• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

All ACC Major NCAA Infractions

tsywake

Sheikh of Smoke
Staff member
Reaction score
After finding this link on Reddit, I started down a wormhole. The website lists all major infractions from each conference. No surprise the SEC has the most, but I learned the ACC also has 52, and Wake has 2 of those, both in basketball. Anyone around at the time that can share more insight? I'm pretty sure the second involved Loren Woods, but I was not aware of the first.

10/31/83 Infraction - Public Report

6/21/94 Infraction - Public Report

Second one is our old pal Mahktar N’Diaye, whose name I have undoubtedly misspelled. I don’t know who was involved with the first one.

Second one is our old pal Mahktar N’Diaye, whose name I have undoubtedly misspelled. I don’t know who was involved with the first one.

this is correct, from my recollection it was concerning his interpreter. the one in 83', i was a little too young to remember.

Ahhh, completely forgot about Mahktar. I know Woods transferred, and was thinking it was him instead.

If GIFs existed in 1983, that NCAA would have simply tweeted this at the athletic department, that's basically the punishment in the letter.

Well that was supposed to be a "disappointed" gif but apparently I no longer know how to attach gifs and I don't care enough to figure it out so just imagine there's the gif of that guy with his hands on his hips who turns around, disappointed in what he is witnessing.

As for who, this should be in my wheelhouse but I don't know for sure. The letter mentions they were "highly recruited" in 83 so they'd be frosh in 84 which leaves us with Mark Cline and Muggsy Bogues.

Last edited:
I thought we got our hands slapped for Tucker when Staak recruited him out of Georgetown. It was something like driving him too far for dinner.

I thought we got our hands slapped for Tucker when Staak recruited him out of Georgetown. It was something like driving him too far for dinner.

We did. But it wasn’t a “major” violation

Wake hired an interpreter for Ndiaye and his family and the recruiter gave Ndiaye money, clothes, etc., which was a no-no.

I found a NYT article referencing a public reprimand of Wake in '83 based on improper recruitment actitivities but the article doesn't name names and I'm not sure the NCAA did at the time, either.

Thinking back, Cline but not Muggsy would have been regarded as "highly recruited". Cline was a burger boy, Muggsy was a "can you believe Wake gave a scholly to a 5'3 guy?" recruit.

IIRC the biggest Mahktar punishment was he wasn't allowed to play* at Wake. It's been a while since I read A March to Madness but the details are in there.

Last edited:
I was at Wake when Mahktar was there. He was in Duncan's class and everyone was much more excited about Mahktar (he was ineligible his freshmen year and that made him seem even more intriguing). Then the NCAA ruled he couldn't stay at Wake and he transferred to Michigan which was a powerhouse at the time and still had Jalen Rose and Juwan Howard. We were pissed because this must mean that he was a great player. Turned out he sucked and then he transferred again to UNC where he sucked and also got into an ugly racial incident at the final four. Maybe he would have been better if he could have played at Wake alongside Duncan, but overall, he was nothing but a headache for Wake.

IIRC the biggest Mahktar punishment was he wasn't allowed to play* at Wake. It's been a while since I read A March to Madness but the details are in there.
The NCAA write up, says, no overseas recruiting for a year, scholarship limit and coach's salary frozen for a year. I could be wrong but I thought Mahktar leaving pushed Wake to play Duncan.

Thinking back, Cline but not Muggsy would have been regarded as "highly recruited". Cline was a burger boy, Muggsy was a "can you believe Wake gave a scholly to a 5'3 guy?" recruit.
This is sort of true, but, Muggsy was MVP on literally one of the greatest high school teams of all time - 3 first round NBA picks and a second rounder (I had to look that up but remembered that they were an incredible team).

The NCAA write up, says, no overseas recruiting for a year, scholarship limit and coach's salary frozen for a year. I could be wrong but I thought Mahktar leaving pushed Wake to play Duncan.

Mahktar leaving and Peral getting suspended for the beginning of the season forced Odom's hand.

Back