• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Activism in Sports (or Official Knots Thread)

Another good one is "virtue signaling"

Yes absolutely.

Another simplified criticism from the right now is "I don't oppose Black Lives Matter as an idea, I oppose the platform the organization holds and people chanting Black Lives Matter need to be aware of what the organization endorses." First and foremost, "black lives matter" as a saying originated prior to the organization (obviously) as an organic comment. The vast majority of people protesting and chanting probably aren't even aware there is an official Black Lives Matter organization that has capitalized off of the statement and almost certainly aren't becoming mouthpieces for all organizational tenets out there.

This is just a really lazy way to try and discredit those kneeling or saying "black lives matter." Again, it's why conservatives have had political success - they specialize in simplifying complex issues into a black and white area and package it to their constituency that way. It's also why they're having issues now though - where issues can't become stripped down to such a distinction (or objective facts present themselves which are very difficult to spin to the masses like coronavirus deaths/incidence rate) their followers become confused and it muddles the overall message.

I'm also tired of the lazy use of "Marxism" as a catchall for any non-far right political stance

Conservatives use Marxism to condemn all structural complaints about society. If you complain about 1 racist, it's political correctness - if you complain about a whole system being racist, it's Marxism. The current move is for conservatives to say "I agree that Black Lives Matter, but "I don't support the Black Lives Matter organization because it's run by Marxists".

Conservatives use Marxism to condemn all structural complaints about society. If you complain about 1 racist, it's political correctness - if you complain about a whole system being racist, it's Marxism. The current move is for conservatives to say "I agree that Black Lives Matter, but "I don't support the Black Lives Matter organization because it's run by Marxists".

Yeah I've seen this a ton on Twitter. Of course, if the latter part as a reductive boogeyman weren't available they'd simply find another reason to fill in the blank and avoid supporting the former. "I agree that Black Lives Matter, but 'I don't support the Black Lives Matter organization because there has been looting at these so-called peaceful protests!'"

I mean they people running BLM have said they are and I quote "well trained Marxists"

Yeah I've seen this a ton on Twitter. Of course, if the latter part as a reductive boogeyman weren't available they'd simply find another reason to fill in the blank and avoid supporting the former. "I agree that Black Lives Matter, but 'I don't support the Black Lives Matter organization because there has been looting at these so-called peaceful protests!'"

The looting is all opportunist not directly related to BLM movement, and 95% of the rioting is done by silver spoon white Antifa brats. So I give BLM a pass on the looting and rioting.

I mean they people running BLM have said they are and I quote "well trained Marxists"

I don't mind using the term Marxist when it's actually referring to Marxist ideology

It's just intellectually lazy to substitute "Marxist" for any leftist or left-leaning idea, like LGBTQ+ rights or something

Sure, great for them. Why does that matter to people who barely even know what marxism means? Do you know of any powerful alternative black social justice groups with massive national organizational abilities that dont have Marxist founders? Presumably when uncle David from Ames Iowa is bitching about Marxist BLM to his college age nephew on Facebook, he's not proposing any non-Marxist alternatives.

I don't mind using the term Marxist when it's actually referring to Marxist ideology

It's just intellectually lazy to substitute "Marxist" for any leftist or left-leaning idea, like LGBTQ+ rights or something

catamount, intellectually lazy? surely not.

or this cat tagsfan talking about Adam Smith vs. Karl Marx re: football players getting paid or not

Cosplay? You must be thinking of the cornfed neonazi doofuses dressed up as soldiers.

TBF there are definitely bad intentioned opportunists on both sides, but the cosplay LARPers are definitely the needle dick wannabe storm troopers walking around with guns.

How many correct discrete points about Marxism can the average person using the term as a slur rattle off before they miss one? Over/under 1.5? And that’s if you’re generous in grouping any general or derivative statements about communism

I heard Martin Luther King Jr. was a communist. Weird how communists and marxists keep stepping up to run black civil rights movements.

In a weird and stupid way it's actually heartening to see all the conservatives bitching at pro athletes for opting out of the season because "we still have to work for low wages to support our families when we might get COVID".

They are soo close to a breakthrough. If only they would turn their ire on the real enemy

In a way, conservatives treat (Black) professional athletes they way that they should be treating industrialists and the ultra wealthy, as disrespectful ingrates

They might be one of those ultra rich industrialists one day. They know they will never be a professional athlete.

Back