• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice Request: New Laptop / Windows 8

Brangus

Reaction score
Buying a new laptop. How bad is Windows 8? I've heard all these bad news stories. It seems only the refurbished computers have Windows 7 now and I want a new machine. I don't want an Apple product, just personal preference.

Also, any suggestions on a budget friendly (say $500) laptop with a built in webcam for skype (one brand vs. another etc.?). I don't do a lot of gaming....my kids would use it for simple games. High video quality would be nice for family videos, etc.

Meh, you'll get used to it after a week. It's really a super fast OS, and if you hate the lack of start button there are easy ways to get it back with third party software.

If you can find a laptop with a touchscreen that might make Windows 8 even more intuitive/fun to use. Did that for my sister for xmas and she loves it. Was an Asus machine and had really nice build quality for the price we got it at.

If that's what you'd use it for, you might want to consider a tablet.

I'll happily put off Windows 8 for another year or two.

Running Windows 8 on one personal machine until I get time to replace it. Can't imagine using it on a work computer. Complaints include the familiar lack of start button, inabiity to start up to desktop (or an application) and obscure placement of simple functions. Other complaints include lack of customization and almost no interoperability between desktop applications and start screen apps. It is fast, especially starting up. Apologist comments like "the basic concept is good" and "you get used to it" aren't exactly ringing endorsements for an OS. Maybe Blue or 8.1 or whatever it's called will be better.

There are still tons of laptops available with Windows 7, or better yet 7 with a free upgrade to 8 if the design failures are fixed and you want to switch later on.

Running Windows 8 on one personal machine until I get time to replace it. Can't imagine using it on a work computer. Complaints include the familiar lack of start button, inabiity to start up to desktop (or an application) and obscure placement of simple functions. Other complaints include lack of customization and almost no interoperability between desktop applications and start screen apps. It is fast, especially starting up. Apologist comments like "the basic concept is good" and "you get used to it" aren't exactly ringing endorsements for an OS. Maybe Blue or 8.1 or whatever it's called will be better.

There are still tons of laptops available with Windows 7, or better yet 7 with a free upgrade to 8 if the design failures are fixed and you want to switch later on.

I mean, the "get used to it" is just a basic tenet of anything attempting to evolve. Windows was getting stale and needed a shake up and a push into the mobile market. There was always going to be a learning curve. The real challenge is going to be making their system dev friendly enough to make the app market even halfway decent.

And you can start up to a specific application/desktop if you want. I forget exactly how, but I did that on my media machine. (I think it was just adding the program you want to the list of start-up programs, or just explorer.exe to get to the desktop)

If you're really hung up on having a start menu, this is well worth the 5 bucks: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

Start8 is the shit! You never see a stupid tile again.

Windows 8 without a touchscreen would probably suck. It did not take me long to get used to the new OS but I use a touchscreen laptop so it makes everything easier. The OS was definitely designed to be used on touchscreen devices, sucks for some people it comes standard on lower cost models I guess.

Windows 8 is BBD gay*, especially on a keyboard PC. Stay away at all costs.

*NTTIAWWT

Back