desirable tv match ups as possible.

UNC needs UVa in addition to the Big Four and NC State needs Clemson in addition to to the Big Four. With a nine game schedule 4 rivals let's you split the remaining 10 teams even into 5 one year and the other five the next.

With 4 rivals there are 9 teams left unless you're counting ND somehow.

Dear Notre Dame, We regret to inform you.......

With the new format next year you may get left out of the playoffs if you don't have a strong enough strength of schedule. If these schools want to compete nationally this is a good thing for them.

You also may get left out if you aren't undefeated.

We should probably plan on an 8 team playoff system with 6 league champions and two wild cards. After the smoke clears, it is the only option that makes since. Also, maintaining rivalries is critical if you want fans to attend games....

I know that most of the realignment stuff is over, but this year should clearly show FSU that being in the ACC is in its best interest.

Back