• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

All Hail the Profit BabyDeac !!

OldGoldBeard

A Sorry WR Like Crabtree
Reaction score
January 10, 2014

The basketball situation is adversely impacting the fundraising efforts. Make no mistake. I was told by the folks responsible for fundraising that they hear it every day! That is one of many reasons that this season will be the last before RW regretfully informs us of Bz's resignation and thanks him for putting our program in a position to enjoy great success in future years.

January 24, 2014

Money. That is the driving factor.

Big $$ gave the AD a long leash, trusted the message, found that wanting, and has become increasingly impatient. It has been quite clear that overall fan support for the program has been adversely impacted over the last four years. Look around the Joel on any given night, even for supposedly "big" games. It's just sad, really, thinking about where we were just a few years ago. Small-donor contributions have dropped significantly, but not enough to alter the commitment to the current situation given major-donor support. However, recently overall fundraising efforts have been impacted and the athletic situation in general, and the basketball program in particular, are frequently cited by donors declining to contribute, leading to support levels below expectation. Clearly, this negative impact is now being felt beyond the AD.

Player morale has never been a consideration. The players have not been happy, but that has not factored into consideration.

RW made the tough but correct call concerning Jim Grobe. He went "all in" on the football program at the beginning of the year, and it didnt work out as envisioned. It was handled with class and dignity, and a surprising number of folks bought the spin. (I guess I shouldnt be surprised, given how many have swallowed the "culture change" crap hook, line, and sinker.) Expect a similar approach at the end of the basketball season. With one year remaining, there needs to be an extension or a change.

February 4, 2014

Depending on how the rest of the season plays out, it is yet to be determined whether this year is more successful than last, especially relative to expectations. Given yet another year on the job, this season needed to be significantly better than last, and by any reasonable standard it is not yet clear that it will be, and has the potential to get ugly quick. Several key things are different since last year. So, to answer your question as to what changed ...
1) Expectations. Even if you want to argue that by playing a cupcake schedule the record may be slightly better this year, performance has fallen short of "successful", especially when considering whether a contract extension would be warranted.
2) Contract status. The clock is ticking. Another year has past. Going into the final year of a five-year contract, either an extension or a resignation will occur.
3) Another year of frustration. Bz's, not ours. Courtney has graduated. Nina is unhappy. He has offered to resign before. This time RW will take him up on the offer.
4) Money. Saved the most important one for last. That is the driving factor. Big $$ gave the AD a long leash, trusted the message, found that wanting, and has become increasingly impatient. They are expressing greater concern than ever. Small-donor contributions already had dropped significantly, but not enough to alter the commitment to the current situation given major-donor support. However, recently overall fundraising efforts have been impacted and the athletic situation in general, and the basketball program in particular, are frequently cited by donors declining to contribute, leading to support levels below expectation. Clearly, this negative impact is now being felt beyond the AD.

Most important, while the imbecile panic monkeys like Bud at Wake were squawking about how Bzz would be back next year, your never-ceasing, always-reliable "Tick tock"s helped keep many of us sane. Thank you, BabyDeac, KVegas, Childress Crossing, and the others who held the line. This one's for you.

Can we change the title from "Profit" to "Prophet"?

Can we change the title from "Profit" to "Prophet"?

i think he was doing that to allude to the money aspect of the topic? giving a guy who is usually intelligent the benefit of the doubt

Baby Deac, I never lost faith in you...however, began to wonder if the clock would ever strike 12!

You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Hear hear!

And yes, OGB misspelled the word in the thread title on purpose. Some of you. I just know about some of you.

yet somehow people on the 247 and scout sites pay actual money and get much, much less

Obviously our greatest victory of the year was celebrated in style today on the quad! It has been a rough four years to say the least. I am sad for the students that had to endure the Bzz years but excited for those still on campus. The only thing I agreed with RW on today was that the future of WF is bright. Claws and almost anyone is better than Buzz. Great day to be a Deac!

yet somehow people on the 247 and scout sites pay actual money and get much, much less

Bingo. Not only is the inside info provided by BabyDeac free, but the news was officially broken by a free blog, BSD. That's exactly the model laid out by IrishSlim when he and the others were starting this place. In the age of Twitter and blog proliferation, charging for info is a dying breed. These past two months have gone a long way, at least in the Wake community, of proving that. Which I guess means we also have to hail the Profit IrishSlim.

Now let's go out and hire a great coach and rebuild a flagship basketball program that will once again contend for championships in the ACC. Go Deacs!

How much faith do you have in Chairman Ron hiring a great coach? I wasn't overly optimistic before that abortion of a presser. I'm less optimistic now. And do you know if Chairman Ron is working in a vaccuum or is there some oversight by the BOT?

BabyDeac, if you had to bet money on one candidate being our next coach, who ya got? If it's Russell Turner or Jeff Capel, please lie. I want to enjoy this night.

Now let's go out and hire a great coach and rebuild a flagship basketball program that will once again contend for championships in the ACC. Go Deacs!

like who?

who is YOUR top pick?

When one Googles "Irish prophet," this shows up

drunk_leprechaun.jpg

I can't give Babydeac any more pos rep right now, so I'll just say, "Bless your heart!"

Back