• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Acoustic Guitar...

CHDeac

Reaction score
My wife wants an acoustic guitar. She's never played. But she has a musical background and will most likely ilke it, take lessons, etc.

Anything I should look for? How much should I expect to pay?

Thanks in advance...

I like Taylors, but there are lots of good choices. Go to a local shop, and they can suggest models with good frets and strings for new players. The prices are all over the place. I would start out with something mid-priced (mid 3 figures; maybe used). If she gets into it, she can move up later. But don't go too cheap either. Slightly nicer guitars are definitely easier on the fingers than some of the really cheap ones.

I have a Taylor 414 and would very much recommend them. But they are expensive. They have 100 series that may be in decent price range for a beginner. What kind of music does she want to play? Probably my favorite guitar is a cedar top Yamaha nylon string acoustic I picked up for $100 years ago. It doesn't stay in tune very well but it is so easy to play and just has a great sound. I would look at the less expensive Yamahas.

Takamine. Don't get a Taylor. They are expensive and not a guitar for beginners. She may not even like playing the damn thing once she starts. Takamine G series are good guitars for the price. They play well and sound pretty good. Make sure you mention to the guys at Guitar Center or wherever that you are buying it for your wife. Presumably, she does not have man hands so a thinner neck will be preferable. G series fits the bill.

Oh, I also have a Yamaha that plays pretty good. They tend to be priced pretty well too.

I loved learning on a guitar with Nylon strings, easier on the fingers and sounds great.

If you're in CH/Durham, go to High Strung in Durham and tell them who you're buying for, they'll get you set up right.

Like others have said, Taylors are outstanding. Their action and sound are incredible. But they are expensive.

Yamahas are really good for the price. They play really easy and sound better than many more expensive guitars.

Maybe we have showed you a great combination of gifts. Buy her a Yamaha now. In a couple of years if she's still playing, get her a Taylor.

We've solved two Christmases for you. :)

Another vote for Takamine. If it becomes a serious hobby, there are a million ways to spend a ton of money but if you go too cheap, the crummy entry-level ones are tough to play and will discourage a lot of people.

Get a second hand guitar. Chances are you'll go far, if you get in with the right bunch of fellows.

This. Silly to waste $$ on a Taylor or Tak until the player is committed.

Get her a Baby Taylor or an Epiphone Masterbuilt. I play and collect guitars (have over 100). If you have any questions, I would be glad to help. PM me if you would like.

Has anyone used that Chord Buddy thing? Any impressions, good or bad? I inherited my father's Martin and it is a shame that it just sits around with no one playing it...

Has anyone used that Chord Buddy thing? Any impressions, good or bad? I inherited my father's Martin and it is a shame that it just sits around with no one playing it...

If you have an ear for music at all, just pick it up, look at a basic youtube (like how to hold it/place your fingers) and find simple tabs for songs you know. Then, you just make the guitar sound like the song. Easy peasy. It's 100% practice.

If you have an ear for music at all, just pick it up, look at a basic youtube (like how to hold it/place your fingers) and find simple tabs for songs you know. Then, you just make the guitar sound like the song. Easy peasy. It's 100% practice.

sort of. if you have infinite time like a person in HS or college does.

i did take lessons for one summer and it was pretty helpful learning theory to fill in the gaps

Three components are the action (easier on the fingers), volume, and tone quality. The last 2 factors really don't matter for beginners. Taylors (and Martins if you're into bluegrass) are well worth the money for regular guitarists but not a wise investment for beginners - why would she care that her guitar was twice as loud when she hasn't even learned to play it yet? If you get a $100 cheapo, she might get discouraged and quit because they're too difficult to play. I'd suggested a mid-range like an Alvarez, maybe one with a premium neck, for about $350. Coated Elixir strings will make a big difference and the'll last a little longer than regular strings. Then if she really gets into it, she could easily get 60% of the money back and put it toward the purchase of a nicer guitar.

When you buy it, I'd suggest you having the guitar shop set up the action and string it with new Elixirs. My local guitar shop does that for free with the purchase of a new guitar, but other places may charge around $30.

Back