• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for calling internationally

CDeacMan

Ishmael Smith
Reaction score
I'm going to Germany next week for a two week business trip, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to be able to call my wife while I am over there without paying an arm and a leg for service. I'm looking into options, but was hoping someone could help me out with anything they have had success with in the past (we both have Verizon): international calling cards, setting up some temporary international service through Verizon, Skype, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skype or google hangout should work fine, but then you're sort of limited to using the computer. Not sure how much of an issue that would be for you.

do you have an iphone? i've used an app before called talkatone. it goes through either google or facebook (you choose), and you can make calls over wifi. it's free, which is nice, but it's also not entirely reliable. if you have a really good wifi connection, you should be fine. but certain wifi settings will block voice communications. we always run into this problem when DHToy is in airports. for some reason airports don't like for you to be able to call through their wifi. but personal wifi spots always work. and again, free is always a plus.

If you have an I phone then get the skype app. It's really cheap to use and as long as you have a good WiFi signal it works well. You just pull it up and dial the number home like you normall would. I could be wrong but I think you can even use your "contacts" from your Iphone so you don't even have to dial. We did this when we went to Turks and Caicos and just kept our phones on Airplane mode with Wifi enabled to prevent calls trying to come in and running up a big bill. Alternatively you could just leave your phone off until you want to call you wife.

Definitely try the Google+ Hangout. They are pretty awesome.

Definitely try the Google+ Hangout. They are pretty awesome.

I'm not familiar with it. I read briefly about it on the web but what would you say makes it better than Skype? I am always up for using a better program

Back