• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

All-Encompassing NFL Domestic Violence Thread

Just curious, why does the video make what happened worse than it already was? We knew that Ray Rice had knocked his girlfriend/fiance unconscious. Seeing him do it makes the crime worse than if we had no video evidence?

Ray Rice is a piece of shit. The 2 game suspension is bullshit. But is there anybody who has had their mind changed by seeing the full video?

Just curious, why does the video make what happened worse than it already was? We knew that Ray Rice had knocked his girlfriend/fiance unconscious. Seeing him do it makes the crime worse than if we had no video evidence?

Ray Rice is a piece of shit. The 2 game suspension is bullshit. But is there anybody who has had their mind changed by seeing the full video?

I guess because there was no real provocation. The unsaid defense was that she was beating the shit out of him and he used self defense.

This is my reaction. Not sure what people expected to see here.

Since she struck him first in the lobby, and came after him in the elevator, are they trying to use self defense as an excuse?

Looks like he backed away from her in the elevator too. There are two problems here which undercut this terrible situation- she strikes him first (it appears) and then she stands by him and marries him. That is truly a symptom of the cycle of violence. And it's tragic.

I guess because there was no real provocation. The unsaid defense was that she was beating the shit out of him and he used self defense.

As said earlier in this thread, there is no excuse for knocking a woman out even if she is hitting you- the guy is a 220lb RB in somewhat close to peak physical condition- he could control her without hitting her.

@DanWetzel
Don't worry, only a few weeks until NFL puts pink on its uniforms to show it cares about women.

I would hope that by now nobody is surprised at how these things are handled in professional sports.

Professional athletes have been worshipped, paid obscene amounts of money & coddled for so long now that they have the opinion that laws made for others do not apply to them.....and, so far, their opinion has been proven to be correct time & again.

It's a disgusting, amoral, money-driven sewer.

What about coaches who get away with violent acts?

This is my reaction. Not sure what people expected to see here.

Honestly I thought it would've been a case where she was swinging, scratching, kicking, biting, etc. him and he hit her in response, which still would've been very wrong and inexcusable. However, I do think the fact that she didn't even touch him makes it even worse. It tells me that he needs no real provocation to hit a woman which is very dangerous. Again, it is still very wrong and bad to strike a woman even if provoked, but for him to strike her so easily for nothing other then something it appears she said is horrible. I can't imagine how the commish could look at that and only give him 2 games. He ought to be in jail in the first place.

Personally, I was always under the impression that she was going off on him much worse than the video now indicates, like she went batshit crazy on him and he knocked her out after being struck many times. She slapped him in the foyer, maybe once in the elevator, then he knocks her out as she approached for a 3rd strike. My natural instinct would have been to restrain any woman, much less my fiance rather than throw a punch. To me, the video shows the events were much worse than they were originally purported to be.

Honestly I thought it would've been a case where she was swinging, scratching, kicking, biting, etc. him and he hit her in response, which still would've been very wrong and inexcusable. However, I do think the fact that she didn't even touch him makes it even worse. It tells me that he needs no real provocation to hit a woman which is very dangerous. Again, it is still very wrong and bad to strike a woman even if provoked, but for him to strike her so easily for nothing other then something it appears she said is horrible. I can't imagine how the commish could look at that and only give him 2 games. He ought to be in jail in the first place.

This. The spin I heard was she was going apeshit on him. That doesn't make it right, not even close, of course. But they made her out to be a physical assailant. The TMZ video makes that narrative bullshit.

Personally, I was always under the impression that she was going off on him much worse than the video now indicates, like she went batshit crazy on him and he knocked her out after being struck many time[/B]s. She slapped him in the foyer, maybe once in the elevator, then he knocks her out as she approached for a 3rd strike. My natural instinct would have been to restrain any woman, much less my fiance rather than throw a punch. To me, the video shows the events were much worse than they were originally purported to be.

Exactly. I mean it's never okay to strike a woman, but let's say she's kicking, swinging, scratching at him like a mad person, I think you could see maybe he decides that's the only way to stop it. Although, you'd like to think he would just restrain her in that case. To hit her like that over little provocation, that's reprehensible.

I would hope that by now nobody is surprised at how these things are handled in professional sports.

Professional athletes have been worshipped, paid obscene amounts of money & coddled for so long now that they have the opinion that laws made for others do not apply to them.....and, so far, their opinion has been proven to be correct time & again.

It's a disgusting, amoral, money-driven sewer.

Proof? Arguably, this isn't the most violent act by a person named Ray that this organization has turned a blind eye to.

Go team go.

The Ravens are going to have to end up cutting him. I don't see any other way out of this for them.

The Ravens are going to have to end up cutting him. I don't see any other way out of this for them.

Do you really think the Ravens are going to cut him? Last time we saw him his fans were giving him a standing ovation.

Back