• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALEC's fight against solar

WFFaithful

Reaction score
"An alliance of corporations and conservative activists is mobilising to penalise homeowners who install their own solar panels – casting them as "freeriders" – in a sweeping new offensive against renewable energy, the Guardian has learned.

"This is an issue we are going to be exploring," Eick said. He said Alec wanted to lower the rate electricity companies pay homeowners for direct power generation – and maybe even charge homeowners for feeding power into the grid.

In November, Arizona became the first state to charge customers for installing solar panels. The fee, which works out to about $5 a month for the average homeowner, was far lower than that sought by the main electricity company, which was seeking to add up to $100 a month to customers' bills. "

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/04/alec-freerider-homeowners-assault-clean-energy

So insane.
Eick told the Guardian the group would be looking closely in the coming year at how individual homeowners with solar panels are compensated for feeding surplus electricity back into the grid.

"This is an issue we are going to be exploring," Eick said. He said Alec wanted to lower the rate electricity companies pay homeowners for direct power generation – and maybe even charge homeowners for feeding power into the grid.

"As it stands now, those direct generation customers are essentially freeriders on the system. They are not paying for the infrastructure they are using. In effect, all the other non direct generation customers are being penalised," he said.

Eick dismissed the suggestion that individuals who buy and install home-based solar panels had made such investments. "How are they going to get that electricity from their solar panel to somebody else's house?" he said. "They should be paying to distribute the surplus electricity."

One of the biggest problems affecting more residential solar installations are HOA's (Homeowner Associations). Many have restrictions to solar because of aesthetics. Particularly glare from the panels. Panels looking unsightly on the roofs and the list goes on...

I can attest first hand as I am constructing a home in the high country of NC and submitted plans for I believe was 8kw of generation. The local HOA shot me down even though there is a statute in NC which promotes residential solar. The statute states that as long as the panels are not visible from an accessible street or road then the HOA has to allow. The panels from my construction are only partially visible from the street. FWIW, Congress (House) has passed a resolution allowing solar on any residential dwelling regardless of HOA statutes. The measure is in one of the numerous Senate committees awaiting action...Solar City stock symbol SCTY headquartered in Ca. is doing a booming business installing solar systems on homes and leasing the installed systems from the homeowner. Most projects are in the Western US but plans are to go nationwide soon. You can learn more by going to their website.

This is pretty crazy. Or stupid. One if those two.

One of the biggest problems affecting more residential solar installations are HOA's (Homeowner Associations). Many have restrictions to solar because of aesthetics. Particularly glare from the panels. Panels looking unsightly on the roofs and the list goes on...

I can attest first hand as I am constructing a home in the high country of NC and submitted plans for I believe was 8kw of generation. The local HOA shot me down even though there is a statute in NC which promotes residential solar. The statute states that as long as the panels are not visible from an accessible street or road then the HOA has to allow. The panels from my construction are only partially visible from the street. FWIW, Congress (House) has passed a resolution allowing solar on any residential dwelling regardless of HOA statutes. The measure is in one of the numerous Senate committees awaiting action...Solar City stock symbol SCTY headquartered in Ca. is doing a booming business installing solar systems on homes and leasing the installed systems from the homeowner. Most projects are in the Western US but plans are to go nationwide soon. You can learn more by going to their website.

I think we can all agree that HOA's suck, right?

Back